One Year Later | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

One Year Later One Year Later

Unread 06-22-2002, 05:59 AM
One Year Later

s Ladies

Today it has been a year since my infusaport was inserted and I had my first chemo. It's funny how we are so aware of those first anniversaries. My infusaport still resides in my left upper chest. I am almost completely unaware of it's existence. My doc thinks it is bad luck to remove them. So I'll keep it forever, if it helps. Every three months my ca 125 is drawn from it, then it is flushed. I have no residual side effects from the chemo. Just a little chubbier and some achey joints. It takes my body a little longer to get moving after sitting or lying down. But some of that could be due to menopause and turning 50 in January and the love of food! The emotional side effects are now integrated into who I am. In this past year I feel like I have learned sooo much about ovarian cancer. Sometimes I wish with all my heart that I had a public forum. If I did, my advice would be: anyone with a suspicion of gyn and particularly ovarian cancer, Please, Please, Please, consult with a gyn oncology surgeon. Your local gyn is truly not the doc for the job!!!!To all of you in the midst of gyn cancer treatment, I just want to say: Life does go on, and is good again. I'll never say cancer was a gift to me, like some people do. But it is kinda cool to know how much your family and friends love you!! Including the dear friends I've made on cancer concerns. Who have both inspired and encouraged me all the way.

karenann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-22-2002, 07:09 AM
One Year Later

Such beautiful thoughts...Karen.....thanks for sharing them with us!!!!!
Valentina
P.S. I agree with the cancer not being a gift.....I don't get that eithier. I believe I need to learn or do something with it, but I am certainly not seeing the gift part of it.
Unread 06-22-2002, 08:11 AM
One Year Later

((((Karen)))))
Boy this year surely has flown by! I know when we were in the midst of treatment the time certainly did anything but fly by, but its amazing that it has been a year for you already.

Your attitude and determination throughout your treatments was so wonderful! You always saw the cup a "half full" not "half empty".

Its so great that you don't have many left over effects of your treatments too.

This is a beautiful post, and will benefit all of us here, as well as the ladies who unfortuately will have need in the future for this forum. I think there are many women who are not dealing with cancer, who do drop in from time to time to read the posts here, and your words here may make a great difference in the professionals they seek out. Your own pro-active approach is to be commended dear friend! I am so glad you are healthy, and life is treating you good, and I am so excited about having the opportunity to meet you in person just 2 weeks from today when you pop into our wonderful province !

Love ya,
M. xoxoxo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-22-2002, 03:22 PM
{{{Karenann}}}

WOO HOOO !!!!!

I'm so happy for you!!! One whole year!!!!

Karen you have been a tremendous help to me during my struggle with leukemia! You encouraged and motivated me when I really needed it! You will always be very special to me and have a special place in my heart! What a wonderful milestone this is!

These anniversaries are the best.
You have so much knowledge about ovarian cancer, and I promise, I will do everything I can to see that you get your public forum! I'm irritating some people right now and we'll see where this road leads....LOL they'll get tired of me eventually and tell me what I need to know.

You're the best Karen! I love ya and thank God that our paths crossed! I'm a better person for having met you, even if it is online!
Love and Hugs,
Unread 06-22-2002, 06:29 PM
One Year Later

Karenann,

Your post is truly an inspiration. I actually carry business cards for my gyn onc (and 2 others I consulted with - yes - I am neurotic) - anyone with suspicions of gyn cancer, but especially ovarian cancer, really, really does need to have their surgery done by a gyn onc.

Blessings to you

Dorrie
Unread 06-22-2002, 07:06 PM
One Year Later

{{{Karen}}}

We're blessed that you're here and blessed that you share your journey with others who are traveling the same road.

Each milestone is a victory for us all.
Unread 06-23-2002, 06:33 AM
Congratulations on your Anniversary

Words of wisdom from you indeed. I'm busy advocating for awareness (I did not have a gyn/onc--never heard of them) and hoping you have many more happy and cancer free anniversaries.
Unread 06-23-2002, 11:17 AM
One Year Later

KARENANN,
WHAT GREAT THOUGHTS, AND WOW!!! A WHOLE YEAR, IT REALLY FLIES BY.
JUST KNOWING YOUR WELL AGAIN MAKES US ALL HAPPY!!

GREAT HEALTH IS TRULY WEALTH!!!!
NOW , EVEN WITH YOUR LITTLE SET BACKS YA KNOW YOUR O.K. AND THAT IS WHAT REALLY MATTERS.
Unread 06-24-2002, 08:03 AM
One Year Later

Karenann,

I read about your reflection from the past year you have had and almost started crying! How nice that you can share those thoughts with all of us. I'm still relatively new here on this list and have learned so much about strength and character from so many here...you included. Thank you for sharing your beautiful thoughts.

Congratulations on your one year anniversary and a big for you!
Unread 06-25-2002, 07:34 AM
One Year Later

{{Karen}}

All I can say is AMEN!!! Your thoughts say it so thoroughly!!!

You go girl and keep on keeping on! There certainly IS life after cancer!!!

Thanks so much for sharing!

{{hugs}}

Vicki

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register