Kinda Skeert! (round 2) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Kinda Skeert! (round 2) Kinda Skeert! (round 2)

Unread 06-17-2002, 06:12 PM
Kinda Skeert! (round 2)

Hi everyone. I originally posted this little missive on the Pre-op board, but I think I maybe should have posted here. Sorry it's so long. Guess I just felt like venting!

I was hoping to postpone my TAH (years of endometriosis) until the end of the year but it's going to be this Wednesday the 19th instead. Everything just went south on me a couple weeks ago. My tummy blew up like a balloon and the pain jumped up several notches. I can't eat anything without being in agony for hours, and I feel like I have to pee all the time but don't have a bladder infection.

Went to see the doc last Tuesday and he ran some stat tests including another CA-125 and ultrasound. DH went in with me the next morning to get the results. The only thing I was told was that my white count was up. The doc wouldn't tell me what the CA-125 result was - just said, "I haven't even looked at that yet." That's a load of ballocks - it was on the same piece of paper that told him my white count was elevated. Am I just being screwy here or is my worry justified?

The doc sent me directly to the hospital for a gastro workup to rule out anything related to the GI system. Well, I've been through these workups on 3 different occasions, so I had a pretty good idea what to expect: CT scan, endoscopy, colonoscopy. Bring on the Fleet's - I know just what to do! Thankfully, I really love my gastro doc. He's one of the rare breed of docs that really cares about his patients and doesn't waste time screwing around for months. (If any of you are in Houston and want to know his name, email me and I'll give you his name. He's just wonderful.) As we expected, nothing showed up.

My gyn wanted to do another laparoscopy to just look around and see what was going on and I had to call a time out. We had already planned to do the TAH, so why the heck would I want to do a lap and then come back and do the TAH? So, I was sent home until we could get everything scheduled. I would much rather wait this out at home than in the hospital. Granted, the demoral was real nice, but at least I don't feel so much like a prisoner at home.

OK - I'm rambling. I guess what I really want to know is this: did anyone ever have my symptoms of bloating, pain, constipation and bladder problems just escalate overnight? If so, what did you end up being diagnosed with? I've already lost the gallbladder and appendix so that's out of the question. I've dealt with endo for years but never experienced anything close to this. I can't seem to get the Big "C" word out of my mind since my father died of gallbladder cancer.

I'm so glad there's at least some light at the end of the tunnel. Can hardly wait for my castle stay! Thanks for listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2002, 06:49 PM
Kinda Skeert! (round 2)

s Jennifer

Surgery is on Wednesday. Will a gyn oncology surgeon be on call if necessary? That is my most important question to you!
Did anything show abnormally on the ultrasound? Was the CAT scan done?
Your doctor may not have had the ca125 results. They are often sent out and in some situations patients wait a few days for those results. The CBC that showed an elevated white count would have been done much more quickly. A ca125 can be elevated with endometriosis, however, so that may not be a good diagnostic test for you.
Your symptoms alone could indicate any number of possibilities.
If your ultrasound and CAT were normal I think you can most likely relax.
I know, easier said than done.
My thoughts and prayers will be with you. Keep in touch.

karenann
Unread 06-18-2002, 05:36 PM
Kinda Skeert! (round 2)

Hi Jennifer,
Sending good thought and prayers for your surgery tomorrow!!
Try to keep positive thoughts!!
Those test results do take a while sometimes to get back. Mine are done on a Friday and usually not back until Wed. or Thursday of the following week. I am sure he has them back by now and would have been in touch if there was anything to be concerned about.
Let us know how you are doing when you are home, rested and up to posting!!
Sending big hugs,
Maria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2002, 12:00 PM
Kinda Skeert! (round 2)

Oh my god, Jennifer, you sound like me! I'm so worried they're going to find cancer in me. I have a large fibroid and some endo and possible adeno, but just in the last few weeks, my belly has bloated up and the pain is constant now. Also feels like I have to pee all the time. I am sooooo scared. I'm hoping this is all just related to the fibroid and endo, but that big "C" word keeps creeping up in my mind. I just want this surgery to be over with so I can find out what the heck is going on inside my body.
Unread 06-19-2002, 05:47 PM
Kinda Skeert! (round 2)

YOUR IN MY PRAYERS AND THOUGHTS AS WELL.

THIS WILL SOON BE OVER , THINK POSITIVE AND HANG IN THERE.
YOU'LL BE HOME BEFORE YA KNOW IT.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register