Its Deedee "AGAIN",Any "GEL GALS" In The House?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Its Deedee "AGAIN",Any "GEL GALS" In The House?? Its Deedee "AGAIN",Any "GEL GALS" In The House??

Unread 07-19-2002, 12:18 AM
Its Deedee "AGAIN",Any "GEL GALS" In The House??

Yes Im the posting queen tonite!
But Im gonna call my dr,need to make a decision.I just want to ask him if I can stop the capsules.I really think they are binding my Thyroid Meds.I feel crappy.
Ive used creams many years.Yet found waiting,waiting,& waiting for them to sink in was frustrating.Especially when one has to do this TWICE A DAY FOR LIFE! :hair:
I read hear in my "NATURAL HORMONE BALANCE for women" book by UZZI REISS mentioned the absorption rate by a gel is very quick.He prefers them over creams.His #1 choice.This is a man who has been on TV and is a genious with balancing women.
Any of you hystersisters have any feedback on Gels Id love to hear from ya'! Gel Gals...Im too Funny
Love,
Deedee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2002, 08:27 AM

i use bi est in a non alcohol gel and i love it. i use prog in a cream...i tried the n/a gel for prog and it was awful...no absorption. good luck.
Unread 07-19-2002, 10:18 AM

Hi Deedee

I have been using oestodiol gel (European med called oestrogel) for 2 1/2 weeks now. I have one squirt on each upper arm each day which rubs in very quickly. It is fab, just put it on after my shower, like all the other potions! My skin is sooooo soft! And more importantly my hormone levels are perfect ( I was tested on Tuesday!)

Happy deciding!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2002, 10:50 AM

Hi Deedee! Gel gal here I am using biest in a hypogel. I also take thyroid meds. (levoxyl and cytomel) When I first started the biest I too was on capsules. My endocrinologist switched me to the gels (well actually any transdermal method was fine with him) because he feels that hormones were not meant to be digested. I was VERY reluctant at first but agreed and we found that the gels absorbed best for me so thats what I started with. I noticed immediately that I got alot more of the hormone with the same dose I was on taking the capsules. I would have had to take a much higher dose on the capsules to get the amount of hormone I get on the gels.
I do still keep my thyroid meds and hormones seperate. I take my thyroid meds first thing when I wake up and my hormones at night right before bed. This has worked out well for me and I dont seem to be having any problems with them interacting.
I would certainly ask for the gels. Once established on the gels you should be able to go to once a day dosing and not have the highs and lows that some get on the capsules. (me) Also, there are several gels, so if one doesnt work right then you can always try another and since you sound like me with the absorbtion problems, you can also ask your pharmacist to put your hormones in a lotion of your choice. Thats what I did with my progesterone until I found out that my pharmacist kept oil of olay in stock and sometimes used it to do the compounds. It absorbs well for me so thats what we put my progesterone in.
The nice thing about compounders is their willingness to work with us trouble children Best of luck S
Unread 07-19-2002, 12:35 PM

Thanks All,
So Im getting that progesterone is not good in a gel?Why?
Not on progesterone yet due to weak Adrenals.
Curious Mind wants to know
Deedee.. Oh Brenda is Hypogel the non-alcoholic one?
Unread 07-19-2002, 02:00 PM

Deedee there is no problem putting progesterone in a PLO gel. I am not sure if the non alcoholic gel is hypogel or not. Hypo-allergenic gel is made of mostly water with a little bit of cellulose to keep the hormone and water mixed properly and to keep it from seperating. On a script of 2.5mg of estrogen, each vial would have 25mg of estrogen in it. On a script of 50mg of progesterone per day the vial would have 500mg of hormone in it. Its much harder to keep that 500mg mixed and keep it from separating since its mostly water holding it together. I had it seperate a few times on me so we went to a lotion instead of the gel for my progesterone. PLO gels have more ingredients and binders in them so they hold the hormones together much easier.
I would just ask your pharmacist, I'm sure he knows whether the non alcoholic gel is a plo or a hypogel.
Unread 07-19-2002, 02:25 PM

Hi Brenda,
Oh I see....
Well Im waiting for my drs call.....I Im a bit wrecked on whether to ask him for the gel with or without alcohol.
I know the one w/alcohol absorbs & works immediately.Which Im sensitive and need to START SLOW.
DeeDee
Does it matter w/wout alcohol???
Unread 07-19-2002, 02:33 PM

Deedee, I also take Armour Thyroid 60mg (there aren't many of us, it seems!) and gained weight steadily for the short time I was on Estratest HS. Although I stopped the Estratest HS, I have been unable to lose the 10 pounds even though I work out daily. My doctor was aware of the possibility of estrogen blocking the Armour Thyroid, but when my thyroid blood tests come back fine, he said to just keep exercising. I've found a compounding pharmacy near my work and plan to see what they think.
Unread 07-19-2002, 02:48 PM
Estrogen Scare,Scared My Great Dr!! Oh No! =0

Hi Sisters,
Well my dr called me back...told him I didnt feel good on Tri-est capsules can I try gel.He said after news he does not want to prescribe!!!!!! Yet I begged him for bi-est gel...he said for now...
but may have to switch to alternative!!!! NO!!!!!He is the only Dr in 6 years that has been great! I told him it was Synthetics....he said well thats true...but.....
He mentioned a natural like ESTREFEM w/ black cohosh.etc....
No!!!!!!Its not the same!!!!
What other dr will treat my Adrenal/Pituitary/Hypothalamus with Glandulars????I am Soooooo devasted.
He even said maybe just Estriol...No Estradiol & Estrone!!In the future!
The study was done on 60 somethin year old going through natural menopause with ovaries!!!!!And on Synthetics!!
Whats A Hystersister to do??????
Gotta Go To Work!!!!!!
:hair: Deedee
Unread 07-19-2002, 04:26 PM

Deedee have you considered an endocrinologist? Mine has been such a blessing. It's an should you find a need to change. S

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register