ovarian/kidney masses | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

ovarian/kidney masses ovarian/kidney masses

Unread 06-28-2002, 12:37 PM
ovarian/kidney masses

After a bout with waist level abdominal pain about four weeks ago (accompanied by a low grade fever and general malaise), I had an ultrasound which showed what appeared to be an enlarged left ovary. My gyn reviewed the films, which had been ordered by my GP and done at the hospital, and advised me to come in for a followup ultrasound in four weeks. He wasn't overly concerned.

Much to his surprise, the ovary "flair-up" hadn't subsided. The mass was "heterogeneos" meaning a mix of solid and cystic and I have a similiar mass on my left kidney in addition to a fairly good sized accumulation of fluid in my abdomen on that side (which was present at the first ultrasound). I can’t imagine why the first ultrasound didn’t show any abnormality of the kidney since that was where my pain was located and where their initial focus was directed.

My gyn has referred me to a GYN Oncologist, who will make the final diagnosis. It is very likely the ovaries will come out even if the GO doesn't think their cancerous, since they tend to be conservative about those things. Fine with me.

I understand that benign kidney cysts/tumors can be present for years with no symptoms and be discovered by accident when trying to diagnose another problem, so there's a possibility that this is all just one big set of coincidences. Ovarian cyst, benign kidney thing, unrelated fluid pocket, let's hope.

Keeping my fingers crossed. I get a CAT scan on the 2nd and go to the GYN oncologist on the 5th of July.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2002, 03:34 PM
Wishing for Good News

You're on the right track--followup CT scan and a GYN/ONC. I now have benign (I hope) kidney cysts that have popped up since the first CT scan about 15 months ago. The women here will keep everything crossed, add you to the er list and hope you keep in touch before the 2d and 5th if you have questions or concerns or just need to let a few things out.
Unread 06-28-2002, 09:36 PM
ovarian/kidney masses

s FG

It's good that you are seeing a gyn oncologist. They are the experts. Like Margaret said, you are doing just what you need to do right now. My only other suggestion would be to have a ca 125 blood level done. A higher than normal reading can sometimes show a stronger possibility of ovarian cancer.
Hopefully everything will be just fine. Please keep in touch and let us know how everything goes. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

karenann

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register