The Joys Continue--or, Any Port in a Storm? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The Joys Continue--or, Any Port in a Storm? The Joys Continue--or, Any Port in a Storm?

Unread 07-22-2002, 12:22 PM
The Joys Continue--or, Any Port in a Storm?

Went in to the oncology clinic lab today for my CA125 and other regular cancer blood testing. It wasn't the regular phlebotomist and I thought, "oh, oh" and I was right--he could not get the port to work. After a couple painful tries, he got (at my request) one of the oncology nurses who got the needle in again (after another painful try) and got it flushed out--no blood return--again! Wound up using a vein in the arm. I said no, I am not doing that TPA stuff again to try to unclot this because I got sick afterward--maybe a coincidence--and to me this port is a piece of junk. Well, they can use it as it takes stuff in... and I know the doctor will not let me have it out... By the time I left, I'm in tears and I think the phlebotomist hopes he never has to work there again. Now just have to wait for the news on Friday--I am predicting another doubling at least to 76 or more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-22-2002, 12:45 PM

I can't say anything, other than I'm praying for you, and ging you.

Blessings,

Tess
Unread 07-22-2002, 01:27 PM

s Ellen

You poor baby!!!! What else could possibly go wrong? When it rains on you it hurricanes! And in spite of it all, your great style comes through. And as busy and bombarded as you are by life right about now, you are still here on this site, giving out the sanest, wisest, most caring advice. You are truly a remarkable woman who has learned that giving back helps lessen your own burden. We need more Margaret321s in this world.
There will be a place in your new home for your computer??? Right????
CC will always be a port for you!!!!

s karenann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-22-2002, 01:47 PM
{{{{{Eleen}}}}}

Hey Sweetie,
I'm sorry you had all that trouble today!! Sometimes it looks like it is a never ending story of sticks and flushings, and pokeing and prodding doesn't it? You are one tough cookie Ellen and you have a style all your own. I think you're REMARKABLE!! Listen, you come here everyday and offer your support to all of us. You always have a hug and a prayer for any who need it and you do all of that for us while you're going through so much yourself. I just want you to know, that you're in my heart, my thoughts and my prayers! I'm expecting those numbers to be a miracle Ellen! Praying for a drop !!

Hugs and love, and prayers ,
In Christ,
Susan
Unread 07-22-2002, 02:28 PM
Karenann and Computer

I would not move to anyplace that did not allow "Hewpee" to move with me. When it's nice, I call my Hewlett Packard "Hewpee" and he'll come. They also have one there for all residents--so if "Hewpee" isn't well, at 3 a.m. I'll probably be out using that one. Now if the appointment doesn't get changed again, I'm set. It went from 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Guess I can wait that long? Oh--and I'm mailing in a check to become a real jewel! "Bout time!
Unread 07-22-2002, 02:28 PM

Dear sweet ((((Ellen)))))
You sooooo deserve a break from all this, and all the doctor appts, and tests!
I am so sorry you had such a rough day at your clinic! I as well am praying very hard for you that the numbers are on the way down.
As the others have said, you indeed are a very strong, courageous, wonderful woman with a heart of gold. You have such kind, calming words for everyone here, so lean on us and let us all be here for you in whatever way we can be.
Lots of love, and huge hugs!!
M. xoxoxo
Unread 07-22-2002, 03:06 PM

DEAR MARGARET,
POOR LADY, I AM REALLY PRAYING THAT ALL THIS WILL CHANGE FOR THE BETTER. THERE WILL BE GOOD NEWS AND BETTER LUCK FOR YOU SOON!! THERE HAS TO BE!!!
YOU ARE INDEED ONE VERY STRONG LADY I MUST SAY.

ALL THIS WILL PASS IN TIME, YOU HAVE BEEN THROUGH SO MUCH THAT I DON'T THINK I COULD EVER DO ALL THAT.
I AM SENDING POSITIVE THOUGHTS AND SPECIAL PRAYERS FOR YOU.
Unread 07-22-2002, 04:33 PM

Hi Margaret --

I'm sorry for all of the trouble that you are going through and that I haven't talked to you lately. It really is a bummer when the phlebotomists can't get to the vein, especially when you have a port. Meriter's phlebotomists sound about as bad as the ones at UW. Whenever I'm in the lab, I watch the phlebotomists and think "Oh, no, I hope I don't get that one again (the one that had to stick me three times)."

I know you're probably tired of hearing this, but the Lord does not give us more than we can handle, and it sounds like you are handling what He is giving you pretty well. It also sounds like we will be hearing about our CA-125 results about the same time (I go in on Monday to get it drawn and will get the results on Tuesday which is chemo day - yuck). I know that you have the strength to get through all of this -- hang in there -- we're praying for you.

Much love,

Cyndy
Unread 07-22-2002, 06:24 PM

You would think that the least the medical community could do for you is to give you a port that would work or give you a blood tech that could do his or her job in the most comfortable way possible. You are always in my prayers.
Unread 07-22-2002, 07:03 PM

I am so sorry to hear about your trying day... I try so hard to believe that god doesn't give you anymore than you can handle... but sometimes I think he REALLY pushes it to prove to us that we can endure....

In the short time I've been on this list, I've really drawn to your postings... and care about you... I was just wondering today, if your anxiety has lessened about the pending move... and I said a prayer for you.... then I logged on to hear about your difficult day... I'm SO sorry...

I do believe it is always darkest before the dawn..... and your light is a coming... it has to be! You are too important for all of us, you are an inspiration, and I truly wish you weren't having to going thru this crap.

Hugs & Prayers for Friday..... and all the days in between
Donna

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register