Any other smokers | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any other smokers Any other smokers

Unread 07-22-2002, 02:48 PM
Any other smokers

Yes I know how bad smoking is for you...but!
Does any one esle out there smoke? I do & I know I shouldn't, but I do anyway!!!!! Plus it seems the closer to surgery I get, the more I smoke!! Also am worried how I will manage in the hospital those few days. I am going to ask my doc about using the patch while I'm there to help that. Has anyone esle had that experience?
WebDeb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-22-2002, 02:50 PM
me too

Hi WebDeb:

Thanks for this post. I have wondered the same thing but have been too chicken to ask. Will be interested in what others have to say. I am gonna ask about the patch tomorrow. My pre - op is then.

Elizabeth
TAH/BSO, 7/25 (ONLY # MORE DAYS)
Unread 07-22-2002, 02:57 PM
Smoking

Ok ladies here goes. Yes smoking is bad bad!! LOL BUT when I found out I had to have surgery.....well lets just say the lighter was never cold LOL. The more I worried the more I smoked. I was told by my surgeon that if I could not stop then to REALLY try to cut it down. I did try and managed to cut back abit. Touch wood I was ok, but my surgeon did tell me I did cough abit. I was so sleepy for the first couple of days that actually smoking was the last thing I felt like. Strange but true LOL. After day three I did roam the corridors and found an escape route that others before me had found and lit up. Oh be careful the head rush was not good after having that first puff. I only had a few puffs and put it out. I know I should have perservered as I think I could have maybe given giving up a decent try.
Yes Yes ask about the patch, I did not have that option and have heard of others who have worn a patch and found it really helpful. Please from one smoker to others, do TRY cutting down. Good luck for your surgeries Hugs Vicki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-22-2002, 04:29 PM
Smoking

I have been a DEDICATED smoker for about 12 yrs.... smoking between 2 and 3 packs per day. When I had my hyst on July 9th, I did NOT want a cig the 3 days I was in the hospital. I felt bad and it was that farthest thing from my mind. When I got out, I tried to smoke a few times but it just tasted REALLY bad and I got tired of trying to MAKE MYSELF enjoy it, so I quit. After I started feeling better, I've noticed the last few days, my cigarette cravings have returned.

What is unbelievable to me is that I haven't had to cough during my recovery. I did with my c-section 5 yrs ago and even got really sick with pneumonia... but this time, I've only coughed, like, 10 times. Amazing.

One thing I've noticed since I quit smoking is that ALL of my wheezing is GONE. I wheezed constantly and had an almost constant "flemmy" cough. GONE! I'm amazed at how well I can breathe and at church Sunday, I actually made it all the way through Praise and Worship without having to stop and get my breath the way I always do!

I didn't cut down at all before my hyst, I was too nervous. The closer I got , the more I smoked. Goodluck with your surgery and I'm sure you'll do fine. Ask your doc for a patch at the hospital - they really understand the whole withdrawel thing and they want you to be as comfortable as possible!

Bekki
Unread 07-22-2002, 05:21 PM
I smoke....

...and I have one of those inhalers for when I'm places where I can't smoke (like long plane rides) so I'm thinking that I'll take that with me if I want one before I'm ready to downstairs and outside.

Also, when I had my pre-op I talked to gyn in about it because my pre-op instructions said not to smoke after midnight the night before (tell me, how is that possible???). I asked him why and he said becuase of the smoke and nicotine constricting the vessels in the lungs and then it's harder on you during surgery, plus you tend to cough more afterwards. I told him about the inhaler and he said if I have to do something, that would be better than a cigarette.

Good topic! There's my worth!

Better and better,

Gillian
Unread 07-22-2002, 05:31 PM
Any other smokers

Hi~~Aug.1st will be 4 years since I've had a cigarette. Anyway, my Sister in law has had tons of hospital stays and they always give her the patch. Don't hesitate to ask for one. I don't think you'll get any lectures...surprisingly a lot of hospital personnel are smokers too. Good luck to you...

Darla
TAH/BSO
Unread 07-22-2002, 05:36 PM
me too!!!!

i am a smoker and i smoked up until i went in the hospital that morning. the first day i didnt even think about a cig. by the second day i wanted one. the dr offered me a patch but i didnt take it. late on the second day got my dbf to walk me outside and i smoked maybe half one. was lightheaded but it was enough to get me through the rest of the stay. wish i could say i quit but i havent but have cut way down. good luck
Unread 07-22-2002, 05:41 PM
Smoking got me out of Bed

Hi,

I'm a smoker. The day after surgery when they took all the tubes and stuff off me the first thing I did was head downstairs and outside to smoke. The nurses already had a wheelchair ready for me the first time. They knew I wanted to go out. After the first time I walked down. Well took the elevator anyway (giggle). Had a wheelchair handy if I needed it. You do get real lightheaded so make sure you are sitting down if you go out at hospital.

Doctor said the fact that I was up and about so much helped speed my recovery even though it was for a bad habit. Better than sitting in your bed all day like the girl down the hall did. She went in the day before me and was staying at least 2 more days when I left.

The nurses did offer a patch while I was confined to bed but I don't like those things. They don't really help me all that much.

Good luck,

Tracy
Unread 07-22-2002, 05:43 PM
I'm so glad someone asked this!

This is one question I have been worried about. I'm not TOO bad a smoker - less than 1/2 pack a day. But when I finally scheduled surgery I decided to try to stop or cut down. I did OK the first few days (down to 3 of my DH' smokes, which I HATE!). My thinking was that if I didn't buy my brand, I wouldn't smoke his. Worked a bit, but then when I found I was tolerating his, I decided that if I was going to smoke, at least I should smoke the ones I like.

Anyway, I bought my own again and have been really good keeping it down. I'm at about 5-6 a day. I'm not worried about wanting any in the castle. Heck, I go all day at work without having one or even thinking about one. It's AM when reading the paper or PM when having a brew or watching a ballgame that I really crave one.

The part that worries me is going under anesthesia while being a smoker. For some reason I feel like a horrible person just because I smoke - an outlaw! When I had my D&C in April I told the A man I smoked about 3 a day (which wasn't exactly true) because I felt so guilty. I will tell him this time what my actual dosage is - even if it makes me feel embarrassed.

Glad to know there are more of ME out there...
Unread 07-22-2002, 05:43 PM
Any other smokers

Well, I'm a smoker too, Webdeb. Not alot of empathy for us these days, is there?!

At my pre-op, I got a brochure that said stopping smoking 6 weeks before surgery was optimal, but that the benefits of not smoking, even 12 hours prior to surgery, still had significant worth. I tried to do that, but I have to admit that I snagged a puff at about 5 a.m. (surgery at 9:30).

If I had it to do over again, I would have made sure that I had a nicotine patch slapped on me as soon as possible after surgery. I got really antsy post-op before I was disentangled from the various and sundry tubes and leggings (that was at least 48 hours after getting to my room), and I was really out of sorts. One evening, I think it was on day 3, I actually ended up wheeling myself down a winding corridor in a wheelchair, to the elevators, down and out a really long way to the outdoor smoking area (not to mention, back again) just to have a cigarette. Not great for a healing abdomen or a brain only recently free of morphine! (The next time, I walked the wheelchair down, sat in it until I'd finished my cigarette and knew that I wasn't dizzy, and then used it like a walker to make my way back to my room.)

It's an addiction. I'd thought that, because in the past I haven't smoked when I was ill, I'd be fine in the castle. That was true for the first day and a half, but after that, I was on a mission.
I think that I probably had only 5 cigarettes in total while I was there, (Tues a.m. til Fri noon) and all but 2 of those times, friends and family were available to wheel me down. I really think that a patch would have lessened my need to take the chances I did the other two times.

I encourage you to talk to your doctor about having something available if you find that you need it. If you don't - great. And if you can use this time to quit, even better.

I think that alot of sisters may be reluctant to post about this, because they know it's unhealthy ...yada yada yada. You've probably helped alot of them in knowing that they're not alone with these concerns. Please do make sure that your doc and A wo/man know the clear picture about your intake though, okay?

Cecee

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register