Anybody had endometrial ablation? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anybody had endometrial ablation? Anybody had endometrial ablation?

Unread 07-16-2002, 09:23 AM
Anybody had endometrial ablation?

I'm 47, have 2 orange-sized fibroids and heavy bleeding during normal-length periods (but not really any pain other than normal menstrual cramps). I was fairly anemic (hemoglobin 9.1) when they first diagnosed the fibroids in February, and have built my hgb back up by taking iron (Niferex 150) to 12.0 but now am starting to lose a bit more than I gain every month. I've been following diet recommendations from an integrative medicine consultant (an OB/Gyn doc), and using progesterone cream, but that doesn't seem to have helped any. I spoke with my regular gynecologist (at Kaiser) yesterday and he wants to do an endometrial biopsy on me to make sure the bleeding isn't coming from endometrial growth rather than the fibroids (I'd pretty much resigned myself to a hysterectomy) before making any surgery decisions. I'm wondering if anyone out there has had an endometrial ablation, as that sounds like it might be a far less drastic measure than hysterectomy. I've looked at all the links, but I'd love some personal feedback. Thanks! -- Debbie K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2002, 08:51 PM

I had endometrial ablation done in 1999 for excessive bleeding caused by fibroids. It worked very well for the first year - I had no bleeding, no pain. Then I gradually began to bleed and the bleeding would last for 2-3 weeks every month. My fibroids were already into the wall of the uterus so I knew that the ablation may only work for awhile. I had a LAVH this February (uterus & cervix removed, kept both ovaries). I have no regrets about either surgery.
Unread 07-21-2002, 05:08 PM
I've Been There....

I had endometrial ablation May 2001. Two months later, I was in the same boat that I was before the operation.

I have to admit that it is a lot easier to handle than a hysterectomy...but it was a very temporary fix for me.

I had an LAVH/RSO w/appendectomy on 1/8 of this year and I do not regret it at all!!

I would honestly have to say that if I had it to do over again, I would forget the ablation and go straight to the hyst. because I ended up there anyway.

Please feel free to email me if you would like to talk at [email protected] :email:

Endo_Chic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-22-2002, 05:33 AM
balloon ablation

Hi, Debbie;
In November of last year I had an ablation using Thermachoice Balloon Therapy. The cramping afterward was the most pain I've ever had in my life (including having two C-sections!) I believe that the only thing that kept me from bleeding through was the depo-provera shot I was given because as soon as the 13 weeks was up, I started bleeding again. Not as badly as I did before the ablation (but I had a d&c before the ablation) but it was still a nuisance. I'm scheduled for a TAH on 8/6. The bleeding has stopped, however. I'm in a quandry as to whether or not to cancel the surgery now. I did, however, have atypical cells on my last uterine biopsy. More decisions!!! My advice: skip the ablation.
Unread 07-22-2002, 10:56 AM

I didn't actually *have* an ablation. Once Doc got to looking around in there (after bowel prep. general anesthesia...) he found 2 small fibroids - one on the inside and one on the outside. We had planned the balloon type, which can't be done with fibroids in the way. (Other types could, like rollerball.) Anyway, I had a D&C instead, which didn't help at all, and six weeks later had a hyst. Pathology showed that it was one of my fibroids that was hemorraging.

I think an ablation can be a good choice for some women, but if you have 2 orange-sized fibroids my money would be on the *fibroids* being the cause of your troubles. And with an ablation, even if it helps at first, you're always left with wondering if/when you'll start having problems again. I'd skip it and go for the hyst.

But...

Remember, the only opinions you'll find here are from women for whom an ablation *did not* work. There may be plenty of women who are thrilled with their results, but they aren't hanging out at Hyster Sisters. To find them, try this site:
http://home.att.net/~endometrial_ablation/index.html
(Note - it has insipid music - if you are surfing at work, turn the sound down first.)
They are very nice folks, with discussion boards like we have here, and one section where women post their results month-by-month, then each year, so you can see how they are doing over time.

Good luck with your decision.
Unread 07-22-2002, 01:27 PM

Yes, if your fibroids are 'orange-sized', then an ablation isn't going to help you.
I guess I leaped before I looked.
Unread 01-10-2003, 12:42 AM
Response to private message from dkramer

Hi Debbie,
I don't know if my response to your message went out or not. I'm having problems with my ISP and probably hit stop and reload about 10 times to try to send the message. Anyway, I will repeat it here just in case. Just remember that everyone is different. I didn't have fibroids having those removed may but more stress on your system. Be sure to check with your doctor, too.

Thsi is what I tried to send you.

Hi Debbie,
I was feeling alright by the second day. The cramping was mild, nothing compared to what I've been going through every month. I only took tylenol once that day and haven't taken any at all since the fourth day. I didn't go out of the house for the first 3 days (it was snowing on and off) but when I went to the grocery store on the fourth day to stock up (snow was worse) I started feeling a little weak after I had been in the store too long. Of course I ran into several women I knew and stood too long talking-they wanted all the details. Anyway, just take every opportunity to sit down between the times that you aren't required to be on your feet during the rehearsal. Take a good nap before you go! Let me know how things go.

Did you know that there is an endometrial ablation website? It's not as active as this one but there's a lot of info there. Here's the address for the discussion forum part:
<http://pub76.ezboard.com/fendometria...iscussionforum>
I hope this helps.

Darlene in VA
Unread 01-10-2003, 07:16 AM

I had an ablation 5 years ago and it worked fine for 3 years, then I started to bleed again but lighter than before. I then started Depo Provera, which helped with the bleeding and the endometriosis pain, but unfortunately I'm now having pain again and the bleeding, so headed for the hysterectomy. However had a good few years in the clear
Unread 01-15-2003, 01:36 PM

Once I started having trouble with my periods I saw my first DR here in SC and she sent me to her partner who performed Thermachoice balloon procedures....but first I had to have an ultrasound...during which we discovered the three fibroids that started all this trouble...or so we thought....the new DR I saw told me that I was not a candidate for any procedure to "burn" the lining of my uterus since it was filled with fibroids...to have any of those done you need a smooth lining so they can get the whole surface...other wise the problems come back....my choices were TVH or live with the symptoms...Did not take long to make that decision....off to the OR we went and haven't looked back since ......Once she removed my uterus, she told me that I also had adenomyosis which you usually don't see until after they remove the uterus...but it makes a whole lot of trouble with your periods....flooding, clotty periods....and now they are gone FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good luck with your decisions. Feel free to email me if you have any questions or need to vent....take care and God Bless!!

lilly
Unread 01-15-2003, 01:47 PM

Hi,
I just found this forum and wish I had sooner. I just had a Thermal ablation on the 13th. The cramps were unbelievable. I do hope it works for me but am very doubtful.
Here is a bit of my history. I. Up until Dec I had had normal periods with normal flow. All of a sudden 2 days after ending my period and 2 dasy after turning 40, I started this massive flowing almost to the point of hemmorage like bleeding. After a week the Doctor finally seen me. (They never seem to take heavy bleeding seriously) They gave me the depo shot in the office . For some reason that about made me pass out. I ended up being taken by ambulance to the ER that day. Blood count 8.9 They released me thinking the depo shot had worked. 24 hours later 'Bam' right back to it, and back to the ER. So I had been on a drug called megace to stop the bleeding. After a week or so began to build up a resistance to it. Meanwhile my blood count has been down in the 8's and even into the 7's. I was gonna just get the hyst but was talked out of it thinking I should try some alternative things 1st since this did come on so suddenly. My Doctor does not have a reason for this happenining to me. Her and her collieges believe I should have a hyst due to the blood count. This is so crazy to me. I would just like to know why so suddenly I am like this. I sure hope this works and from what you ladies say I better take it easy for more than just few days huh? Thanks for listening.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register