Upcoming hysterectomy 1/26: Will my menopause symptoms get worse again after surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 1/26: Will my menopause symptoms get worse again after surgery? Upcoming hysterectomy 1/26: Will my menopause symptoms get worse again after surgery?

Unread 01-16-2017, 08:19 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 1/26: Will my menopause symptoms get worse again after surgery?

Hi,

I am wondering about what to expect, re: menopause symptoms after my TAH/BSO next Thursday. I am 53 and have been experiencing menopausal symptoms for about three years now. I origially had the severe hot flashes and insomnia but that has lessened now to hot flushes that are more manageable and better, although not great sleep. Maybe I've just gotten used to the poor sleep.

So I feel like I'm starting to come out on the other side of this whole menopause thing and now, with my upcoming TAH/BSO, will I be back to square one again? I don't know if I can do this twice.

Has anyone experienced this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2017, 07:53 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 1/26: Will my menopause symptoms get worse again after surgery?

Hard to say. Sometimes even women who've finished menopause years ago have a resumption of menopausal symptoms once their ovaries are removed. However, I didn't, myself.

You're going to go from having your ovaries produce a presumably low level of estrogen to having no ovaries and therefore no estrogen from that source. You shouldn't be back to square one (starting form a *high* level of estrogen) but you experience a temporary uptick in symptoms.
Unread 01-17-2017, 09:31 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 1/26: Will my menopause symptoms get worse again after surgery?

I agree with ((Surprised)). You will be going from a trickle of estrogen to none so some of the symptoms you have been experiencing for the past few years may be more common or come on quickly, like hot flashes or insomnia. Are you a candidate for HRT? If you are talk to your doctor before surgery to see how he can help combat these side effects. Good luck!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2017, 11:53 AM

I had already gone through complete menopause before my surgery but when my ovaries were removed, I had just a very brief period of hot and cold flashes. It was no where as bad as the first round of initial menopause symptoms.

Hugs and good luck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register