Scheduled LAVH Upcoming hysterectomy 11/16: Pre-op appointment scared me. UPDATED 11/16 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 11/16: Pre-op appointment scared me. UPDATED 11/16 Upcoming hysterectomy 11/16: Pre-op appointment scared me. UPDATED 11/16

Unread 11-07-2016, 06:58 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 11/16: Pre-op appointment scared me. UPDATED 11/16

Hi all! I'm so happy to have found this forum! I will be having a laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy and bilateral salpingectomy (leaving ovaries) on 11/16/2016 - just 3 days after my 40th birthday. Happy Birthday to me!!

The reason I am having this done is because of this (copied from my chart): "The uterus is present, anteverted, without deviation, and measures 12.3 x 8.9 x 9.5 cm.
The myometrium is heterogenous.
The endometrial thickness is 7.2 mm.
There is a posterior, submucosal/transmural fibroid that abuts and displaces the endometrium, measuring 8.9 x 7.6 x 9.2 cm." I'm not sure what all of that means, but I have had extremely heavy bleeding leading to severe anemia for several years. I have tried so many things to control the bleeding from natural alternatives to every form of birth control and the hysterectomy is my last resort. I don't necessarily have a lot of pain from the fibroid, but my doctor said there is a lot of crowding and that I will feel enormous relief once that is gone. I do experience lower back pain and leaking bladder on occasion.

The main reason I want this done is because of the bleeding. I am a running coach and when I can't participate in life because of my excessive bleeding or the week after my period because the extreme fatigue from anemia I become very depressed. I have 3 amazing biological children and one miracle 3 year old adopted through foster care (we brought her home from the NICU). We plan to foster/adopt more, but definitely no more biological children due to hyperemesis during all of my pregnancies. So, that's my history.

I had my pre-op appointment today and I know the doctor has to disclose all possible complications, but that made me very nervous! My biggest fear is nausea and vomiting post-op. I have been diagnosed with PTSD from the hyperemesis during my pregnancies and nausea and vomiting literally cause panic attacks. My doctor prescribed an anti-nausea patch to apply the evening before my surgery and she assures me that they would keep me overnight in the hospital if I was experiencing nausea or any other complications. I know I need this surgery, but I would love to hear from others to help set my mind at ease.

Thank you for reading this and sorry it got so long!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-07-2016, 08:31 PM
Re: 9 days until surgery. Pre-op appointment scared me.

Be sure to let the anesthesiologist about your nausea Concer when they are prepping you. They might give you something additional.
Unread 11-07-2016, 09:00 PM

Hi Ksjeta4 to HysterSisters!

I am so glad you found this site. All of your emotions are very normal. This is one difficult surgery to face and digest. Your logical self knows that this is solving a medical problem, but your emotional self still has not resolved the whole thing. That is okay - that is how I was.

Letting your anesthesiologist know about your nausea is a good idea. Let her or him also know what your regular doctor gave you. Also let your entire medical team know about your PTSD, and how you get panic attacks.

I had gotten nausea in the past from the anesthetic. I made sure my anesthesiologist knew. She told met that they use much better medications now, but she also gave me something with my anesthesia to help. When I woke up from surgery, I was not sick at all.

Just know that you are not alone in this. We are here for you and understand what you are going through.

T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-07-2016, 10:10 PM

Hi, I just had my surgery 7 days ago. One of my biggest fears was also post op nausea and vomiting. I had severe nausea with a prior surgery many years ago. This time, they gave me a scopolamine patch, which was applied right before the surgery, and they gave me zofran and decadron in the OR. I did not have one bit of nausea!!! I was so relieved! I left the patch on after I got home and removed it after48 hours. I had no nausea at home either.
Unread 11-12-2016, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sapphire View Post
Hi, I just had my surgery 7 days ago. One of my biggest fears was also post op nausea and vomiting. I had severe nausea with a prior surgery many years ago. This time, they gave me a scopolamine patch, which was applied right before the surgery, and they gave me zofran and decadron in the OR. I did not have one bit of nausea!!! I was so relieved! I left the patch on after I got home and removed it after48 hours. I had no nausea at home either.
That's what my doctor prescribed. Thank you sharing and helping to ease my anxiety!!
Unread 11-12-2016, 08:19 PM

I had really severe nausea and vomitting after my hysterectomy and after a subsequent lap 3 years later even with the patch. I just had another lap and trachelectomy on 11/7 and I told everyone who would listen that I get REALLY sick from anesthesia. The anesthesiologist explained to me before surgery that would use exclusively IV drugs instead of gas and give me a "good cocktail of drugs" during surgery. I was pleasantly surprised to wake up with ZERO nausea or vomitting afterwards.

It's worth asking about the IV drugs instead of gas! Good luck
Unread 11-16-2016, 08:28 PM

I had the surgery this morning. It went very smoothly...no nausea, hardly any pain and I'm already home! I'm managing just fine with Ibuprofen. I've heard the 2nd and 3rd days can be harder so I have Percocet just in case. I feel so good right now I have to remind myself to take it easy! The weirdest thing is that I can actually feel that the fibroid is gone! I didn't realize how much it was bothering me until it was out!

Oh, and I also Zofran just in case.
Unread 11-18-2016, 06:08 PM

Hi! I am 11 days postop after my LAVH due to fibroids and an enlarged uterus. i'm sensitive to opiates. I had heard about the patch for nausea. Right before surgery I met with my anesthesiologist and my doctor and they asked me about past experiences. I told him that I wanted to avoid opiates if at all possible because they make me throw up, and I was really afraid of throwing up with fresh abdominal stitches etc. i'm not sure what he put in my IV when I was first wheeled into the OR, but the lights went out. Next thing I know I was waking up in the recovery room about three hours later. I didn't use any opiates at all for my recovery, only Advil.

like you I've been trying hard not to be anemic. Like you I lead an active life, I ride my bike more than 100 miles a week on average. It's natural for you to be worried right now. I want you to know that 11 days after my surgery I'm telling everyone it was a piece of cake! None of my recovery pain so far has been as bad as my periods were. I'd love to give you a big hug right now and tell you that they're going to take great care of you in the hospital, and that they're not gonna let you hurt or barf. Just tell them what's on your mind.

Seriously you can do this!you can do this!
Unread 11-19-2016, 04:34 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 11/16: Pre-op appointment scared me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksjeta4 View Post
I had the surgery this morning. It went very smoothly...no nausea, hardly any pain and I'm already home! I'm managing just fine with Ibuprofen. I've heard the 2nd and 3rd days can be harder so I have Percocet just in case. I feel so good right now I have to remind myself to take it easy! The weirdest thing is that I can actually feel that the fibroid is gone! I didn't realize how much it was bothering me until it was out!

Oh, and I also Zofran just in case.

(((Ksjeta4)))

Thank you for the great update when you came home! We hope you're still doing well!

If you've not already done so, please visit the recovery progress reports thread for your surgery week (in the Post-Op Sub-Forum) and feel free to share daily updates about your recovery.

However, if you have a specific question about your recovery, then please start a new topic thread in the Main Post-Op Support Forum as often the best input will come from those who have already been through the recovery process. “Been there, done that!”

We're sending best wishes for a smooth recovery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register