Private vs Semi Private Room? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Private vs Semi Private Room? Private vs Semi Private Room?

Unread 07-04-2002, 11:28 PM
Private vs Semi Private Room?

Hi Ladies!!!

This question has been popping around in my head (along with everything else these days! :hair: )

Do any of you sisters have an opinion and/or experience you'd like to share?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-04-2002, 11:33 PM

I chose a private room and was glad I did. I wanted privacy and to be able to rest quietly. If you have a roommate you have to deal with their visitors and the lack or privacy.
Unread 07-05-2002, 04:08 AM

I agree totally with LynnMary. I had a private room and it was just the best. It all depends on how quiet you want to be or whether you like the company of having a roomy.

I met most of the other ladies in my ward on day 2 post. We were all doing laps around the ward together, so in effect, we all got to meet each other, but most of us were in private rooms and it was nice to be able to lay down, get up, watch tv, have the light on, have a shower and visitors without annoying anyone else and vice versa.

I would definitely go the private room if I have to be in hospital again (hopefully never again).

Regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-05-2002, 04:52 AM

Hi,

I didn't have a choice, but if I had, I would have preferred a private room. I had an older roommate who was recovering from an operation for colon cancer - unfortunately, she was in quite a bit of pain, and not able to do much of anything for herself, including call for the nurses help. In her case, she didn't have any visitors, so I was the one that she asked when she needed help. I didn't get much rest and was glad to be sent home.

I vote for the private room.

's

Karen
Unread 07-05-2002, 05:25 AM

Go for private if you can get it. I had a roommate the first night - she had bladder repair. There were 8 people in the room being pretty loud that night. Luckily she went home the next morning, and I had the room to myself until I went home the next day.
Unread 07-05-2002, 05:55 AM
Personal choice

This question was posted when I was still pre-op and princesses told of pros and cons of having a roommate. I decided to let fate decide.

I had a roommate who had the same surgery, by the same doctor, about six hours after me. While she and I wouldn't have been friends otherwise, having this in common gave us something to talk about. We watched out for each other and gave encouragement when our families were gone.

Since we were close to the same time frame, we went through stages at the same time and it was really nice to actually have someone else who did know what I was feeling.

We ran into each other at the doctor's office at our two week post-op and it was like 'old home week.'

I have heard other roommate stories that are not as good, but if I had to do it again, I would choose to do it with someone again.

Nancy
Unread 07-05-2002, 07:02 AM

I had a private room and was glad that I did. I kept the door closed the entire time I was there because of all the noises in the hallway. I'm a very light sleeper and this gave me the quiet I needed to rest. Otherwise I was wanting to know what was happening outside. I was in the hospital 3 weeks before my surgery and could hear everything going on and didn't like it at all. That's when I realized, close the door! duh :hair:
TC
Unread 07-05-2002, 10:22 AM
Private vs semi private room?

Dear Endochick,

About two weeks before my surgery, my Mom offered to make up the difference between what my insurance would pay for a semi private room and what the hospital would charge for a private room. At that point, I really hadn't given it much thought but my Mom was insistant I would want a private room.

At my pre-op apt. I asked the admitting nurse what the price difference would be and she told me $33.00 a night. I couldn't believe it! I thought it would be in the $100.00 range but keep in mind, it's the difference between what insurance picks up, not the "out right" fee. The admitting nurse went on to tell me that it really wouldn't be necesary to officially ask for a private room as I would probably get one anyway, without being charged extra.

I called my Mom and told her what information I had gathered. She was not happy letting the situation just play out and was worried that there would not be a private room available if I waited until after my surgery and found I was in a semi private room. She lives in a different state from me and recently experienced problems with over crowding and shortages of nurses in her local hospital.

So I decided to call the hospital and ask again, this time, asking one of the nurses on the actual floor I would be on how crowded they were and what she thought I should do. She gave me the exact same reply the admitting nurse had said. No over crowding, plenty of private rooms, don't bother to ask officially and have the extra charge added on.

So, another call to Mom and I insisted that I was comfortable letting things play out since I had been assured it wouldn't be a problem. Well, I did get my very own room with no roommate. As a matter of fact, they had removed the second bed that had originally been in the room so I was in a room large enough for two people, by myself with my own bathroom. It was heaven and my insurance picked up the entire bill as the room was officially a semi private room. Another issue of interest - I was one of three patients on the entire obgyn wing of the hospital! I had plenty of nurses and the entire hallway was very quiet the entire 3 1/2 days I was there!

Hope this helps a little.
Lauren
Unread 07-05-2002, 11:48 AM

Hi,
Although I had requested a private room before my TAH/BSO,I was in a semi private room for the first 2 days of my 5 day stay. Unfortunately my roommate was very demanding of the nurses ,asking for snacks ALL night, talking on the phone nonstop and trying to talk when I felt my worst. Her minor procedure was the day after my surgery and although the curtain was pulled between our beds, she suddenly whisked it open and put a color closeup photo in my face of the benign growth she had had removed. When my Dr. came in that morning she knew I had not been getting any rest so she again requested the private room and luckily someone was leaving. I can't tell you the difference in the way I felt with peace and quiet! I hit the button on the phone that does not allow calls to come through and finally slept.
The extra cost was 30.00 per day but very much worth it.
Good luck!
Sally
Unread 07-05-2002, 12:27 PM

I didn't think to check on this before my hyst -- had a semi private room with a roomie who was in a lot of pain but was such a b#@!* that the nurses didn't want to come in and help either of us!

Go for private --- you don't want to be blamed for your roomie's sins!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register