revenge of swelly belly: I'm ticked off | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

revenge of swelly belly: I'm ticked off revenge of swelly belly: I'm ticked off

Unread 06-18-2002, 04:26 PM
revenge of swelly belly: I'm ticked off

I'm 5 weeks and 1 day post op TAH/LSO. The past 2 days, my swelly belly has been worse than ever, like it was the first week or 2, where I can hardly wear clothes..........look pregnant, and very uncomfortable. I know that the swelly belly continues for sometime, esp as you overdo things.......but I haven't been overdoing it! Yesterday I woke up *hoping* to get out and do stuff, but my crazy bowels kept me home by my toilet. And today my belly is so swollen and uncomfy, I have been trying to lay and rest.......to no avail. I have done nothing I shouldn't have done. As a matter of fact, I've been thinking I have been laying around too much, and should be trying to get my strength up a bit, by doing more a little at a time.....but haven't had a chance to even do so! This weekend my bowels kicked up, and since then-blah! Laying around! So here I am, not overdoing it, laying with my feet up a good portion of the time, and still having a huge belly at 5 weeks! I am ready to scream! Pain is not real bad, I am sore, yes.........taking ibuprofen, haven't taken Vicodin in a few days, almost a week I think, and even then was only taking it at the end of the day on days when I felt esp bad...........Been using heating pads..........and per MD advice, icing incision area after being up and about. Ugh. That's all, just ugh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-18-2002, 04:54 PM

Hi Sphinx:

I just read your post and guess what?! Me, too!!! I have the exact same complaints (symptoms) as you. I'm 5+ weeks post op TAH/BSO and Burch procedure and feeling the same awful things: SWELLY-BELLY, bowels acting weird, etc. I am so uncomfortable most of the time that I walk around the house in just my terry cloth robe or a t-shirt. Pants or shorts are waaaaaaaay too uncomfortable. Everyone must think I'm nuts, but aside from being completely naked (ugh, perish the thought) this is the only thing I'm comfortable wearing. I may also ditch the undies, too. I am also quite frustrated by this, but I keep thinking "this too shall pass." I love my heating pad, too; it's become my closest friend lately (that and the toilet!).

I'm trying to slowly add more fiber and water to my diet, along with some active bacteria cultures found in yogurt. Hopefully, this will help with the diarrhea, etc. I saw my internist the other day and he gave me Levbid to help slow down the bowels a little bit, but not too much, I hope. I certainly don't want to end up with constipation after all this.

I'll be thinking of you as we move through this stage in our recovery. I hope you're feeling better soon.
Unread 06-18-2002, 05:31 PM

Hi Heather!

I also just read your post and quess what! I am doing the same thing however I am 6 weeks post today. If I am up for any length of time at all the swelly comes back with a revenge and I feel this pressure on my pubic bone like my insides are coming out. I know that isn't possible but that is the best way to describe it.

I too think, I should be getting up and around more to get my strenght back. I am suppose to go back to work next Wednesday. My job is mostly sitting, no lifting, but I have to walk a 1/4 of mile from the parking lot to my desk.

I saw the doctor last week and she told me to take it easy over the weekend and this week. I have been laying on the couch with my feet up most of the time. I took a walk last night and was swollen by the time I got back to the house, I had to change shorts. Thank God for drawstring shorts.

So I am sending a your way because I understand what you are feeling.

Hang in there it has got to get better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-18-2002, 05:44 PM

So sorry to hear about your swollen bellies but it does make me feel better to know that I am not having some strange, late effects. I had a TAH on May 13th and was feeling quite good about my belly a couple of weeks ago (at a given moment). Well, each day is a new adventure and I am looking as if I am going backwards today. It does hurt more than I would have expected considering I am 5 weeks post-op and heading back to work on Monday 24th. (Same day I am having my first post-op exam.)
And is anyone else having the bizarre dreams that I seem to be having every night and the depression?
Unread 06-18-2002, 05:54 PM

Hello,
I am about 5 1/2 weeks post-op (TAH/BSO) and due to see my doctor in a couple of days. I've been a little bad, and have tried some light jogging the past couple of days, along with some sit-ups. I'm a very type-A personality and can't help it. I'm really eager to make progress.

I do still have the swelly belly, which to me though seems worse and more painful when I have to sit around in one place for any length of time (like in a restaurant). Walking and jogging doesn't seem to bother me.

But I have had the sensation of something going on in my insides this week, kind of like what others have describred--where I imagine my cervix was. Just some weird twinges, not really painful. I too was afraid that it could collapse in there, maybe from mybeing too active, but my doctor's nurse told me that that would be pretty rare and hard to do at this point!
Unread 06-18-2002, 05:54 PM
The odd one

Hi ladies,

Even though I am only 2 weeks + 2 days, I have the swelly belly, but not to badly. I have been more and more up on my feet and walking around as much as possible. I even went shopping for a whole day over the weekend. Granted hubby drove to the 4 different places we had to go to, I always used the shopping cart for some extra support, and I was not very quick at all, but I made it.

I to have a desk job(assistant to a real estate agent), and I went back to the office part time today. My boss & I have worked it out that I come in the morning, when I have the most to do, and the most energy, and when I feel like I can not do any more, I leave, and work from my recliner at home, answering the phone and doing what I can on the laptop. This was my choice, not his. I need the check, and he needs the help. Nobody in the office is letting me do to much, stretch/reach for anything, or carry anything. I was walking out of the office with my laptop in my briefcase, and one of the other real estate agents in the office took my brief case and walked me out to my car!!

Please tell me I am not going to go back to feeling crummy when I hit about 4-6 weeks. I'm starting to actually feel human again, and just got to OK from the Dr. yesterday to go in our pool. Some simple, easy stretching and some floating on my raft, and I am good to go. For me it is very relaxing. Hope the rest of you are feeling better soon. Let me know if this is something I can expect to happen.

BTW, by the time I left the office, I had a Swely Belly the size of an elephant!! Made it only 4 hrs.

Chris
Unread 06-19-2002, 10:24 AM
hello

I am 6 weeks post TAH/BSO today, my belly is still swollen, too. I look like I'm pregnant, and wear dresses all the time since shorts and jeans are too uncomfortable. I keep thinking to myself, surely I haven't gained THIS much weight. And I haven't. It's all swelling. Was told by Dr that it could take another two weeks or so for it to go down. How depressing. I start back to work today, and start back to school first week of July. Sure hope I am back in my clothes by the time I go back to school. (cosmotology school)

I've had the bizzare dreams...very intense...worst one I had was that my incision came apart and that I was standing there holding it together with blood everywhere (sorry, gross, I know)...was so real to me that when I woke up I was afraid to move thinking it had really happened. Took a few minutes for reality to sink in. I am told by friends that it's part of the menopause thing and that if it doesn't go away that maybe my hormones need to be checked. My bizzare dreams have since subsided. For me, depression comes and goes. When it hits, I make myself get up, shower, get dressed and go somewhere other than my house. Most times that helps.

Barbie
Unread 06-19-2002, 12:55 PM
confirmation that I am normal

I too am 6 weeks. Good to hear others have swelly achy belly. I thought I was doing so well. May be over doing it in Sears this week trying on clothes for vacation. I'm bored with the stay at home things. Dr. says alls well. I am blessed to have an un- eventful recovery and have this web site to complain to. Thanks princesses.
By the way CMCM, I also have the hang over the indented area I guess it would be a miracle if we looked like we were 21 again.
Unread 06-19-2002, 04:03 PM

Count me in. For the first about 2 1/2 weeks, I had almost no swelly belly. I was so proud!!! I bought a skirt just before my two week mark and wouldn't you know it, I tried to put it on last week and its WAY TOO TIGHT!!! I went to K Mart yesterday and bought really cheap streatchy mens shorts. Nothing I would go out in, but they are comfy for the house.

I am having a lot of the twinges that everyone seems to be talking about. Sounds like maybe the time that some of the internal sutures are disolving.

Caren
Unread 06-20-2002, 12:38 AM
Me too!!

I thought, and everyone thought, I was doing so great. Today especially, but for the last few days, the is back worse than it's ever been.

I have my dr appt next Wednesday, and am supposed to go back to work next week. Well, up to this weekend, I thought, "no problem" (although I work on my feet, and it's an hour commute each way, and our car was stolen last week). But today I went to DD's class picnic. Thought I'd be able to walk the mile and a half with them to get there, but woke up and realized I just couldn't. Couldn't get into the festivities, either, the way I usually can. I had brought some string and a book, and taught a bunch of the 1st graders how to make cat's cradle, witch's broom, cup and saucer. At least I could sit.

And my family is finding this recovery thing, where I look normal one day, and the next just can't wake up, unacceptable, to say the least. My DH is a neat freak, and we can't afford our cleaning lady (and now we have to buy a car, so I have to go back to work even sooner, and should be doing more housework).

Just when I feel the least like it. We had the go-ahead for "whoopee" and I gave my DH (cautiously) his "father's day present". I kept thinking that's what did me in.

AND...not many estrogen-deficient symptoms yet, but some PMS ones and it would be the time. I'm a little nervous that they didn't get all the endo...

All right, enough ranting for now...

Sorry.

Audrey (who still has to finish washing dishes, and shouldn't be sitting here posting when I could be going to bed)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register