TVH for CIN3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 07-11-2002, 05:47 AM
TVH for CIN3

From reading all the posts it appears that most women have a TAH as opposed to TVH. Has anyone had a TVH when the diagnosis was CIN3 or CIS?

Doc says she can do TVH since I've had three kids and have a mildly prolapsed uterus. My concern is 'what if there is cancer' somewhere else in the area? Can the doc see everything as well as with a TAH? She says yes....

Anyone have a TVH when there was the possibility of cancer???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-11-2002, 06:01 AM
TVH for CIN3

Hi, Kedda!

I had a TAH, but I had had so many previous abdominal surgeries that they were anticipating problems with adhesions, so I did not have a choice. I know other women here, though, who have had TVH with CIS, and there doesn't seem to be a problem. The parts just come through the vagina instead of the abdomen, and when the parts come out, if something looks funny, well, they'll just look further. And, I suppose, if for some reason they found out you had very advanced cancer, well, they could still open the abdomen and do whatever else needed to be done. That would be extremely rare, Kedda. Cervical cancer is usually very slow-growing, and if by some unusual chance your precancerous condition has advanced to cancer, it would likely be in the very early stages and would not have spread anywhere.

Talk to your doctor some more about this if you are uncomfortable. The important thing is that you feel comfortable going into the procedure.

Good luck!

Unread 07-11-2002, 02:38 PM
TVH for CIN3

I have also have 3 children and have been diagnosed with adenocarcinoma in situ. CIN2 Precancer of cervix. Due to the irregular pattern of bad cells my dr. urged me to have a TVH since he is afraid the biopsy didn't get it all. I am having trouble finding people who have had TVH in our situation also. I know we are supposed to heal faster with TVH, but am still very unsure of how we will feel physically after the surgery. I don't want to have surgery, but don't want to have cancer. The hard part of all this is that I don't feel bad, no bleeding, pain, etc. I would almost be relieved if the Path. report shows more CIN2. Then I will feel I did the right thing. Do you have similar thoughts? Just wondering.
Good luck to you!!

LEILAH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-11-2002, 03:12 PM
TVH for CIN3

s Kedda and Leila

I had ovarian cancer, so the TAH was the only way to proceed.
My strong advice to you both would be: when any doubts exist, please don't hesitate to get a second opinion from a gyn oncology surgeon. They are the experts when it comes to gyn cancers.
Best wishes to you both!!!

karenann
Unread 07-11-2002, 04:58 PM
TVH for CIN3

Excellent point, Karen. A second opinion is always a good idea, and those gyn/onc docs are at the top!! Now, my doc is not a gyn/onc, but he is in close contact with one who practices down the hall and they have consulted together on me numerous times. It's so nice to have a doc that's committed to quality patient care!

Leilah--I was a little confused by your post. So do you have CIN2 or do you have adenocarcinoma-in-situ? Or do you have both (meaning both squamous cells and glandular cells are involved)?

Good luck, girls!
Unread 07-12-2002, 06:28 PM
LAVH for Cancer

I had a LAVH for cancer a month ago. My Dr. said they are doing more and more vaginal surgeries for cancer that way (at Sloan-Kettering). With the laparascope, he was able to visualize my entire pelvic/abdominal area. He checked my lymph nodes, took the top of my vagina, and did abdominal washings to check for malignant cells. All of this with 4 small incisions. I feel very confident that he "got it all."
Unread 07-15-2002, 05:44 AM
TVH for CIN3

Thanks for the replies....

My concern over having the TVH is when the path results come back they will show cancer was present, and if they had done a TAH it would have been discovered by the doctor and maybe more extensive surgery would have been performed.

If the path comes back positive for cancer, will more extensive testing be done to see of it has spread? I would just like to stop worrying and know that they got EVERYTHING!

Leilah,

Sounds like we are in the same situation right now...I don't have any doubts about the wisdom of having the hysterectomy. After the cone there is not enough cervical tissue left to do anything else, and I have had a biopsy and two paps come back bad since the cone. I just want to feel comfortable that the TVH (as opposed to TAH) is the right way to go.

The doctor has been my gyn for 15 years, she delivered two of my three children....but now I keep wondering....How do you know they are a good doctor????

Kedda
Unread 07-15-2002, 06:00 AM
TVH for CIN3

Kedda,

I am having doubts too. I really trust my dr., but just don't want to have the surgery in the first place. Wondering if I should get a 2nd opinion. The dr. asked if I wanted one at my last visit, but I said no. I have read the path. report and have had bad pap smear in the past. The part I never ??? was the TVH as opposed to the TAH, just thought the TVH was less invasive and since I don't need to have my ovaries removed I didn't think TAH was an option I would want in the first place. If you can recover faster and in less pain why not? I am having lots of pre-op jitters.

LEILAH
Unread 07-16-2002, 05:21 PM
TVH for CIN3

Hi,

I had a TVH in 11/01 for what was thought to be AIS. (adeno in situ) When the path came back it was adenocarcinoma Stage 1A. Anyway, the doctor told me that there was a 1 in 500 chance that they did not get it all. The latest research (which my oncologist said was extensive) indicates that for precancer and Stage 1A cervical cancers all that is needed is a TVH rather than a radical.

With the TVH I was walking the next day. I felt fully recovered after about 4 or 5 weeks. My advice is don't have abdominal surgery if it is not necessary. I had a C-section with my first child. the recovery for that was much more difficult.

Good luck with your decision.

-Denise
Unread 07-17-2002, 04:11 PM
TVH for CIN3

I am also facing a LAVH for Adeno in situ. They did a cone 2 years ago, and it came back with a negative margin, but now my GYN and my oncologist agree that a hysterectomy is the way to go. I also have endometriosis, so they're going to just take out everything. At this point, they cannot tell me for certain if my cancer has returned or not. We'll see after the surgery.

My doctor is confident that if my cancer has recurred (or it was hiding when they did the cone last time) that they can get it all with a vaginal.

I guess I see recovery to be soooo much easier with a vaginal, and if they feel a need to go in abdominally after I'm under, they can.

Good luck with your decision making. It's a crummy process, honestly.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register