Fat all over - how can the incision heal? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fat all over - how can the incision heal? Fat all over - how can the incision heal?

Unread 06-21-2002, 08:55 PM
Fat all over - how can the incision heal?

I just had my hysterectomy on Tuesday and my incision is killing me. It feels like someone is standing in front of me with a blow torch aimed at my belly!

I'm fat and the incision is right in the fold under my big old belly. How the heck is this thing supposed to heal if no air can get to it? I guess the doctor thought I was kidding when I asked him 'cause he just laughed. But seriously, will it heal? Are there any other "large" ladies out there who had the same concern?

Any suggestions on how to make it stop hurting besides staying stoned on the pain medication all the time?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Lori

06/18/02 - TAH BSO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2002, 09:09 PM
I have one of those big ole bellies too....

I used gauze 4" x 4" topper pads made by Johnson & Johnson. Roll it over a time or two and just lay it across the incision. You will have to change it a couple of times a day. It really helps to keep the belly from rubbing the scar and sticking to it. For added cushion if it was really sore, I used a soft washcloth folded over. It stays under the belly without tape (at least mine did).

I had the bikini cut the first time and believe me, it is MUCH better than the vertical incision. I hope these tips help! Take care.

Hugs,

Kathy
Unread 06-21-2002, 09:19 PM
Lady of Leisure

Kathy, you have to take into account that you have just had major surgery. I am just 6 weeks post TAH and took the advice offered here and just rested. I found that for the first 2 weeks, apart from getting up to go to the toilet and shower, I was virtually flat on my back the rest of the time.

I am not grossly overweight, but I am overweight and I also have a "flap". Lying down helped the flap level out in other directions other than over the incision. Even now, if I want to lay on either side, I have a pillow beside me to "rest" my belly on, otherwise it is very uncormfortable, bordering on painful ... it's that comfortable, it will be hard to give the pillow up ha ha ...

Throughout the initial healing process, I found sitting to be the hardest, as the incision is right where we "fold" when we sit. Upon standing up, it felt as if everything had adhered and had to be released again.

So, take it easy and spend as much time as you can on your back for the first couple of weeks. At one point, I couldn't stand the touch of the sheets even, so my DH got a plain old cardboard box and made a frame out of it, which was then put "astride" me, with the sheets over it, letting the air circulate and keeping the sheets off of the tender skin.

Good luck and REST. I thought I was being a whimp, but now at 6 weeks, am glad that I rested, as I am about 95% right again.

love and hugs,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2002, 09:56 PM

Lori:
I am also "fat". I am six months post op this week. My incision is vertical. Everytime I stood up I felt like my guts were going to spill out of my incision. I know our concerns are different because your "hangover" belly is interfering. My biggest problem was the pressure put on my incision every time I sat down. And just the pressure that gravity put on my belly when I stood up was painful, too. What did help me was wearing a panty gridle. I had one in my drawer that I never used. It held me in just enough to take the pressure off. I also walked around holding my belly. My sister asked me if that was a habbit. I told her that it actually helped with the pain. All in all, lying down was the most comfortable. I am sure you will get plenty of feedback from other big gals who had the horizontal incision.

By the way, I am sorry your Doc did not feel the need to address your concern in a professional and helpful manner.

Barbie
Unread 06-22-2002, 02:32 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll see if I can get my hubby to go by the store and buy some gauze pads today before he has to leave for work.

Thanks again. If ya'll can think of anything else, just give me a holler.

Lori
Unread 06-22-2002, 03:47 AM

Hi Lori,

I too have, errr...a few extra pounds that I'm carrying around too. My incision was the bikini cut and with the added swelly-belly from the surgery, my tummy kind of hung over too.

My Dr. told me that it was important to keep the area clean and dry, and even suggested using a hair dryer, on the lowest setting and at a safe distance, to be sure the area was dry after my showers. I didn't use any gauze or dressings for fear that if there was any dampness, the gauze would keep the moisture there and the air wouldn't be able to get through.

Best wishes and s
Unread 06-22-2002, 04:28 AM

I was concerned about this as well!
Here's what I did.....I rolled a bandana into a long rolled tube and layed it over my incision (bikini), let my "flap" lay over it and left the ends hanging out.
This allowed the excess moisture to basically be wicked away and it stayed dry.
My incision has healed so nicely that the only way you can tell it's there is by the faint pink marks left by the staples, and this is at 7 weeks post!
In between I kept it clean using baby wipes and a clean washcloth to dry it periodically between showering.
Hope that helps you out some!
s and s
Janet
Unread 06-22-2002, 04:36 AM
I too have burning

I found that after showering make sure it is dry then take neosporin with pain relief and gauze this helps change it frquently so it is clean. apply neosporin as needed my incision looks good and helps with discomfort. I too am over weight with the overhang but sister who had this in 1999, told me her secret to making it feel better. hope this hint will help.

Unread 06-22-2002, 05:49 AM
I'm a big sister too

I'm a big sister too and I also had the same concerns. Mine was irritating so I went to the local pharmacy and an employee overheard me and he said "Best thing I can tell you is be nude as much as possible". I thought he was crazy but any opportunity I had I took them off and laid down flat so that my "overhang" flattened out and sure enough it worked. Also during the day when I did have to wear clothing I always made sure to put neosporin on it even though that was against doctors orders. DR's can't even find the incision mark it healed so well.

Some of the advice that the other sisters gave was very practical and I really wish I had posted something like yours back in Feb. or March when my incision was really being a big pain. Good luck!!!!
Unread 06-22-2002, 07:59 AM

Hi,
I am not overweight, but do agree with those here who said that sitting was most uncomfortable position (it still is for me at 5 1/2 weeks post-op) and probably also puts the most pressure on your healing areas and doesn't allow the air to reach it as easily.

I think the incision heals fastest when exposed to air, as long as you can keep it clean and dry. When I was in the hospital, I woke up to find some kind of a bandage over my incision, but my surgeon promptly removed it when he came by and said it wasn't necessary and that exposure to air would help heal me faster ( I just had the steri strips).

I also think that lying down would help or standing and walking.

And I still have the sensitivity to certain fabrics touching my incision area. I think that's because the nerves aren't quite healed yet?

I hope you feel better soon!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register