Financial Matters | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Financial Matters Financial Matters

Unread 06-20-2002, 10:15 AM
Financial Matters

Hi, I'm new to this board. I have been reading a lot of posts here and i don't understand half of the terms and abbreviations used here. I have made the desicion to get a hysterectomy. I have had my period since I was eleven, with heavy bleeding and tremendiuos pain. My mom would tell me it will get better in a view years. When I was 18 I had my left ovary removed because od fibroids. My gyn would tell be I would have less problems after I had children. I'm now 28 and have 2 wonderful kids, but my problems are getting worse. My question is not so much about the procedure, but more about the finacial side of it.We are on a tide budget and really can't afford to be out of work for 6 weeks. I don't know much about about short-term disability and such things (I'm originally from Germany and live here in the US since 5 years).
Any ideas on how to go about this? is there any financial help available?
Thank you for your help!
Mon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-20-2002, 12:53 PM
Financial Matters

Hi FlynnGirl,

Welcome to Hystersisters!! I'm glad that you found us and that you decided to introduce yourself.

There are drop-down menus on the main page of the site that have lots of information for pre-op and post-op ladies and also actual hysterectomy stories from ladies who have already had theirs. Click onto the Princess at the upper left of this page and then scroll down toward the bottom of that page.

Here's a link to the abbreviations that we use - they can be confusing, I know:

https://www.hystersisters.com/procedure.php

As far as the financial aspects go - you should talk to your company's human resources department to find out what kind of coverage you have. Where I work, we do not have short-term disability, but we do have long-term that kicks in at 45 days, but I was back to work before then. Where I work, we are also permitted to donate time to employees who are on sick leave, if they do not have enough hours themselves.

Most hospitals also have a social services department and may be able to give you some information about the kinds of services available in your area.

Please let us know what you find out.

's

Karen
Unread 06-20-2002, 05:29 PM
Financial Matters

Hi Karen

Thank you for your respond. I checked out the link with the abbreviations and it makes a lot more sence now.
My problem is that my office is rather small. I'm working for an architect as the only drafter there, there is also a administative help and another architect. Not much in Human Resource or such departments. I will however talk to my boss tomorrow and see what he can do for me. he has been rather generous in the past, so I hope he will help me out now. besides, he will benefit when I don't have to be out of the office for 3 or more days each month because of the pain.
After reading a lot of the posts I feel like my case isn't quiet as bad and maybe I don't even need the procedure. It's not like a life threatning or dangerous thing. Here I go again, every once in a while I feel this doubt coming on, mostly when I'm not on my period and having a good time. I know I want to get it done. I'm more afraid of the after effects. I wasn't really aware of the fact that recovery will take a while and I won't be able to do very much. And that with 2 kids (My son will be 5 and my daughter just turned 6). I better read some more success stories now to keep me going

there are so many messages......and not enough time.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-20-2002, 10:32 PM
Financial matters

I'm not really sure about your question but I'll try to answer it.

First of all, as far as I know, there is no short-term disability program through the government. There is SSI and things like that but having surgery would not make you eligible.

Lots of employers have short term disability programs for their employees. You should ask your company's personnel department about this. (It will probably be the same person who handles employee insurance, etc). I had short-term disability insurance through my old employer and it covered things like surgeries, giving birth... anything like that.... so ask your personnel department to give you information on their short-term disability insurance program (if they have one).

Goodluck and *hugs*
Unread 06-21-2002, 02:42 AM
Financial Matters

I understand your feelings of doubt. I had the same (with 3 young children, one of which was barely a year old and still nursing- and STILL is a year later btw. ) doubts back and forth before the procedure.

The best I can tell you is to think about it long and hard and consider your options. Think about your reasons for having a hyst and also I would suggest asking your dr about other options if the hyst is ONLY for heavy bleeding and period pain/cramping. My dr suggested some procedure (I can't remember the name -something about abliation but I think that's wrong. *sigh* Sorry) where they put LIKE a water balloon in the uterus with water they warm up and somehow that later helps the bleeding/pain. I'm totally butchering this so I hope someone comes to explain this correctly. LOL But that wasn't going to do ANYTHING for another problem I had which was uterine prolapse so the hyst was the only way to solve all the problems I had including prolapse.

If you do decide that a hyst is the way to go- then just prepare yourself as much as possible. Try to make sure you have as much help with the kids and household after the surgery so you can rest during recovery so you can recover as quickly as possible without causing more problems by overdoing it after the surgery. You will need time off from work -there is no way you can just go right back to work before your ready so that is something you need to consider before having the surgery. Please do not schedule the surgery if you feel you will NOT be able to take the time off that is needed after the surgery. Talk to your employer/etc and find out what your options are. It would not be a good idea to have the hyst without knowing that you can financially take the time off needed to recover fully after the surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register