Newly diagnosed . . . lots of questions and fears - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Newly diagnosed . . . lots of questions and fears Newly diagnosed . . . lots of questions and fears

Unread 08-10-2002, 03:13 PM
Newly diagnosed . . . lots of questions and fears

Hi Leigh and Susan,
Thank you very much for sharing your ideas and experiences. Every piece of the puzzle helps!

Best wishes,
Judy

P.S. Does anyone know if soy products are good for you or not? Something I read said they have an estrogenic effect which can actually promote cancer. Other things say they prevent it.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-10-2002, 03:45 PM
Soy

Judy -

I also heard somewhere that soy products are good for fighting cancer, and so have been trying to eat more soy. I read somewhere that it is best to avoid dairy products, too, so I've stopped buying milk and have been trying to like that stuff called "Silk," which is soy milk. It's actually not bad on cereal, although I'm still not used to it enough to drink it like milk.

Anyway, when I read your question, I went back and looked through the MANY books I've bought on fighting and preventing cancer. Surprisingly, I found nothing about soy in many of the books. Then, in the book Prescription for Nutritional Healing, I found two references to soy.

The first says, "Research has shown that soybeans and soy products, such as tofu, tempeh, soy flour, and soymilk, have cancer-fighting prowers due to the presence of a protein called genistein. Genistein apparently retards tumor growth by preventing the growth of new blood vessels to feed the tumor. It appears to be particularly effective against prostate cancer, but also works against breast cancer in women and colon cancer in both sexes."

The second reference says, "Soy is rich in phytoestrogens, which may, to some extent, substitute for your body's own estrogen if it is manufacturing too little."

So, you may want to check with your doctor to see what he/she says about taking something that will increase your body's own estrogen.

You might also be interested in checking out this place called The Kushi Institute (http://www.kushiinstitute.org/) which teaches people how to cook macrobiotically. It's in Western Massachusetts. It's very expensive ($1600 for one week) but it looks like it may be worth it. I had signed up for a week there until I was undiagnosed. The guy who started it wrote the book The Cancer Prevention Diet.

Best wishes -

Leigh
Unread 08-11-2002, 12:55 AM

Leigh,
Hmm. Very Interesting! So soy can cause estrogen. My particular cancer is most likely from too much estrogen so I need to cut back on the soy. Wonder what Kushi Institute says about that. I have his book and am using a lot of his ideas about cooking and eating. It is really making a difference. I might go to his school.

Thank you so much for your ideas. You are so smart. I am glad you are alright. You won the lottery. Enjoy it. Celebrate this in a big way with your family. This is so rare.

Best wishes and if you want to email, please feel free:
[email protected].

Judy

P.S. I spoke with an Asian man at a party who seemed knowledgeable on diet. He said it turns out the beneficial effects we are attributing to soy...he read research recently saying it is not true because Asians only eat aged soy products. they don't eat "raw" soy products like soy milk and the raw beans. I want to know more about this because studies show Chinese women have a low incidence of gyn. cancers and breast cancers, that they eat soy(exactly what type to soy product is the $64,000 question) and they eat fruit. I let you know if I find out more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2002, 07:04 AM
soy

Judy, The only information I can share with you is what came from my Drs. This is from 3 different sources. The cancer I had was estrogen receptive, therefore I am to stay away from estrogen--no matter if it natural or not --"estrogen is estrogen" to quote my surgeon.
So soy is in many foods (hydrogenated soybean oil) and I don't really avoid that, but I certainly don't take soy intentionally. I have a book on cancer and nutrition from Cancer Centers of America, and they suggest soy products but say if you cancer is estrogen fed don't use the soy.
Upon occasion I read an article saying soy prevents cancers but I think I'll listen to my Drs.
You should discuss this with your oncologist. Since they seem to think your ovaries can stay, then your tumor must not be using estrogen.
What a conundrum! How do you get solid answers?
SusanL
Unread 08-12-2002, 12:03 AM

Thank you Susan. I think your doctors gave you very sound advice. It is better to be safe than sorry.

I added a post on this under cancer concerns if you want to read any more on it.

Bye.
Judy
Unread 08-12-2002, 07:27 AM

Hi Leigh,

I'm short on time right now and just skimmed this thread a bit, but thought I'd let you know that my regular GYN at Mt. Auburn diagnosed my cervical cancer this past April and Dr. Kris Ghosh from BI did my hysterectomy at Mt. Auburn with my GYN (Dr. Kawada) assisting. I used to work at Tufts New England MEdical Center when A.K. Goodman worked there. She is an outstanding physician. My case was pretty straight forward, so I did not go for another opinion with her, but she's really good and such a caring physician. Thought I'd give you that input.

Sorry, no time to write more. Sending you healing thoughts and prayers.

's
Unread 08-25-2002, 03:37 PM
Thanks Gail

Hi Gail -

Thanks for your post. (I was on vacation and just got it.) It's good to hear your confirmation of how good A.K. Goodman is. Dr. Kris Ghosh was also recommended to me highly - glad to hear things went well for you with him. Did you know he is the author of the Betty Crocker Living with Cancer Cookbook?

Thanks again for taking the time to write. All the best to you -

Leigh
Unread 08-25-2002, 04:38 PM

Hi Leigh!

Hope you had a good vacation. I read this thread a little bit more (instead of skimming it!) and what a story!! I opted not to have my surgery at the BI/Deaconess since they had a lot of layoffs around the time of my surgery, and I felt my care would be better at Mt. Auburn with my own GYN assisting.

I did know Dr. Ghosh was the author (he told me!!), and I actually ordered it...figured I could take some of the advice and recipes for my post-op days!

Take care. Gail

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register