Newly Diagnosed - Endometrial Adenocarcinoma | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Newly Diagnosed - Endometrial Adenocarcinoma Newly Diagnosed - Endometrial Adenocarcinoma

Unread 07-08-2002, 02:07 PM
Newly Diagnosed - Endometrial Adenocarcinoma

Well, Ladies, I found your great site and have been reading it for days. It's about time I joined the fun.

I'm 54 and have had very sporatic spotting for a couple months. I went to my internist who told me not to worry - it's probably just a last gasp effort from my dwindling estrogen. I insisted it was more so to placate me, I had an internal and external ultrasound (in addition to all the regular Pap, mammogram, etc). A couple weeks later I went back for the results and everything was clean. Sorry, Doc, something is not right!! I insisted on a referral and went to a GYN.

She reviewed my test results and said my uterine wall was to thin to support cancer. It was less than a 1% chance. Again, sorry, Doc, something is not right!! I had a uterine biopsy done in the office. What a surprise to the docs that it came back positive. Needless to say, it is a verrry early stage.

Best lesson my mom ever taught me (a grand survivor of two cancers), always insist with medical care. Waiting 6 months to observe is a waste of time and maybe a life. My family is famous for bossy broads.

To cut this short, I saw a gyno oncologist last Friday. My surgery (TAH with ovaries, tubes, nodes and anything else he can find) is scheduled for Aug. 6. I told the doc I'm not very patient, so hopefully it may be on July 23 if another lady cancels. If I ask nicely, do you think he'll do a tummy tuck at the same time?

It's kind of funny, but with all the history of cancer in my family (it's almost a rite of passage), I'm not to worried. It's early, it's curable, and I'll get great health care for the rest of my life. One scare makes all docs proactive.

Hope to hear from you. You're WEB site is great. BTW, I've always hated the phrase cancer survivor. Why don't we have childbirth survivor?, appendectomy survivor, boob job survivor???

Laura - Dare to in DC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-08-2002, 03:23 PM

s Laura

Welcome to CC!!! I'm glad you decided to post. And congrats to you for being so assertive when you knew things just weren't right. Sounds like you caught it early. Some of the gals who share your diagnosis will be along to share tips with you. As you get ready for your August date, you should check out some other forums on this site. Pre op and Post op. Great sights for knowing what to expect and how to recover.
Cancer survivor? It's an okay term. Personally I like cancer thriver better!!
How about cancer survivor thriver? Or cancer striver thriver?

karenann
Unread 07-08-2002, 06:23 PM

HI, LAURA
GLAD THAT YOU INSISTED ON MORE TESTS AND IMMEDIATE CARE.

I HAD ENDOMETRIAL CANCER AND A HYST WITH EVERYTHING REMOVED WAS ALL I NEEDED. THEY GOT IT EARLY AND THAT IS THE MAIN THING.
YOU WILL BE RESTING FOR A FEW WEEKS. TAKE IT AS EASY AS YOU CAN AND ALL WILL BE FINE.
GOOD LUCK AND POSITIVE THOUGHTS FOR ( HOPEFULLY JULY )

IF NOT THAN AUG. S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-09-2002, 02:27 AM
LOL

You are a riot! Welcome to hystersisters! From one pushy broad to the next- congratulations! You are a fine example of what more women need to do. "listen to their bodies"! We have a girl on the site that always said, "cancer whispers"- boy does it. It takes a tremendous amount of effort and courage to fight the run around you get these days with our healthcare people! I was especially ran around the bush- I was 29 and had taught aerobics for 11 years, ran marathons, had three kids- hey, I KNEW something was wrong! I felt like crap for three years. They say it was a coincidence. YAH RIGHT!

Thanks so much for posting. I just know we'll have a great time together! I am sorry about your diagnosis. Thank god for your perseverence and having a wise mother. I am sorry, however, that your family and yourself must make this battle. You have friends here, and anytime you need to vent- please let us know! sss to you.
Unread 07-09-2002, 02:29 AM
P.S.

Oh yes, forgot to tell you- I am a BOOB JOB survivor!!! Had those taken out with my left axillary lymph nodes in October. Boy, if those didn't almost kill me! GEESE!
Unread 07-09-2002, 02:34 AM

Just thought I would jump in here and tell you what they call us here in Australia

I went to a 'cancer survivor ' forum a few months ago and they called us ~ get this ~ cancer consumers

Can you believe it ? I told them in no uncertain terms that I was no consumer of cancer thankyou very much
Unread 07-12-2002, 12:15 AM

Hi Laura,
Thank you for sharing this. It reminded me of when I went to the gyn. knowing something was wrong. I have been as regular as Big Ben all my life and was suddenly spotting between periods and having heavy periods.

I wish I had a nickel for every time the doctor or a nurse said, "Oh don't worry. You are just perimenopausal..." Embrace the change!" my gyn. said. After months of this I convinced her to do a biopsy and the first thing she said on the phone when she called with the results was, "I just want to congratulate you on insisting something was wrong."

Ugh!

Bye, and good luck to you.
Judy
Unread 07-12-2002, 06:17 PM
Hi Laura

Good for you for being such an advocate for yourself. You may have saved your life.
My doctor did an endometrial biopsy right away for me. She thought it was just the change but I too was in that 1%-2% of women who get this. We are lucky in that it is usually caught early and hysterectomy is the cure. We usually don't need any other treatment.
I had my procedure done at 50 and have just turned 51. I am feeling really good. It is so nice to have the anemia and bleeding gone along with the cancer.
At this point I am proud to be called a cancer survivor. There is alot to go through on this journey and alot to deal with on many levels. It is very nice to look back, especially when the cancer is gone, and know you have met all the challenges and that you are still going strong.
There is lot's of support and information here to help you meet your challenges and get through this just fine. Please feel free to email me if I can answer any questions.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register