back from the gyn oncologist | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

back from the gyn oncologist back from the gyn oncologist

Unread 07-05-2002, 12:06 PM
back from the gyn oncologist

I had my appt with the GYN Onc today. From my first post: I had been sent due to masses on the left ovary and left kidney and accumulation of fluid in the abdomen revealed by ultrasound. I had a CAT scan Tuesday and when I picked up my films and radiology report on my way to the Oncologists, I was pleased to read that the CAT was normal for the kidney, no evidence of a kidney mass.

Overall, the ovary is still unclear, we'll take both out a week from Monday on the 15th. The CAT report was more positive than negative, although he did note a "small 7 millimeter nodule in the omentum near the transverse colon. Although early peritoneal tumor could have such an appearance, benign lymph nodes are not uncommonly seen in this area and with this appearance in people who have no malignancy."

Also my GYN Oncologist feels that due to the level of lower quadrant pain (walking around and with exam), that my condition is more likely inflamatory in nature (complex cysts, maybe some endo) since cancer is less likely to produce pain in the same way. While he is optomistic, like any Oncologist, he does the "we just don't know until we get in there" disclaimer since I'm sure he's seen as many of one outcome as the other. He wants my regular GYN to assist at the surgery, which is also good since he's familiar with everything that's been done in there.

I'll have my blood workup (including the CA-125) next Wednesday. MY ONC says that the CA-125 results will only be useful if I actually have cancer. Low levels don't mean I don't have cancer and elevated ones don't neccesarily mean cancer since he has seen very high ones (high three digits) from endo alone. If the levels are high and it is cancer, the levels can be useful in tracking effectiveness of the treatment.

I'm feeling pretty positive at this point, since I don't have an cancer history in my family and the "more physiologic than malignant" opinion of the radiologist. I'll keep you posted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-05-2002, 12:29 PM
Good Luck, Best Wishes, GYN/ONC Best Choice

You're making the best choice Dr. wise and I'm pleased with the interpretations they've made of the CT scan. Saying a er or two for you and hope all goes well.
Unread 07-08-2002, 06:40 PM

F.G
SORRY TO BE SO LATE POSTING GOOD THOUGHTS, I HAVE NOT BEEN ON THE SITE FOR A FEW DAYS.
THE VERY BEST OF LUCK TO YOU AND POSTIVE THOUGHTS TOO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-09-2002, 03:17 PM

s FG

You will be in my thoughts and prayers on the 15th. May I post your surgical date in the calendar? Will you just be having the ovarian mass removed?

karenann

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register