anyone have problems with ibuprofen?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

anyone have problems with ibuprofen?? anyone have problems with ibuprofen??

Unread 06-30-2002, 10:01 AM
anyone have problems with ibuprofen??

I've had an awful headache & neckache for 3 days now & it seems worse after taking ibuprofen, that's all I have left so i decided just to stick to tylenol but i get no relief, I'm also having alot of pain in my abdomen, probably from over doing it all week, I thought about calling the dr tomorrow for some pain pills but then I feel like a pill junkie--I just wondered if anyone else had any problems with ibuprofen---thanks!!----------Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-30-2002, 01:34 PM

Hi Kim!

I'm sorry you're having these symptoms!

I've certainly experienced times when ibuprofen did not affect my pain! The key with any acute pain is to take whatever you are going to take *before* the pain is out of control, in full force. I have a habit of saying to myself, "I'll see if this gets any worse or doesn't let up, and then I'll take something." Well.... I am soooo wrong so often! By the time the pain is in full force, it *is* out of control, meaning Mr. Pain has found a home and he's not leaving for a while.

Have you tried either aspirin or naproxen (Aleve) instead? Aleve has helped when ibuprofen did not; of course you can't take one until the other is out of your system.

Give the DR a call, sweetie ~ there's no shame in that whatsoever. If you are in pain, I think you should report these symptoms to your DR. You may receive a prescription, or you may receive a tongue-lashing from the nurse like I did...she snapped, "You need to relax and calm down! You just had major surgery and you are probably overdoing it!"
<----my nurse did *not* look this friendly.

I hope you feel better very soon, princess; try to relax and take it easy on yourself.

s,
Unread 06-30-2002, 02:15 PM
Call the Dr.

Don't feel like you are a pill junkie. All of us have had the pain, and all of us have our own threshold.

I had a horrible migraine one day when I had a wine cooler while I was still taking the Tylenol 3 just to help ease some of the other pain that I waited to long to treat. The worst part was, I had to wait 3 more hours before I could take one of my Percocet for the migraine and to ease the other pain. I am no light weight when it comes to pain, and I have a history of migraines which I KNOW I need to treat as the pain starts and not waiting until it is really bad, but it did not stop me from waiting to long. When I called the Dr. before having to wait to take the Percocet, he was very sympathetic about the pain, but reminded me that it could take the FULL 6 weeks before I feel no pain what so ever. He also told me that at ANYTIME if I need any more meds to just give him a call and to make sure I leave a pharmacy # where he can call in a prescription. Only you know what your pain level is, and how much you can handle...call him and get the relief you deserve.

Hope you feel better soon!!

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-30-2002, 06:05 PM

I agree with the others ... call your doc for instructions on what to take. There are many other options between ibuprofen and something as strong as percocet. Prior to my surgery, I had a prescription for Darvoset that my gyn gave me since ibuprofen and Anaprox were not touching the endo pain. With Darvoset, I could sleep at night.

In your case, surgery was not that long ago so you may need to take some stronger pain meds periodically when you are having pain. It's okay to need the pain meds, really!

Beth
Unread 07-01-2002, 01:21 AM

Ibuprofen can cause SEVERE stomach pain and gastrointestinal distress -- even bleeding in the stomach... I think you should call your doctor and tell him/her that you can not tolerate the ibuprofen and you need something stronger for a few days. You have had major surgery and deserve to be comfortable.

I told my DR right up front that my stomach does not tolerate ibuprofen and she wrote it on the FRONT of my chart to be sure nobody gave me any while in the hospital. She gave me two subscriptions for vicodin at discharge and that was all I needed to get me through recovery.

Dont' be afraid to speak up and tell them you have pain!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register