discouraged | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 07-16-2002, 05:43 AM
discouraged

I seem to be at a stand still with my recovery. After the surgery, everyday i would feel a bit better and I was able to do more. I am at 3 1/2 weeks and I feel like my body has said ok this is all you get. what is up with this??
also I am getting worried that in 2 weeks I won't be ready to return to work. will my body heal that much in the next 2 weeks? I work as a radiographer and lifting patients, films and heavy machines is a big part of my job. will I be able to go back? there is no light duty at the hospital.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2002, 06:20 AM
discouraged

s, sweetie!

Don't fret - there are many ups and downs in this recovery. Try to take it easy on yourself.

At about 3 weeks, the internal sutures begin to dissolve, leaving the tissue very tender and vulnerable. This is when I started feeling awful, feeling my surgery all over again... almost like I was going backwards in my recovery.

I took really good care of myself and rested a little more than I had anticipated I would need to, and I got through it, even though I had days when it really bummed me out.

I don't blame you for being concerned about returning to work; keep a mindful watch on how you're feeling, and discuss this with your DR when it comes time to ascertain a release date for returning to work. You may also consider having the DR spell out in writing what your abilities and restrictions for work might be.

Hang in there, sweetie! Take it easy; take it one day at a time.

s,
Unread 07-16-2002, 06:55 AM
Discouraged

DON'T WORRY, This is so typical and in fact I posted a thread on the same subject when I hit the 3 week mark. Everyday I would just get sore at the end of the day, which made sense, but at three weeks I started waking up sore and was so frustrated. I went on this site and found out that its very trypical at that time to start feeling pulls and pains we never felt before. This stopped for me at around 41/2 weeks. I was so glad to find out I wasn't just getting worse, there is a reason for it. I would be very hesitant about going back to work too soon if you have to lift any heavy equipment(or people)...please try to get a note or extention from your Dr. I'm just going back to work at 7 weeks and am only working at a computor. Best of luck to you and take care. (TAH/BSO)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2002, 07:57 AM
discouraged

Don't fret. I felt like hell after surgery for about 2 weeks. Then all of a sudden I felt great. Then like hell again at week 3. Week 4 was just so so. I didn't actually start to feel human again until the end of week 5. I am now 6 weeks post op and have just begun to get up and do things around the house. I think the ups and downs are your bodies way of talking to you. I was very discouraged and didn't think I'd ever feel like getting up off the couch. I think we are all really learning the importance of the old cliche' patience really is a virtue.

Hang in there!

Unread 07-16-2002, 08:04 AM
It is ok!!

I remember having a conversation just like your post with my daughters principal, who had a hyst 4 weeks before I did. I was miserable attending a family literacy night, with my infant in a stroller, aching and such,, just about 3 weeks post hyst..maybe 4.

She said to hang in there,,it all turns around dramatically between 5 and 6 weeks...and it did. I suddenly started to be human again, could carry the baby, seemed to be totally past the lingering medication effects,, so on.

Hang in there, and remember just how much has been done to your body! There will come a day when you actually don't think about your hysterectomy for a few days at a time, because you feel so good!

Staci
Unread 07-16-2002, 10:04 AM
discouraged

Hi,
WEll, I had a TAH/BSO 9 weeks ago, and I do remember that at about 3-4 weeks, I felt a little stalled in my recovery. I was feeling more twinges and pulling sensations andlittle pains as I became more active, but would still get really tired and obviously wasn't 100% yet. I think this is a common feeling among the women who write in to this site, so hang in there!

By week 5 I was doing much better and shortly thereafter was able to exercise. Now I am still bothered by fatigue at times, so I need to make sure I get plenty of rest. I hope you are able to.

I t hink you need to check with your DR about what your job requires and whether that will be okay for you to handle in a couple of weeks.

good luck!
Unread 07-16-2002, 10:18 AM
discouraged

Wow, it was so good to see your post today. Not that I am happy your are feeling discouraged but to know that I am not the only one to feel that way. My surgery was the same date as yours and I actually came online today to post about being depressed and feeling that I am not getting better, but actually getting worse. I guess this is all part of the healing though. Thanks for being here, this has helped me again.
Unread 07-16-2002, 10:38 AM
discouraged

THANK YOU ALL!!!!!
It is so wierd that are body does this to us. at least it appears to be predictable.
I stopped by at the hospital where I work ( my daughter had to have tests) anyways I talked to everyone about me being nervous about coming back, and was greated with a wonderful response. 1)we miss you but take all the time you need. 2) when you come back don't lift alone. 3) Your job will always be here.
busy morning time to nap now.
Thanks again everyone.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register