Hysterectomy & Anxiety | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy & Anxiety Hysterectomy & Anxiety

Unread 06-28-2002, 11:01 AM
Hysterectomy & Anxiety

I have a question for someone, anyone! I am currently using the v.dot .05, and have cut a patch in half and applying that too. I thought I might need more. I am not having the hot flashes or anyone the symptoms that accompany menopause.
My problem is anxiety attacks, and the feeling that something is wrong all the time? My gyn prescribed paxil, stating that I was depressed. Now I wasn't depressed and didn't start having all of these feelings until after the hyst. So, thinking that my gyn didn't know what he was talking about, and he will not test my hormone levels, I went to my gp. She commends my gyn for not testing my levels and agrees with him that there is no set level. In the meantime while in the gp's office I have breakdown and cry, and don't stop crying all the way home. She prescribes prozac saying that it is for pmdd. Ok, I don't have a uterus or ovaries, and they wont' test anything. How do they know what to prescribe. I know that the hormones have nothing to do prozac and paxil, but if I was not depressed before the hyst, why now? Could this be the same as post partum. Do I take the paxil or the prozac?
I have also lost some weight. I was 146 and am now down to 128. Neither seemed concerned about the weight loss.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2002, 12:14 PM
Hysterectomy & Anxiety

My doc told me that since I had post partum after I had each of my kids...that my chances of getting post surgerical depression where higher than normal. And sure as snot, she was right. I am a worrier by nature anyway...but after surgery it was worse...as well as crying all the time, angry all the time, the smallest thing would drive me up the freakin wall. Talk to doc and she said I was depressed and put me on Wellbutrin. Now, Wellbutrin is an anti-anxiety medication...but is used for depression. It isn't suppose to have some of the side effects that some of the other happy pills have. I don't worry as much, don't cry at watching a Coke commercial or anything like that anymore. Felt pretty good actually.
I am not a doctor by anymeans but I feel, IMHO, that it is more than likely your hormones. When did you have your surgery?
I don't know how to post a link but if you go to the little search box up top on the right.. and go to Hormone Jungle Home --- Hormone Pulldown.. there is an article that pops up about how Hormones Affect Anxiety and Depression... It is an awesome article!!!
I hope you are feeling better soon and can work this all out. Don't be afraid to request a lab from your doc...or even look for another doc. Your health and welfare and sanity is what is important right now... not supporting a doctor financially, who isn't even listening to you... again, that is just my opinion though...LOL
*HUGE HUGS* Kathy
Unread 06-28-2002, 02:23 PM
Hysterectomy & Anxiety

thanks, for the info.. I guess I had forgetten that 5 years ago I had the post part.. just not that same as this. i guess now i need to figure out which anti-dep to take.
i will say this.. it is aweful to feel like this. i sometimes want to get in my car and go admit myself. i think i'm going crazy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register