enlarged uterus question......... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

enlarged uterus question......... enlarged uterus question.........

Unread 06-19-2002, 08:43 PM
enlarged uterus question.........

At my pre-op appointment a few weeks ago, my doctor mentioned that I have an enlarged uterus. I was surprised when he said it and he said it in a way that he assumed I knew that already. Because I was taken off gaurd....not prepared at all for him to tell me that, I swear he never mentioned it before and I have been going to him for 3 years now....I didn't ask him anything about it.....like how big IS my uterus if it's enlarged, why is it enlarged????

What are the reasons for an enlarged uterus besides fibroids? I know I should have asked him, but I was stunned when he mentioned it because he never mentioned it before....atleast not that I can remember and I've always prided myself on my good memory

I guess I will find out everything next week at my surgery. I plan on getting my surgery report so I know EVERYTHING that he found in me....just in case there's something he forgets to tell me. I'm just curious about this. Any ideas???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2002, 08:54 PM
enlarged uterus

Dont feel bad, I didn't hear about my large uterus until they took it out. I assume the reason, according to the questions asked by my Dr. is big babies and how many pregnancies. I had 3 pregnancies and 9 1/2 lb babies. Hope this helps some good luck LIW you will love what happens...

Jenyrae
Unread 06-19-2002, 09:07 PM

An enlarged uterus is very common if you have fibroids. Those fibroids need room.

A normal uterus is typically the size and shape of an upside-down pear and weighs somewhere around 6 ounces. Its dimensional size is about 8 to 10 centimeters by 6 centimeters.

Many times the doctors will compare the uterus to weeks in pregnancy. My uterus is the size as of a 16 weeks pregnancy. Some days I feel like I am ready to "deliver" it.

How did the doctor determine your uterus is enlarged? ultrasound?

I would want to know how enlarged the uterus is before surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2002, 09:12 PM
Hi Pasdachat,

My enlarged uterus was caused by fibroids.

The funny thing is, I knew my uterus was enlarged, but my doctor didn't think it was that big. I could feel it at the level with my navel (20-weeks size) but my doctor thought it was much smaller. So when I had my surgery, he had to make my incision larger to get it out, and then had a problem getting it out. Guess I pulled one over on him!

Your day is almost here, isn't it. The wait is almost over. Just hang tight. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

s,

Lisa
Unread 06-19-2002, 09:16 PM
Enlarged Uterus

My Uterus was enlarged to that of a 12 weeks pregnancy....why? Adenomyosis was the culprit.
Adeno is very similar to endo only that it stays internal and grows into the muscular walls of the Uterus.
The result I my case was an enlarged Uterus, extremely heavy bleeding and excruitating pain.
The bad part about Adeno is that as a rule, it is discovered after the surgery in the Path exam of the tissues.
I would suggest going to the search button at the top of the page and do a search for Enlarged Uterus....
Hope that helps!
s and s
Janet
Unread 06-19-2002, 11:15 PM
Enlarged

My primary doctor told me a few years ago that normally as a woman ages, the uterus gets larger. Then after menopause, it shrinks back IF there are no problems and you do not have it removed.
Unread 06-20-2002, 12:22 AM
hey girl

Hey, mine is enlarged to 11 weeks size (it was a month ago anyway so who knows now, LOL). My doctor says he highly suspects Adenomyosis.
Check out this site if you want to know what Adenomyoisis is,.. you can alsways ask your doc sometime before your surgery next Tuesday too.
http://www.wdxcyber.com/dxppn011.htm
Well, it's after midnight and officially my castle day,.. I check in in 7 hours and 15 minutes so I better get my booty to bed for a few hours. So far, no jitters, we'll see how I am on the drive there though,.. have orders for drugs ASAP when I get there, LOL!
Love ya, girl, and I'll talk to you soon,.. see you on the other side!
Unread 06-20-2002, 09:33 AM

Hiya Pasdechat!

My hyst was done because my uterus was 'grossly enlarged' due to fibroids. I can't remember your presenting problem and the main reason for your hyst. (Brain fog - this is an unexpected post-op bonus - you get to blame alot of stuff on the effects of anaesthesia.) But clearly, even more is going on in there than you knew.

I so understand the deer in headlights thing at the time he told you, but if the curiosity turns into concern, I say call and ask to speak to him for clarification.

Countin' down now, huh, Soon-to-be Princess Pasdechat? You can do it!

Cecee
Unread 06-20-2002, 10:39 AM
Mine is enlarged too

I had very large babies, 8lb. 15oz.; and 9lb. 7oz. and I'm a petite woman! Anyway, my uterus is that of at least a 12 week pregnancy and has been for over two years. I can't see where having large babies over 12 years prior would make it suddenly enlarge and he even said that it probably wasn't the reason.

My doctor suspects adeno as the culprit as I only have one tiny fibroid. Going in to see him on July 2nd to hear the results of my latest ultrasound and discuss my options which seem to be leaning towards hysterectomy.

It isn't anything to be worried about as far as I know, it just results in much heavier; painful periods.

Hope you feel better soon, and take care!
Unread 06-20-2002, 11:02 AM

I know what you mean about large babies, 9lb 10 oz, 11 lb 9 oz and 11 lb 13 oz. The last one was a C-Sec. I, also, don't find the reasoning behind large babies/large uterus.

Anyway, they didn't tell me that my uterus was enlarged until after they took it out also. The condition that I had was Endometrial Hyperplasia. I wasn't told how enlarged it was though, I think I'll ask at my checkup on the 27th.

Good Luck with your surgery next Tuesday and All the BEST for a speedy recovery.

s and

Rette

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register