upstairs bedroom | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

upstairs bedroom upstairs bedroom

Unread 06-15-2002, 04:41 PM
upstairs bedroom

Hi sisters,

I have my bedroom and shower upstairs. Today, my husband and I were talking and decided to put a twin size in the living room so I won't have to climb the stairs when I get home.

Do you think this is a wise move? This way I can get myself water and talk to (monitor) the kids, and it will be easier taking the short walks during the day.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2002, 04:49 PM
upstairs bedroom

Sounds good to me! My bedroom is upstairs also, but I'm planning on camping out in the recliner downstairs for the first few days!
Unread 06-15-2002, 05:53 PM
Stairs

I am 9 days post-op. My Dr. told me to "limit" stairs. On the first day home I walked up the stairs to our house (about 5 feet). I went slow and did not have any problems.

All the rest of the house is on one floor, so moving around was not a problem, however, I know how much time I spent lying down (still am! LOL), so if you intend to do all the lying down in your bedroom, you will have problems being around the kids.

Actually, even though my bedroom is on the same floor, I spent most of my time on the sofa in front of the t.v. So I suggest either a bed downstairs, or a sleeping bag and lots of big pillows for the sofa. That way you are lying down, but still in the center of things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2002, 06:03 PM
4 days post op

Hello...
I am now 4 days post op and my bathroom is upstairs...everything else like my room and kitchen , living room are down stairs...I had TVH and must take the venture upstairs about 5 to 10 times a day (i piddle alot) they really have not been my biggest challenge.the ride home was!!.I have a couch with recliners on each end so thats where I have been planted (we have a waterbed full motion..the ride home was movement enough) Honestly I feel that the stairs will keep me more in shape....My dr didnt frown on the stairs he said do what ever I feel up to with in reason...no cleaning and that sort...Guess it depends on you and the dr....good luck to you........
*hugs*
Hail
Unread 06-15-2002, 09:19 PM
upstairs bedroom

I had a TVH, too, and had no problem with stairs. I don't if it's different for a TAH - it may be. You might ask your doctor about the stairs.
Unread 06-16-2002, 04:56 AM
upstairs bedroom

Hi hotlady,

Good for you planning ahead!

I have an old 2 story home with 15 steep steps to the 2nd floor. I was told that I would be in the castle for 3-5 days since my surgery lasted for so long (I was under for 5 hours). However, 48 hours post-op, I was doing well enough that I was able to come home...could have stayed at least another day but accepted the offer to go home when I did.

I went right to the couch when I came home. The first night it was too painful for me to go upstairs to our bedroom, so I stayed on the couch. I should mention that I also had a supra-pubic catheter which was a little painful. Had lots of pillows and a tray table with everything I could possibly need. Also, had a walkie-talkie and my DH had the other so I could call if I needed.

After that first night, I went to my bed each night and came down in the morning. Did this before my DH went to work in the morning as I was unsteady on the steps. However, for me, I really liked going upstairs for the night. It can be a bit boring being in the same place for recovery and I found that going to my bedroom at night made me feel better. It took me about a week before I was steady enough to venture the staircase on my own, and I continued to limit my trips up and down until around 2 weeks post-op; though even at that point I wasn't exactly ready to run up and down

Best wishes and s
Unread 06-16-2002, 05:38 AM
upstairs bedroom

Every DR has different post op instructions. I went home with NO restrictions on stairs. But the first few times up or down I had my DH on the down side just in case since I was still kind of wobbley from the anesthesia and pain meds. I took it V E R Y S L O W L Y and held on to the bannister. I didn't have any trouble.

My bedroom is upstairs, we have a bathroom on both floors. I slept in my bed, went downstairs in the morning and camped out on the couch, then went back upstairs to bed in the evening.

I tried to use my recliner, but even though there is a handle it still requires some pushing with the legs to get it unreclined. The first time I tried it really hurt my abdomen, so I stayed out of it for a few weeks.

Best wishes!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register