I took a stand | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I took a stand I took a stand

Unread 07-15-2002, 08:46 PM
I took a stand

Since you gals have given me a needed boost I became a bit more agressive today. My pain continues to get worse which makes me take more pain medication. I've been taking Ultram. I ran out today and called my doctor for more. Got the run around called three more times no response so I ended up driving over and waiting until someone wrote me a script. Pretty sad state really.

Also found out my insurance threw out the doctor's request for an MRI and Physical therapy. So I am suppose to call th em tomorrow to have it reinstated.

I just want to cry sometimes. It takes maybe what 60 seconds or less to write a script for someone so why does it have to take me all day to get something I need. There was just no way I was going to stay awake all night in pain because they were too lazy to call me back! :burning:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2002, 10:40 PM
I took a stand

Robbie:

(((((((hugs)))))))

I'm so sorry you had to go thru all that - it makes me so mad :burning: when I hear about this happening. Its happened to me a lot so I understand exactly how you feel. I dont know how your dr.'s office is, but mine can get really busy some times. Dont get me wrong- there is no excuse for them to let someone suffer. I know first-hand how hard it is to work in one of those offices because my sister works for an eye surgeon. There are days when she comes home SO whipped !!
It is pathetic though, like you said- it only takes a few seconds to write out an rx I had to have my dr. sign a leave of abscence form for my boss & get this - it is taking from 7-10 days just for him to sign a form :eyes: !!!! And then I had to pay them 15$ just so he would sign it !
About the rx thing- something that I have found helpful is to keep an eye on how low I am getting on my pain meds (& other meds). When it looks like I will only have enough for a few days then I call the dr. - since it usually takes a couple days (or more if it includes a weekend) for them to get me the rx. I dont know if that will be of any help to you but thought I'd mention it.
I'm glad you finally got your meds - I know how rough it can be when you are in brute pain & dont have anything for it.
Take care !

Susan
Unread 07-16-2002, 05:39 AM
I took a stand

((Robbie)),
Good for you for taking a stand and getting what you were after I'm sorry they gave you such a run-around tho Susan gave some good advice about calling a few days ahead, the only problem with that is when it is pain meds and they then think you are taking to many, hence the reason for calling early....lose-lose situation
I do hope the MRI will give them some insight as to what is going on! Good Luck as well with the PT...please keep us posted...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2002, 05:40 AM
I took a stand

{{{Robbie}}}
I'm sorry you had such a difficult time getting your meds refilled. I had one doctor who took 3 days to okay my refill for my stomach meds.

Like Susan suggested, try to keep an eye on those meds and when you're starting to run low go ahead and call it in. Another thing I do is I just call in the refill to the pharmacy and the pharmacy will take care of calling the doc to get an okay. If the doc doesn't okay it, than you can take it from there.

Hang in there sweetie
Unread 07-16-2002, 06:25 AM
I took a stand

Your right I should have started a few days ahead of time to get a renewal but I have run into the problem where I couldn't get a refill because there wasn't enough time gone by to renew it. I don't understand why they tell you to take so many pills so many times a day but only give you enough pills for a week and expect it to last you a month. I would like not to have to take the maximum dosage but sorry I need it. Ultram is not suppose to be a narcotic so I don't know why that is such a big deal anyway.
Unread 07-16-2002, 07:03 AM
I took a stand

Robbie,
I agree it is ridiculous the way they act about pain meds I was given Ultram once for headaches, only to find out I was allergic to it, I was given the worst time at the pharmacy!! All they could talk about was how highly addictive it was and to use it sparingly and blah,blah, blah!
Ultram is non-narcotic but is supposed to act like one in controlling pain. I think some Pharmacists are trying to play Dr too much. I do understand they probably have to deal with a lot of addicts and drug-seekers but we all shouldnt have to be treated as such!
More s for you Robbie....
Unread 07-16-2002, 09:20 AM
I took a stand

(((Robbie))) I'm so sorry you have to go through this merry-go-round just to get pain relief and tests

I know what you're going through where the meds are concerned: my DS is taking two types of meds that are controlled... so both Dr. and Pharmacy won't let us have some more until we've just about run out Problem is that, more often than not, we can't reach the dr or have him renew the scripts before we run out. Thankfully, the drugstore's been pretty good about giving us a few to see us through until the script is filled. Talk about a Catch 22 situation!!!!

I'm glad you were assertive and are standing up for yourself. These days, more and more, we have to take a pro-active stand where our health is concerned.

Wishing you luck with your MRI and PT... hopefully these will get you on that off-ramp we're all looking for.

Lots of s
Unread 07-16-2002, 10:19 AM
I Know What You Mean...

It does seem the pharmacy and/or my insurance company controls my pain meds. I also take ultram for pain and the pharmacy (or my insurance I am not sure which) only allows one pill per day. There are days when I need to take two pills just to be able to make it through the day. I guess I may end up having to pay out of pocket for my meds, but it's not a good feeling to be in pain and have to worry about waiting until a certain day of the month to get my meds filled. So I understand what you are saying about the waiting game. You were so good to go to the doctor's office and take a stand!! Good luck with the MRI and PT.

Take Care.
Unread 07-16-2002, 07:57 PM
I took a stand

I couldn't live on 1 pill a day. I take 2 pills at a time 2x a day. It helps me live otherwise I would be in too much pain. I feel bad for complaining really so many other people have it much worse than I do. I just wish everything wasn't so hard.

It helps so much to know other people are going through the same thing.
Unread 07-16-2002, 08:33 PM
I took a stand

(((Robbie))) Don't feel bad for complaining: pain is pain and it is life altering. You have a right to complain and can always find a or two from your sisters on this board.

I'm happy that the meds are at least managing your pain

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register