Dry eyes / Contact Lenses | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dry eyes / Contact Lenses Dry eyes / Contact Lenses

Unread 06-26-2002, 05:29 AM
Dry eyes / Contact Lenses

This is my first time posting an actual question, so I'm not really sure where to put it!

I am almost one year postop, TAH. I have been on Cenestin for most of the year, but just recently switched over to Vivelle Dot .05 mg patch. I have worn contact lenses for what seems like forever, but since my surgery everything has dried up - especially my eyes and I find myself unable to wear my soft contact lenses.

I'm curious as to your experiences with contact lenses and this dryness I am experiencing. I despise wearing my glasses and am hoping there is something I can do to get back to my contacts. Are there any specific brands of lenses you've had success with? I haven't talked with my optometrist yet - wanted to see what y'all had to say! Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-26-2002, 08:41 AM
Contacts and Dry Eyes

I too wear contacts and have had a problem for years with dry eyes. I don't know of anything you can do other than continue to put in wetting drops during the day. My optometrist did not have any other ideas. I too hate wearing glasses...but the dry eyes really get to me by mid afternoon. As soon as I get home from work that's the first thing I do is take out my contacts because the dryness is so bad by then that I can't even see good. I too have thought about starting to wear my glasses again.

If you get any better answers please let me know.
Unread 06-26-2002, 09:44 AM
Dry eyes / Contact Lenses

hi ladies,
i wore contact lenses for 30yrs. and know all to well about dry eyes! i had lasik 2 1/2 yrs ago, very sucessfully i might add. i found by adding esrogen and progesterone increased the moisture quite a bit...then when i added testosterone that helped more. but the thing that helped the most was punctal (tear duct) plugs. they put this teeney tiny plug in the duct...usually they start with 1 in each eye...and if that helps but doesn't cure, they plug up the others. this is a relatively painless procedure and the irritation you feel for a few days getting used to them is no worse than what you are feeling now. i ended up having 1 of the ducts cauterized which was also not to painful. this procedure is also covered by insurance as chronically dry eyes can cause some very serious eye problems. ask your regular eye dr about it but you may have to see an eye surgeon...but also call around as i know all doc's don't know about this. i had mine done at mass eye and ear hospital which is a world renowned eye hospital.
not to scare you or anything but contacts are only supposed to be worn for 20 yrs. after that they start to grate on your cornea (just like sandpaper) which is what you are feeling. i was very angry to hear this, my reg eye dr never mentioned this...the eye surgeon told me (10 yrs to late). this is why it is VERY IMPORTANT that you take care of this problem as soon as possible. if you have any more questions...just ask. love, cynthia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-26-2002, 10:10 AM
Accuvue

I've been wearing contacts for 23 years and have never had any problems. Since I've been taking Premarin for a little over a week, I've noticed that my eyes are drier and my lenses have moved out of place a couple of times but I was able to blink them into place. It has not been bothersome to consider going back to my glasses. I do wear the Accuvue extended lenses for farsightedness and have great success with them. When I had to receive the depo shot after surgery, I didn't notice any difference at all. I am scheduled to go to my Optometrist in August and will ask him about the 20 year????, they also do the lasik surgery and are reccomended the 2nd best in the US for doing the surgery and although they have suggested the surgery, they have never pushed me to get it due to the years that I've been wearing lenses.

Hope this helps, Good Luck!

Brenda
Unread 07-04-2002, 07:24 PM
Side Effect of Cenestin

Hello!

Just saw this post and wanted to add that intolerance to contact is a major side effect of Cenestin.
I was placed on it after my hyster last may and I am a color contact wearer.
Immediately I noticed that my eyes were dried out. The information packet that comes with Cenestin list dry eyes/contact intolerance as a side effect.
Even though you are not on Cenestin, it take a while for synthetic hormones to clear the body.

I started NHRT creams in Dec 01 and my eyes have returned to normal. Also dryness comes with menopause too, my doctor suggested that I drink 80ozs of water a day.

Hope you find something that works!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register