A question for horse owners/riders | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A question for horse owners/riders A question for horse owners/riders

Unread 07-15-2002, 05:12 PM
A question for horse owners/riders

I had an LAVH/BSO and went for my 4 week post-op today. When I asked about saddling and riding my horses, the DR stated I could safely do so in 3 months. Doesn't that seem extreme? THREE MONTHS!!!! Is that 3 months from today, or from the surgery? In any case that seems so long, I almost cried right in front of the DR when he responded. Was anyone able to ride their horse sooner than that? What about short rides in the pasture? My saddle weighs 40 lbs, will that be a problem to lift over their backs? What can I expect? My babies give me sad brown eyes when I visit with them. I know they are bored and want to go out. In 4-5 months it will be too cold and wet to ride. It must be hormones, but I find this so depressing. Thanks for any replies.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2002, 06:21 PM

A friend of mine who had a hys last year had to wait 3 months after surgery to ride also. My instructor was given the ok 6 weeks after surgery, but she was riding several horses a day right up to her surgery, so she was in good physical shape. When I asked my doctor last week at my pre-op appointment, he had no idea what I was asking..... I compared the risk of riding to dirt biking, which includes the possibility of hitting the ground from a height at speed. I'll ask him again the morning of surgery and at the follow up visits...

I haven't ridden since about April, have been too exhausted from the heavy bleeding from my fibroid and the anemia. I had hoped to ride inbetween the ablation attempt I had on June 11th and my TAH date, but no energy, so no riding. My horse is a half hour away and I am only able to get out about once a week to see him! So I know how you feel. It will be November probably until I am strong enough to even think about riding. My saddle is about 25-30#, I figure when I can swing it up comfortably on a 17 HH horse, I should be strong enough to ride!

I think it will depend on what kind of physical condition you are in now. I have lots of folks, ridrs and non-riders, telling me to take it easy, better to wait an extra month than start up again too soon and then be unable to ride for even longer!

I will probably do a lot of ground work with my horse while I'm getting strong enough to ride. Good time to re-read all the training books on my shelf and rewatch a bunch of videos too. I know of an equestrian video rental service online if you are interested. http://users.dundee.net/shawlin/md.htm

Hang in there....
Unread 07-15-2002, 06:25 PM

Forty pounds! Yikes. OK, first, get a light saddle - borrow one, a synthetic one maybe.

I was back on my horse at 5 weeks, but that was bareback, climbing on the from trailer fender. I didn't have to lift a saddle, and didn't have to mount from the ground. Riding was pretty easy (walking and jogging), but even the littlest sideways spook took some abs to sit through.

I usually ride bareback - in fact, I *still* haven't lifted a saddle since my hyst - so I don't know how long that would take. But I'm sure you could find someone to help you with it.

I got cleared at 4 weeks for "anything I felt up to doing" - that's pretty quick - usually it's more like 6 weeks - even my doctor was surprised.

He has no experience with horses, so I asked him specifically if I fell off - "roughly like falling off a 6' wall onto hard ground" - would I disembowel myself or anything? He said no - that it would *hurt* but I wouldn't come apart at the seams.

Remember, there's not such thing as too much groundwork - and you can do that pretty soon. Clicker training is great fun - you could play with that, too. My guys *love* it, and you can teach them fun things like picking up your hat when it blows off, or standing next to a mounting block. Do it all "at liberty" so you don't get pulled off-balance by the lead rope.

I have to run (to a meeting about trails, of course), but e-mail me (via button below) if you want to chat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2002, 07:35 PM
From a non-rider

It's been interesting to read a number of messages from riders. I can attest, it's the pets that get us into the earliest troubles! They don't understand, and they really need us to reach down and pet them [cat!] or whatever. Anyway, what I really wanted to ask was, can horses be taken on walks? Wouldn't they enjoy going on a walk with their owners on the ground, along a horse trail? As I said, I am totally unknowledgeable about horses, but it seems like it would just be so companionable to have one pacing alongside as you took a leisurely walk!

Pellice
SAH/BSO
Unread 07-15-2002, 07:55 PM
Hand walking horses....

Yes they can be taken for walks! What a good question! Of course, you would have to be healed up enough to take being jerked about some if the horse spooked at something. Many horses have the courage of a rabbit when faced with something they are unsure of. A typical prey animal reaction. And with most horses weighing in at around 1200#, you'll go where they go if you aren't paying attention.

Actually, I have done quite a bit of hand walking the past year or so on days when my anemia just had me too tired to even try to tack up my horse.

Will probably be doing a lot more hand walking before the end of the year.

OK, we need a horse icon now......
Unread 07-16-2002, 01:43 AM

My horse has a muscle problem (EPSM) so can't be ridden much. I take her for walks around the neighborhood. She can be a handful though - fast, and easily excited, so she wasn't a good candidate for walking post-hyst. But she loves getting out, so as a fitness buddy she's pretty good company. When she wants to trot I can get behind her - hold the lead rope in one hand (for speed control) and her tail in the other hand (she pulls me along), and we can jog down the road like that. She's pretty fun.

We have two donkeys though, and one of them loves going for walks. She is calm and quiet, and doesn't spook. She's the first critter I took out, once the doctor said it was OK, at 4 weeks. She padded along in her slow donkey way, being a perfect lady, and didn't tug on the rope at all. Until we got home... Some donkeys like to chase and stomp small animals - this can make them good guardians for sheep, for instance - they go after the coyotes. But my donk decided to chase our cat (who got away clean, by the way), and I tried to stop her by running behind her and hanging onto the lead rope for all I was worth. Oh my gosh was I sore after that! Earned an extra day on the couch.
Unread 07-16-2002, 05:47 AM

Thank goodness for this post! My horse and I will be recovering at the same time. She got a leg injury a month ago and it's still healing. I haven't been able to ride her since Feb. because I haven't had the energy to deal with her. She's 22 but acts 6.
My saddle is synthetic but I don't think lifting it at 4 weeks will be a good idea. Have to get DH to do it if he'll let me ride. He has promised to "hog tie" me if he thinks I'm over doing it.
She's at a boarding stable just down the street from us so at least I'll be able to spoil her with carrots.
I agree we need a horse icon.
Hope we are all back to riding as soon as possible. It's the only way to go!
Unread 07-16-2002, 07:19 AM

My horse follows me around the pasture and is great company when I am checking on the fencing. I think it will be safer to walk in the pasure with my horse following me than trying to walk my dogs early in recovery. Glad someone started this thread. I think I'll listen to my body and go from there.
Unread 07-16-2002, 05:07 PM

These are all such wonderful replies and helped to take me out of my funk! There certainly are lots of things I can do with my horses besides ride them and now would be a good time to do it. Taking them for walks is out of the question, since they both think its such great fun to prance and spook. But, I can work on their ground manners, work them on the lunge line (though I find that boring) and, I can groom, groom, groom. Also, I like the idea of watching horse training videos, thanks for the link.

I had to laugh when I pictured Horsewoman chasing her donkey chasing a cat. Her donkey story leads me to believe my Arab must be 1/2 donkey. A few months ago she was bellowing, running with her head down, and stomping. Turns out she was chasing someone's PIG that had gotten into our pasture. I certainly didnt see anything threatening about the porker, but I had to run out there (this was before surgery) and rescue the dang thing. Turns out it was a pet that belonged to some people down the road a bit. I will never think of pigs as lazy again, that was some walk!

God bless you all for cheering me up. I will probably return to this thread daily to re-read it, it helps so much to know others are/were in the same "boat" or should I say "off the horse."

Unread 07-16-2002, 08:29 PM
And for somthing completely different....

If you are looking for something completely different to do on the ground, take a look at http://www.parelli.com. I ignored Parelli for years. Needed something to put my right brain horse in left brain mode (read calm) and rediscovered Parelli. I have done just a few sessions and am pretty amazed at the response of my horse. Usually I am pretty skeptical about these things. Lots of things to read and download at the website. It will give you something else to read online for awhile anyway.....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register