Bladder spasms | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bladder spasms Bladder spasms

Unread 06-28-2002, 05:13 PM
Bladder spasms

I'm not sure what to do, maybe someone here can adivse me. About three days ago I started noticing that my bladder hurts. It hurts right before I urinate and hurts badly right afterwards. As my bladder fills it becomes more and more painful, I can feel it "quivering." I don't think I have a bladder infection since my urine is clear and it doesnt hurt while I go. It does hurt enough that I have started to take my Vicodin again in order to feel comfortable. I called the doctors office yesterday, and since we live 30 miles from the city, the nurse sent me to a country clinic for a urine test, telling me that as soon as she got the results she would call. It was her opinion that a bladder wouldnt behave like that unless there is an infection, though I've read in this forum differently. Well, when I went to give my sample, the clinic said they dont even send their samples to the city until later on today and the doctor won't receive results until tomorrow. Well, tomorrow is Saturday and my DR's office closed early today. Should I call the answer service? Do physicians check test results on weekends? Thanks for any suggestions!

(I have 4 of them )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2002, 05:24 PM
Bladder Spasms

There are a lot of reasons for bladder spasms.
It could be an infection but you won't know until you get the test run.
If you are horribly in discomfort i always say go to the ER.
you may have to wait around for hours but eventually you get seen.
Sometimes that's better than suffering till monday.
On the other hand, bladder spasms are a real condition and they have real non narcotic pain meds for that condition.
The thing about spasms is that they can be hard to catch.
Mostly diagnosis is done by symptoms and a process of elimination.
While things like narcotics will get the pain relief job done, eventually you're going to have someone give you flack about the drug.
So, it's best to try and get on non narcotic maintenance and use the big gun pain meds for those times when pain gets too edgy.
It's terrible that so many women suffer with bladder woes especially when there is so much really good medicine on the market for the problem.
This isn't brand new stuff.
When in doubt, go to the ER in an insistent mood.
Hope you feel better,
Hugs
Kamie
I dunno about you but we consider 50 miles to be just down the road a bit. I guess it's all perspective
Unread 06-28-2002, 08:36 PM
Hi

I'm having the same thing. I posted "What's Wrong with My Bladder" I started out feeling just like you and now I feel irritated, sorta burning in the bladder(not when I pee) gotta go frequently and then like I still have to go a few moments later...just down right uncomfortable. All my urine lab work came back negative for infection. So now they want me to try Detrol. I honestly don't feel like I'm having spasms now but it could say it felt like that 2 weeks ago. This is crazy. I had no bladder adhesions and have never had this problem. Had a TAH in 99 and no problems like this. Now with the BSO I'm all messed up.
I'm sorry to whine. I'm sorry about your tests getting a Saturday delay. I would leave a message and get with who ever is on call if it gets worse..or the ER is an option. That's what I'm planning to do. I hope we will be over this soon and just know you are not alone ,if that helps any s to you Braswel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2002, 09:15 PM
Bladder Spasms

I felt just like you did the day after I came home from the hospital. That was on a Saturday and it was Memorial Day weekend. I had to wait until Tuesday but when I called my doctor he automatically called in an antibiotic. I didn't have to take in a urine sample or anything. I can honestly say though that I didn't even begin to feel like it was getting better until about 12 days after surgery. There was a lot of pressure and I felt like I had to go 5 minutes after I just went. At first I thought it might be from the catheter I had to have for a day and a half. Then I read where your bladder can get bruised during surgery. Also, just from the doctor having to move everything around in there causes things not to work quite right for awhile. If you are allowed to take something with an anti-inflammatory like Advil....that would be helpful. I noticed a change when I started taking that.

I am now 5 weeks post surgery and I still think I get up too much at night to go to the bathroom. It is better than when I first came home....then it was every hour. Who can rest when you're like that? It just takes time. Try and be patient and let your body heal. Meantime stay in contact with your doctor as long as you are having problems. Good luck!
Unread 06-28-2002, 11:21 PM
Bladder spasms

I can say from extensive experience that these symptons could be either or. Bladder spasms are extremely painful as well as UTIs. I don't know whether anyone is aware of this but did you know that you can get at home tests for UTI's. I got mine from Walgreens. It measures the amount of nitrates in the urine. Nitrates are present when you have a UTI. It is not a substitute for medical care - I can't stress that enough but it really has helped me. You get six tests for about $12. Is is distributed by Consumer Choice Systems and you don't need a prescription to buy them. It is made by the same company that distributes Uristat which helps relieve the symptoms of an UTI. I have the 800 number if anyone wants it - just send me an e-mail. Barbara
Unread 06-29-2002, 06:25 AM
Bladder spasms

Most labs fax their reports to the Dr office. Unless your Dr happens to be in their office on Sat, you will proably not hear from them today. If you are very uncomfortable you could call your Dr and ask him to call in a script while you wait for the results on Monday. If you start to notice dark urine with an odor, or start running a fever, please call your Dr right away!!! Generally they will just phone in a script for an antibiotic and save you the cost and aggrevation of a trip to the ER.

What you discribe sounds very much like when I had bladder spasms. What I found helped me was a heating pad to my abdomen. Once I was able to get into the bath tub, a hot bath did wonders. Anti-inflamatories also are a big help.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Caren
Unread 06-29-2002, 02:17 PM
Bladder spasms

Thanks everyone for responding. Sometimes it helps to know others are, or have been, in the same situation and, as usual, you guys came through with some great suggestions. Last night it was very painful, on top of horrible joint pain. I thought I was running a fever. Could this be related to hormones? I am taking premarin with some kind of patch, but maybe not enough or too much hormones could cause these symptoms.

While kami112 is right, a 30 mile drive to town would normally be just a quick jaunt, we live on a remote ranch on unmaintained roads and the drive is very painful right now. Normally physicians take this into account and I thought for sure my DR would call in a prescription for bladder spasms. After reading some of your posts I did leave a message for the DR but I don't think he will check them until Monday. If this continues again throughout today and tonight I guess I will have to bite the bullet and go to the nearest ER tomorrow. Thanks again!

Unread 06-29-2002, 05:07 PM
Bumpy Roads

If forced to endure the ever torturous country bumpy road, pack a whole lot of pillows. Put on a nice thick sanitary panty pad, take a pain med and breathe deep.
I can certainly appreciate that bumpy road thing.
When you hurt even 2 miles seems like an eternity in a torture chamber.

I may not be the right one to comment here, since I have an extremely estrogen sensitive body that reacts badly to estrogen
BUT.........................
I tend to think that estrogen is a culprit that bears real consideration in mysterious body pains and systemic upset.

However, on thing is for sure, manytimes either too much or not enough of what your body needs on a hormone level can and will make your body go tilt.

Hugs and Hopes you are feeling better soon.

Put your feet up. elevation really helps and see if someone can help out with a foot massage especially in the arch of your foot.
That always used to help me when I used to suffer too.
Kamie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register