I think you guys might understand | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I think you guys might understand I think you guys might understand

Unread 07-22-2002, 08:18 AM
I think you guys might understand

My onc/gyn scheduled me for a complete hyster (on Aug 9th) based on my 8cm sepeated cyst and a slightly elevated ca125 test (61.2) and the fact my periods have been horrendous for the last decade.
I had called his office last week asking if they will do a cat scan. The doctor on vacation, nurse said its what you asked for, and thats what he will do no matter what.
I hve mixed feelings about having TAH (whihc i know I don't need to explain to you guys, you laready know.)
I know the tests done prove I have cancer and even if I don't I might want them to take ita ll anyway cause I am 46 and its really interfered with my life.
BUT, (its a big but). I have a mega colon which has alos caused me problems over the years. i have finnally got that under control. I know if my endo layer rests on my colon they sill not be able to do a small resection they will have to take the whole thing. (Not good) BUT if they don't see any cancer, and can avoid going near the colon (knowing there was none shown)... Well lets just say I would hate to see them try to take everything and beccause they were just being preventative make me loose my colon.
I don't know if that made sense to anyone, but it was real therapy for me writing it. My aggravation comes from the fact they didn't do a cat scan or take any other peeks inside me outside of the pelvic sono. (endo vaginal one)
I searched thru completed posts and could find no one with a mega colon. Anybody have any advice or info about loosing the colon I'm listening! This dr is the only onc gyno around and he is the best they say.
keggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-22-2002, 12:15 PM
I think you guys might understand

s Kathy

Sorry, but now I am getting a little confused! Did you say you had tests done that prove you have cancer? Nothing is known for certain until the actual biopsy during surgery. Did the doc agree to the CAT scan?
I am an RN but I am unfamiliar with the term mega colon. Hopefully your cyst will be benign and your colon will remain untouched. Even if the cyst should be cancerous, colons are not always involved. My own was not.
It sounds like you have decided to go ahead with the complete hysterectomy even if the cyst is benign. I recall you were undecided about that.
Kathy, I really think you need to have another appt with your gyn onc. He would be able to help answer so many of your questions.
Also if need be, go see a second gyn onc. This is so important for your peace of mind.
You are in my thoughts and prayers.

karenann
Unread 07-22-2002, 12:30 PM
Agreeing with Karenann

I've heard the term megacolon but am not sure what exactly it is--I do know two years ago when I had gastroenteritis the doctor wouldn't give me say Imodium because he didn't want to risk it--is it like a shutdown? Anyway, a second opinion or second conference with this gyn/onc makes sense. He/she should know about megacolon and your concerns. Also, there may be other sisters here who've had resections or colons removed and you can check the search area. You can also check reliable internet sites (such as Laurus Health, which my hospital connects to, WebMD, etc.--but stick to reliable ones) on colon removal in case you want to be prepared--but first, I'd get another conference with the gyn/onc. Karenann is right--they won't know for sure until they're inside you that it is cancer. This could be pointing in that direction--just to veer off at the last moment. Your gyn/onc (how far would you have to travel for a second one) holds the key to this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-22-2002, 06:02 PM
sorry

I should really re -read what I type. that was a typo and pretty bad wording. Not that this post will be better. I was saying the tests don't prove I have cancer and even if I don't have cancer I might be better off having everything taken out, at least thats what my doctor has said.
Your right, I wasn't comfortable with the idea. When I called the office they said it was my idea, and I said no its not, and they said well he is still taking everything out anyway.
I guess I'm thinking if I have to have my right ovary out, cause thats where the cyst is, I would hate to risk leaving the left one to fail in the future. The left one burns now and then.
Once both ovaries are gone menopause is here, so I figure why risk having periods because I have the rest of the equipment or the possibility of something else going wrong.
I compared my sonogram to another sonogram today they did four years ago. Then I had a 5cm simple cyst (that the doctor didn't tell me about). My uterus is almost the same size (and its a pretty normal size) I wish I could think straight about this.
My megacolon is very unusual. Doctors always tell me they have never seen one like it (once they see it) It is really huge and rubs against other organs. It twists and has a large pocket in it as well. I told my onc about it, but he really didn't seem to understand the "enormity" of it. (LOL) I guess thats one reason I really want the cAT I think he may see something that may concern him.
Keggy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register