Well meaning idiots???? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Well meaning idiots???? Well meaning idiots????

Unread 07-11-2002, 08:48 AM
Well meaning idiots????

I really need to get this off my chest. Yesterday, I was speaking with my Aunt (55 years old) and casually mentioned my surgery. She immediately said "Why are you having a hysterectomy, you don't have a bunch of kids". My questions to that was what does that have to do with anything you don't have to have a bunch of kids to need a hysterectomy. Then she proceeded to say you are to young to have a hysterectomy.

I simply told her why don't you do some research on hysterectomy's before you start talking about something you no nothing about.

It just galls me when people start talking and don't know what they are talking about. :hair:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-11-2002, 09:05 AM
Well meaning idiots????

I hear ya!!!!!!!!!!
TC
Unread 07-11-2002, 10:00 AM
Hi Sweetie

Yup there are some people who are like that. I just ignored them. You are informed and you should listen to your DR. Everything else is just icing on the cake, be it bad or good. God bless. and keep listening here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-11-2002, 10:07 AM
Total Idiots

I know what you mean. I have 5 sil's and they just don't understand how I could do this. They think I shoud try for a daughter (We have 3 sons) my baby is 16 and I will be darned if I will start all over again even if I could. Stick to your guns and tell the well meaning idiots to mind thier own business.
Unread 07-11-2002, 10:17 AM
feeling your pain

When I told my mother-in-law that I was having a hysterectomy she got very quiet then launched into a near tirade about how she wants more grandchildren. She already has one, thanks to my brother-in-law, but they aren't having any more children and we don't have any.

Pffft, is it too much to expect people to be supportive? Don't let 'em get you down, Quetepi.
Unread 07-11-2002, 10:31 AM
Well meaning idiots????

I didnt tell any more people than were really necessary about my hysterectomy and some of the ones I told said things like "Oh, I am so sorry to hear that. That is an awful thing to go through. I had one way back when and...."
I stop them in their tracks and say thank you but I am not sorry about it because I will feel better and be healthier after its over. That seems to be all that is needed and it changes their tune.
Unread 07-11-2002, 10:38 AM
Too Many people

I didn't want to tell anyone but family about it because I know just how cruel some people can be but my dh told just about everyone he works with and you know the stupidest thing someone said to him was! "Don't worry she will still be a woman"
Isn't that the stupidest thing you ever heard.
That is why I didn't want to let any one else know.....Some people are just so dumb
Unread 07-11-2002, 11:06 AM
Well meaning idiots????

Oh the young comments. I know they can be frustrating. I didn't tell to many people except a couple close friends and relatives that already had it done. I remember a link awhile back that some had great responses. Good luck to you. https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...young+comments
Unread 07-11-2002, 12:17 PM
idiots all right!!

Had a lady call me the other night wanting me to come do an animal related activity next weekend. I said sorry I will just be getting out of the hospital. After much questioning I finally said I was having a Hyster. She asked why and I said so I don't bleed to death. After much laughter on her end she finally said you are so funny! Don't you know you just need to take Iron for that ...................
Unread 07-11-2002, 01:57 PM
Well meaning idiots????

Since my sister and I have both had a history of gynecological problems and both need hysterectomies, my mother has been very careful to make sure both of us know we didn't get that from HER side of the family.

To those compelled to ask that I don't want to go into details with, I just say I am having female surgery. and yes some dont take the hint and then ask what kind, amd I have just given a puzzled expression andsmile and say "I appreciate your concern but you aren't REALLY interested in all the gory details of my internal organs" and move on to another subject. This has come up lots at work because I have to redirect a lot of things that come to me from several different agencies and departments for the duration of my sick leave. I have been tempted when a guy actually asked WHY to tell him and watch him turn green. I think it is hilarious how just the mention of periods sends most men running.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register