pain of pre-op exam? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pain of pre-op exam? pain of pre-op exam?

Unread 07-04-2002, 08:13 PM
pain of pre-op exam?

I am absolutely terrible with a computer. I'm not sure if I posted in the right place. I had read Bekki's post titled "pre-op today- six days to go". She said that the pre-op exam was very painful. I was wondering if this was due to the rectocele she has. I tried to add on to the end of her post. my pre-op is scheduled for 07/17. I thought it would be just a regular pelvic exam. The endometrial biopsy was so painful. but I thought painful exams were over, and that the next big hurdle would be the surgery. What is usually done at the pre-op exam? lhg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-04-2002, 08:53 PM
pain of pre-op exam?

Hi,

I am not sure what happens at the pre-op, but mine is scheduled for tomorrow, July 5. I will let you know.

Thanks, Jacque
Unread 07-04-2002, 08:58 PM
pain of pre-op exam?

Ihg,

Just thought I'd tell you how to contact Bekki. I can't help you with your question and there aren't many on line tonight so we can play with the computer.

If you would like to ask Bekki about her exam you can send her a private message through Hyster Sisters or you can send her an email by her e mail address.

Private Messages: Up top of the each forum message page are some purple buttons. The first one is User CP, click on user cp and the next screen will have options to click on. Look for Private Messages. Click on it. At the bottom on that page you will see buttons, click on Send PM. A screen will appear, type in her user name Bekki. Type your message and push send. When you go to the forum page you can view, at the top, the status of your personal messages, or just click on User CP from other pages.

For e mail: go to the bottom of her thread (her question 6 days ago) and look for the purple button called Profile. Click on profile and it will tell her date of birth etc. One of the lines will state, send email, just click on it. Clear as Mud, right???

Play with it...you can't hurt anything. I like to send private messages through hyster sisters, that way the rest of her family does not have to look at her mail. You can practice on me. I'll check the computer until about 11 to nite ( now 8:55 in CA). Push print if you have a printer and then you will have these fabulous directions in front of you.

Have fun with it...it will take your mind off other things.

Maralyn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-04-2002, 09:03 PM
pain of pre-op exam?

And Ihg, you did just great with a reply to Bekki's thread. It's just that she must be out lighting off fireworks like everyone else tonight. She and probably others will answer you when they get back on line.
Happy 4th,
Maralyn
Unread 07-04-2002, 09:41 PM
It's me !!! Finished with the fireworks!!

Girl, don't worry about that pre-op app't. I told you in another thread that he wasn't even going to do an exam because he did one when he initially told me I needed a hyst.... but I mentioned some difficulties I've had in my posterior region so he wanted to do an exam to check for a rectocele... and he was right... he's going to fix that too.

Don't worry... I'm sure everything will be fine!

My hyst is 5 days away... and I'm a nervous wreck!
Unread 07-04-2002, 10:13 PM
pain of pre-op exam?

I just had my pre-op appointment on Tuesday, and it did not even include a pelvic exam. Maybe that's because she did one when we decided to do the hyst. At pre-op, my Dr. explained in some detail just exactly what she's going to do and how, what kind of pain relief I'll get in the hospital, and all of the possible things that could go wrong. She wasn't trying to scare me, but she was just making sure I know all of the possibilities beforehand. (part of obaining informed consent). Then she gave me some final instructions, the usual don't eat or drink after midnight, etc.

So, I wouldn't worry about that exam at all.
Unread 07-06-2002, 02:20 PM
pain of pre-op exam?

My pre-op was no big deal. Only a short pelvic exam, drawing of some blood and a lot of questions. Some DR's also do chest xrays.
Unread 07-06-2002, 02:48 PM
pain of pre-op exam?

My pre-op didn't even include a pelvic exam because I had just gotten my period 2 days before, and was flowing very hard. I had a D&C 3 months before my hyst, so he said it wasn't absolutely necessary to do a pelvic that day, and he would examine me in the OR after I was under anesthesia.

Best of luck with your surgery.
Unread 07-06-2002, 08:42 PM
pain of pre-op exam?

My pre-op never involved a pelvic exam. I just went in and the nurse asked me a few questions (what medications I was taking, any allergies to meds, etc.). then the doctor came in and checked out my lungs and heart. It was a breeze! I hope your's is as easy - but keep in mind that every doctor is different.

Good luck with everything.

Sue
Unread 07-06-2002, 11:01 PM
I must have got it easy for pre-op

My pre-op was actually my post-op from my cystecomy. All he did was the post op exam, removed a stitch that was coming up through one of the keyholes, told me about everything he found, gave me my options with pro's and con's of each, gave me details on the different further surgery options, and sent me on my way with a decision to make. After discussing with my family and choosing the hysterectomy, called my doctor (three days after my post-op), told him my decision and they scheduled the surgery. All I have left to do is get blood and urine a week prior and nothing to eat after midnight the night prior. Nothing else. I had to go through more pre-op for having kidney stones blasted, and for having a colonoscopy this past year. Go figure.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register