Need advice for healing when obese | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Need advice for healing when obese Need advice for healing when obese

Unread 06-23-2002, 08:31 PM
Need advice for healing when obese

I am very overweight and I am worried about how my size will affect my healing. I am having a TAH/BSO on June 27th. If anyone who is also overweight can give me some advice, I would greatly appreciate it!!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-23-2002, 10:35 PM

I just went through my TAH and am too overweight. I am doing fine, however the best advise I can give you is to bite your teeth and get out of bed as soon as possible. The sooner you make yourself move, the better you'll feel. I think it's hard for everyone, regardless of weight. I do know that being a larger woman would seem to make it more difficult to recover, but I'm doing ok.

Wish you the best.
Unread 06-23-2002, 10:41 PM

I having the same thing on Tuesday 6/25. I am also obsese, and very worried about evertything connected with the surgery...anesthesia, boots fitting, healing, etc. Since I'm first, I'll let you know how I am doing.

Good luck and a speedy recovery!

Randi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-23-2002, 11:47 PM
Hope this helps

I am about 80 pounds overweight. I had my TAH on 6-9 and have not had much trouble at all. I have been up and running around for the last few days and feel pretty good. Every once in a while I will get a pulling feeling on the lower right side. They did my incision through my C-Section scar. across my lower abdomen. My belly hangs over the incision and sometimes when I sweat or take a shower it will get a little raw from the moisture. I am probably overdoing it but for the most part am doing good other than insomnia. Also on the outside incision I was glued and did not have staples or stiches so that helps alot....Hope things go well for you....Best of luck

:BGrin:
Unread 06-24-2002, 07:31 AM

I had my TAH/BSO on 5/3/02 and I am morbidly obese.. I have healed beautifully. My oncologist/gyn has released me for a year. I did everything suggested here.. I am very thankful that I had my DH who tried to do everything for me..(think he would have breathed for me) Had surgery on a Friday, came home Sunday, and for the first 3 days home, he wouldn't let me out of bed hardly. (My hospital was a 50 minute drive home) Then we started walking.. At first we just walked up and down the hall of our house..then we ventured outside.. Two weeks after, I walked a mile, and that was too much. Ended up in bed for 2 days with pain and swelling.. So I am living proof that obese sisters can recover!!!!! Again as I said in another post, I have found B.E.S.T.(Better Eaters Support Team) here at Hystersisters and so far I have lost around 15 lbs.. To find BEST go to the main menu of the message boards, and click on Hysteritaville Safari Resort and Fitness then click on BEST...

Hugs,
Laura/Orchid
Unread 06-24-2002, 07:34 AM

When I had my C-section, I lifted my belly and dried underneath with a hair dryer. Also, we put a gauze bandage to catch any "ooze" . Don't know if that helps, but throught that I would offer it as a suggestion.

I'm having a vertical incision tomorrow.

Regards.
Randi
Unread 06-24-2002, 04:55 PM

I was a very obese person (261lb.) who had a hyster on 3/22.

When I came out of hospital I was 14lb lighter and had an extremely good recovery. I ate healthy food (didn't put myself on a 'diet' as such) and started walking every day. By the end of the 6 weeks I was walking 30-40 mins per day and had lost a total of 33lb.

I joined the local gym at 8 weeks post op and have been going 4-5 times a week. I now weigh 220lb and feel better than I have done in years.

Yesterday I went and bought a pair of jeans that are 3 sizes smaller than my pre op jeans.

The Hyster has certainly changed my life for the better. I firmly believe that a positive attitude will assist the recovery process whatever a person's size. I have also been posting intermittently to the B.E.S.T. forum that Orchid referred to.

All the very best for your surgery and recovery - I must admit I was really worried prior to surgery, but it turned out to be the best thing that I have ever done.

Diana
Unread 06-24-2002, 07:10 PM

Thank you to everyone who responded to my question! All of your advice has really helped to ease my mind! This web site is a true God-send!

Thanks so much!!!
Shannon
Unread 06-25-2002, 12:04 AM

I too am overweight hun, and I just have one thing to say: this surgery takes a LOT out of your energy level. I told my mother that my main piece of advice for anyone having this who was overweight was to "fuhged aboud" shaving your legs! No one cares if your furry. It's just too darn draining to try and get around fat rolls with sharp instruments when you are "that" kind of uncomfortable. However, if you do, make sure you are sitting down in the tub or use and electric razor. Also, I found that shaving and washing my hair (it's long) in the same shower session wore me completely out, so I alternate those 2 tasks until my energy level is up. Well, that's just my .

Take Care and many
rlbmarshall
TVH 5/7/02 w/bladder something due to adenomyosis, prolapsed uterus, polycystic rt ovary and my uterus torn it was so thin!
Unread 06-25-2002, 07:25 AM

I'm 282 pounds, 20 of it gained in self-defense when the I was told that I had to have surgery (in a half-blind hope that the doctor would call the surgery off). I am 11 days post op have diabetes, high blood pressure and anemia.

Things are progessing well and I'm healing fine. I have this strange syndrome that seems to affect some people. I'm not hungry all the time and am eating quite a bit less than when I went in. If I try to push the food issue it seems like my body just doesn't want it.

At the hospital I had they didn't have an abdominal belt big enough to fit me and I'm told that this eases some of the pain a bit. So you might want to check out that they have one of these belts.

Getting out of bed can be quite an opera if you have a big belly like I do. But fear not it can be done.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register