Scheduled TAH Help Zoladex not effective. Consultant is doubting surgery. Updated - hysterectomy going ahead on 1/28 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help Zoladex not effective. Consultant is doubting surgery. Updated - hysterectomy going ahead on 1/28 Help Zoladex not effective. Consultant is doubting surgery. Updated - hysterectomy going ahead on 1/28

Unread 12-12-2016, 02:49 PM
Help Zoladex not effective. Consultant is doubting surgery. Updated - hysterectomy going ahead on 1/28

I am diagnosed with PMDD. Have had for a few years but this year it has stopped my life as a wife mother and functioning human being. I had my first Zoladex implant 7 weeks ago and the change was amazing. The brain fog lifted my energy came back and I got my sparkle back. This second implant feels different and doesn't feel like it's worked. My pain is horrendous and I am back in a very dark place.
Spoke with my consultant and wonders if Zoladex isn't working maybe surgery isn't the answer. I can't cope without the surgery.
Has anyone had a dud implant? My next is due in a week.

Any advice appreciated. I feel so distraught to have taken such a massive step backwards.

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2016, 08:25 PM
Re: Help Zoladex not effective. Consultant is doubting surgery.

Hi Freddie13 -

I am sorry you are going through all of this.

I do not have any experience with the medication you are taking. But, we have lots of ladies on this site. Hopefully one with experience will see this post and respond.

Unread 12-12-2016, 08:52 PM
Help Zoladex not effective. Consultant is doubting surgery. Updated - hysterectomy going ahead on 1/28

Thanks I look forward to hearing their experiences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-13-2016, 07:09 AM

Hi Freddie13, we are glad you've joined us here! I have not experienced PMDD, so I'm not able to share in regards to that. I am getting monthly Zoladex implants as part of my breast cancer treatment. I've received 2 so far, my next is due at the end of December. It is possible your body is still adjusting to the hormone change. I don't feel the same this month as I did last month. My hot flashes are worse and make me feel sick when the first month was rather easy.

I understand your doctor's concern. Shutting off your hormones is a "trial run" to see if a hysterectomy/oophorectomy would be effective in relieving your symptoms. If you're experiencing PMDD while on the medications (chemical menopause), then surgical menopause may not be the answer. Hysterectomy is major surgery with the risk of complications so your doctor wants to make sure it's the correct path for you.

I encourage you to keep discussing options with your doctor. He may suggest trying the Zoladex for another month or two to see if the results you had the first month return. Or perhaps trying a different medication such as Lupron to see if it works better for you.

I am sorry you're suffering. I hope your next injection gives you relief!

Unread 12-14-2016, 05:37 PM

OP, I know it sucks waiting to find out if something works and trying so many different treatments...and then still feel like you haven't got it figured out. This may seem totally off the wall,
But have you tried ablation? I realize it doesn't affect your ovaries, and I know it technically should not affect your hormones. However, anecdotally, many women report an improvement in their PMS symptoms. Some doctors theorize that the uterine lining contains hormones, and when you destroy the lining, you affect the hormones, possibly for the better. This theory is not at all accepted by the medical community at large.

I have some friends who swear it did improve their PMS, though. Maybe it would be worth trying before a hysterectomy, if completely shutting down the hormones proves to not be beneficial?
Unread 12-14-2016, 08:12 PM

Hi Freddie13 -

You have a complex situation. Definitely speak to your doctor about about what options are best for you, given your condition.

Unread 12-14-2016, 10:01 PM

I am really amazed at the replies. PMDD has been disabling and the mental impact is awful. It can be very lonely and frustrating. I am grateful for the responses it has helped to ground me a little and given me more options to discuss e.g. Ablation. My new consultant is amazing and is always happy to discuss things so I will take these forward.
Ladies you have been amazing.
Thanks
Unread 12-15-2016, 06:50 AM

You're welcome! I'll add that maybe it's possible the zoladex doesn't seem to be working because it's as if you're going through thr process of menopause and have not reached the other side of it. I imagine even with taking the ovaries, you'd have a rough transition period before feeling better. Even natural menopause leads many women to start taking antidepressants. It's not until they are completely through it that they feel much better. I know several women who suffered during their reproductive years and once they got through menopause, they felt SO MUCH better. It's just really hard to get to that point. But it should be quicker with chemical or surgical menopause, I imagine. Good luck with your decision!
Unread 01-22-2017, 01:49 AM

Just a quick update. I had another Zoladex shot and it worked like a dream. Strangely my partner can't see a puncture wound for the ineffective shot. So my consultant is happy to go ahead with the surgery.
Unread 01-22-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie13 View Post
Just a quick update. I had another Zoladex shot and it worked like a dream. Strangely my partner can't see a puncture wound for the ineffective shot. So my consultant is happy to go ahead with the surgery.
Wow! You're having surgery one day after me. Good luck! I'm really nervous about recovery!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register