My sister has cancer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My sister has cancer My sister has cancer

Unread 06-19-2002, 07:47 PM
My sister has cancer

Hi everyone

I had my hysterectomy in April, everything went fine... sailed through. My kid sister, Darlene, was scheduled to have hers in late June, which ended up actually taking place on June 8th on an emergency basis... (lots of fibroids in my family..... 3 of 4 sisters have had hysterectomies).... so they were treating her for that... when they opened her up they found cancer. She's 37, very healthy other than her menstrual crap.... anyway, anyone on this thread knows how difficult the waiting is.... the pathology came back 3 days later.... Uterine cancer (adenocarcenoma) AND Ovarian cancer (papillary cyrus).... We're still waiting.... upon our first visit to Dartmouth/Hitchcock, her oncologist said he thought she was in a Stage II, but would not commit to that until he had further examined the slides from her surgery..... and said he really wouldn't stage her because of the uniqueness of both cancers.... When they operated they removed her uterus, fallopian tubes, and ovaries.... all diseased... and because of bleeding and imminent danger to her life, they closed leaving the cervix, fully diseased. So this Friday we're meeting with the oncologist again to hear the final diagnosis and treatment plan... which we already known will consist of chemo, another surgery, and possibly radiation.

It's been hell, and I'm so afraid for her.... on my way home tonight I was reminded (most probably by a hysterangel) of this website, and how helpful it was for me.... and sure enough... here is the thread I need.

If anyone can offer any insight, or has had either or both cancers, PLS email me... I would very much appreciate that... and prayers.

Thank you ladies,
Donna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2002, 08:16 PM
My sister has cancer

s Donna

I am so sorry to read about your baby sister. I'm glad you remembered hystersisters and I hope when your sister is ready, she stops in to visit as well. The time between now and arriving at a treatment plan is just the worst. Everyone imagines all sorts of horrid things. Your sister is lucky to have you.
I can only respond to the ovarian cancer part of the question. I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer Stage IIIc about one year ago at age 49. I had the radical hysterectomy and six rounds of chemotherapy with carboplatin and taxol. I tolerated the treatment well, am still doing well, and returned to work part time last February. My chemo was given through an infusaport placed under the skin in my upper left chest. I believe it made the treatment easier. As a matter of fact, I still have it. Rarely do I even think about it being there. My oncologist believes it is bad luck to remove them.
Your sister is young and otherwise healthy. Hopefully she will do quite well with whatever treatment she receives.
Please let us know how the appt goes on Friday.
You are both in my thoughts and prayers.

karenann
Unread 06-20-2002, 09:12 AM
My mom has/had cancer too

I know what you are going through with the worries and concerns. My mom had a radical hyster in April and they found cancer in her cervix and uterus and 2 lymph nodes. I don't know what stage it was at either. She has started radiation and chemo. This site has helped me so much! I come here daily to read about others and get some advice.

Hang in there and keep praying it helps! I will say prayers for you and your family.

You are a very good sister. She is lucky to have you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-20-2002, 01:26 PM
My sister has cancer

Hi Donna,
I will keep your sister in my thoughts and prayers.
I had Stage II ovarian and had 4 rounds of chemo and have been in remission since Dec. 2000. Cancer is scary, and as you can atest to , its scary not only for the patient but the entire family.
You're a good sister to be trying to find info for her, and I wish her the very best! Please keep us posted on how she is doing.
Sending hugs to you both,
Maria
Unread 06-20-2002, 03:48 PM
My sister has cancer

hI DONNA, my name is Rosalie and i too have ovarian cancer. I knew that something funny was happening in my stomach and a cat scan found huge well marginated mass on my right ovary. on april 18th i had a complete hysterectomy and yes, it did turn out to be cancerous. I have a wonderful oncologist and she said that ovarian cancer is like having a chronic disease, like arthritis. there is no actual cure but there are lots of ways to treat it. I was diagnosed at stage 3 but both my surgeon and oncologist do not feel that stages affect anything. Yes, i am taking chemo, and next week will be my third out of 6 sessions. I am on taxol and carboplatin. And by the way, i am doing wonderfully. Right after surgery my ca125 number was 454 ( that is a cancer marker number.) after my first treatment the number went down to 42 and 35 is the normal number. Please let me know how everthing turns out.. It is scary but we need to be strong!!
Unread 06-20-2002, 06:18 PM
My sister has cancer

DEAR DONNA,
ALL I CAN SAY IS I WILL SURELY KEEP YOU AND YOUR SISTER IN MY PRAYERS AND THOUGHTS.
THIS IS A REALLY SCARY FOR YOU AND YOUR SISTER I KNOW ,BUT GOD WILL SEE HER THROUGH THIS AND SHE WILL BE O.K.
Unread 06-21-2002, 09:20 PM
My sister has cancer

The waiting is the worst part. Really, it is. I have ovarian cancer like some of these other cancer warriors that you have heard from. I am having chemo #5 (out of 6 treatments) and am doing fine. I found that chemo is much more tolerable than I thought it would be. Not at all like portrayed on tv or like it used to be. I don't know much about uterine cancer but I know cancer of any kind or stage is very frightening. I think your sister is very lucky to have such a concerned and caring sister such as you. Keep us posted.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register