Follow Up Care | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Follow Up Care Follow Up Care

Unread 07-10-2002, 12:32 PM
Follow Up Care

Hello Sisters,

All went well at my checkup yesterday (1st one since completing my surgery/chemo/radiation), and now am just waiting on results of Pap (which I don't have a lot of confidence in these days considering all mine were normal even while I had a large cancer growing on my cervix).

My question is for those of you who are being followed for cervical cancer, what procedures are being used for your care? My doctor basically indicated exams/Paps every 3 months for 3 years and then every 6 months for 2 years. I guess I was a little surprised that they don't do CT scans or anything similar to look for problems internally. I fully trust my doctor and am being followed at a major cancer center/teaching hospital, but I know you all understand how I wish I had a magic mirror that could show me what is going on inside my body these days!

Joanie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-10-2002, 04:29 PM
Follow Up Care

Hi, Joanie!

I am happy to hear your appointment went well! I felt bad that I didn't see your earlier post about your appointment--I didn't get to wish you well ahead of time!

Anyway, even though I didn't have true cancer (mine is considered stage 0), my follow-up care is similar. I will have PAP's (sometimes called vault smears) every 3 months for 2 years. Then, after some discussion and depending on how things go overall (I had an abnormal one 2 months ago, but now I just had a normal one again), then we will move to every 6 months. I will have a colposcopy once a year to be sure it all looks good. After that, I don't know.

Here's hoping for great PAP results to follow a good appointment!

Unread 07-10-2002, 05:29 PM
Follow Up Care

Hi Joanie,
So glad your checkup went well! Sounds like they are going to keep a close watch on you with the regular checkups!! Thats very good and although they can be nerve wracking at times they are well worth it, and very reassuring.
Joanie, I see you had cisplatin.....how did you make out with it? I also had that and I was really ill with mine. My treatments were 5 consecutive days so I think the buildup is what caused me to be so ill with it. I had 2 other drugs as well...but I really think it was that one that made me so ill. Anytime I see someone else who had it I like to ask how they made out with the side effects.

Sending good thoughts and prayers that the test results come back with wonderful results!!
Hugs
Maria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-10-2002, 06:35 PM
Follow Up Care

I JUST WANT TO ADD CONGRATS FOR YOUR GREAT CHECK-UP!!
YOU ARE BEING WATCHED VERY CAREFULLY AND THAT'S GOOD.
GREAT NEWS :
Unread 07-12-2002, 09:39 PM
follow up care

This is my first time to post but have been reading this wonderful site for several weeks. I am 35 yrs. old , married with 2 daughters, ages 6 and 7! I was diagnosed with cervical cancer, stage1b in May 2002, and had a radical hysterectomy on June 4, 2002. Path reports were clear, Thank God, and no more treatments needed!!! I also have been told that I will be having checkups with my doctor every 3 months for 3 years, and then every 6 months for 2 yrs.! I was hoping they would do ct scans periodically , but had not asked about it. I also wish I had a magic mirror to see inside , but just trust that God will continue to care for us! I have not missed one anual pap since age 17 and had only one abnormal pap in all these years, that was right before I got pregnant with my second daughter, 6 1/2 yrs . ago, had cryo surgery and never had an abnormal one since. I was not due to go for my anual exam until June 2002, but made my appointment in May instead , because I had some slight spotting after sex , maybe for 3-4 months prior, very light pink and then it would go away. Thank God I went when I did as it was caught fairly early! Just wanted you to know that I have some of the same thoughts as you! My surgery went well and am recovering pretty well!!! Hope you are too!
Unread 07-13-2002, 04:41 AM
Follow Up Care

Hi Joanie,

Glad to hear you had a great check-up. I'm about to go for my first 3 month check-up since my radical hysterectomy too! My stage is 1B, but the lymph nodes were clear and I did not require further rad tx or chemo. I was also told that I would go for a PAP (of vaginal wall) every 3 months for two years and then every 6 months for three years, before going back to every year. In addition, they want me to get a yearly chest x-ray.

's

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register