Update on my Sisters Cancer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Update on my Sisters Cancer Update on my Sisters Cancer

Unread 06-22-2002, 06:25 PM
Update on my Sisters Cancer

Hi Everyone, and THANK YOU so much for your responses and encouraging words (and prayers) to my first post. It helped both me AND my sister, Darlene

We met with her oncologist yesterday. Though they still are not sure where the cancer started, she is starting chemotherapy on Tuesday. She was diagnosed with Adenocarcenoma of the uterus, and Papillary Serous, which is where they are not sure if its ovaries, vagina, or rare, but the cervix.... they are performing more testing on the slides and took another biopsy from the top of the vagina yesterday.

She is going to have 3 bouts of chemo, every 21 days, then another catscan to determine if its working.... Her CA125 count b4 surgery was 488, it is currently 419.... and as they were unable to remove the cervix, fully diseased, they will probably be operating again.

We learned that they believe there may be 2 lymphnodes involved, and her doctor is not concerned with the Adenocarcenoma (endometrial) because he feels it was "incidental" and was removed totally...and confined to the uterus, which was better news than we originally were told.

The other good news was that her tumor has not attached to anything.... any of her organs... and is away from her bladder and bowel.... which her doctor was VERY pleased with, as well as the fact that there were no cancer cells found in any abdominal washings.... We'll take it!

The human spirit amazes me.... how devastated when you hear the "c" word.... and how enduring it can be throughout everything.... also how we rise to the occasion of ANY good news. Does that make sense?

In the past 3 years my immediate family has really taken a hit with cancer. First, my older sister, breast cancer, lumpectomy/radiation... 2years clean now... Then my father... prostate/total prosectomy .... 1 year clean now.... and then my mother... Stage III Colon.... 6 mos chemo.... 6 mos clean.... and now my kid sister. It's been HORRIBLE.

I want to thank you, with all of my heart, for this website, and all the love and support for each other.... I've been reading the listings and stories, and have become endeared to every one of you.... have added you guys to my prayer list.....(it's becoming so long I had to give up something.... so I decided to give up cleaning! lol)

With lots of love & thanks
Donna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-22-2002, 06:32 PM

Donna,

You and your family have been through so much. Your sister is lucky to have you as a support. My mom and I were dxed with ov ca 8 months apart - so I do understand family cancer.

to you and your sister

Dorrie
Unread 06-22-2002, 07:45 PM

s Donna

If a positive attitude helps win this battle, you two are on your way!!!!
I'm sorry to read all that your family has been through. Life's burdens have dealt your family a heavy blow. But you all sound like a strong bunch of people. Please stop back and let us know how Darlene makes out on Tuesday. We are always ready to share our dealing with chemo tips!!!!
From hair loss to constipation!
Your family is in my thoughts and prayers.
And an extra for Darlene.

karenann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-23-2002, 06:30 AM
Prayers for You and Darlene

and "hug" to you both. That's a lot for your family to deal with. I'm hoping this chemo works well for your sister and cleans the cancer out once and for all!
Unread 06-23-2002, 08:27 AM

Hi Donna,
So glad to hear you and Darlene met with the oncoligist. Good that they are getting right at the chemo as well.

Hopefully she will only require the 3 rounds to get any remaining bad cells that may be there.

I am so sorry for all the cancer in your family over a short period of time. Glad to hear all are cancer free and doing well now.

Hugs and prayers to you and Darlene too!!
Maria
Unread 06-23-2002, 11:11 AM

HI DONNA,
CANCER IS CERTAINLY A DEVASTATING WORD, TO SAY THE
LEAST!!!
I AM GLAD YOUR FAMILY IS DOING WELL NOW. I AM SURE THE DOCTOR TAKING CARE OF YOUR SISTER WILL INDEED KNOCK
THOSE BAD CELLS RIGHT OUT OF HER WITH THE CHEMO.
I WISH YOU AND YOUR FAMILY GOOD LUCK AND MOST OF ALL GOOD HEALTH.
GOOD THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS COMING YOUR WAY.
Unread 06-23-2002, 08:19 PM
question

I have a question for you but if you don't want to answer I will understand.
A family I knew in my state lived close to where they were burning toxic chemicals to clean up. OF the 4 people, 3 of them developed some kind of cancer.
Has your family been exposed to anything like this??
thanks and I wish you the best!!
Unread 06-24-2002, 07:38 AM

What a great sister to support your sister (and it sounds like many other members of your family too). I'm glad the doctors are giving you all good news with specifics of what they have found with testing.

A for your sister and a BIG for you for being such a strong support for her and for so many others in your family.
Unread 06-24-2002, 08:02 PM
Answer to Question

Hi!
Thank you all for your replies and prayers and thoughts. It's very much appreciated... and I certainly don't mind answering any questions....

The answer to your question re: whether we lived near any chemical burning, etc... we lived 25 miles from a nuclear power plant... in which I now live 1 mile from, and have for the past 15 years... but other than that.... No!

I've often thought about this question... and the fact that given four houses in a row on the street we lived on..... 3 households had cancer....

I often wonder about the water supply. They were all drilled wells.... I wish I knew.

Thanks for your inquiry.

Donna
PS Chemo starts in the am.... I put together a "treatment tote" of goodies for my sister... including a Bernie Siegel book.
Unread 06-25-2002, 07:40 AM

{{Donna}}

Sending many prayers and good thoughts for your sisters treatment today. I hope it will swiftly do its job and without too many side effects for your sister.

Keep us posted on how she's doing and let her know you both are in our prayers.

{{hugs}}

Vicki

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register