MRI with Gadolinium injection | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

MRI with Gadolinium injection MRI with Gadolinium injection

Unread 07-22-2002, 09:11 PM
MRI with Gadolinium injection

Hi,
Does anyone know why they inject you with Gadolinium, what it is and if there are any options? When I had an MRI on my femur they didn't use this, but for my pelvic and abdomin they want it.

Thank you.

Judy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2002, 06:09 AM

Hi --

I work in a Radiology department typing reports all day, so I think I have the answer for your question. When they want to use gadolinium (or any other type of contrast), they want to be able to see the solid organs clearly -- the contrast helps to differentiate the solid organs from the other parts of the abdomen, pelvis, or whatever. The reason you did not have contrast for your tibia is because it is a bone and there really is nothing to differentiate from the bone and contrast does not penetrate bone. Receiving contrast is very common for CTs and MRIs of the chest, abdomen, pelvis, head, etc. Sometimes they take pictures before and after injecting you with the contrast to see the differences. It is VERY IMPORTANT to tell your doctor or technician if you have had a reaction to gadolinium, as there are other types of contrast that can be used.

I hope this makes some sense -- if you have any other questions, just ask!

Love,

Cyndy
Unread 07-23-2002, 08:34 AM

Cyndy,
Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my question. That is interesting about the difference between bone and solid organs.

Do you happen to know about PET Scans? One thing I read said they are superior to MRIs and CT scans for certain areas. One area was cervical.

I am being diagnosed for cancer of the endometrium.

Thank you again!

Judy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2002, 12:12 PM

Hi--

What I understand about PET scans is that they inject you with radioactive material (I forget what it is called) and then they check for any uptake (areas where the radioactive material may have accumulated). If there are any areas detected where there is uptake, that is where cancer may have accumulated. In a few instances, a PET scan can pick up such things as fractures, so they find things that are other than cancer, but they are pretty reliable.

Love,

Cyndy
Unread 07-23-2002, 11:25 PM

Ohhh. I see. Thank you very much Cyndy!

Judy
Unread 07-28-2002, 05:39 PM

Judy -

I don't know if you have already had your MRI but I just had an MRI with gadolinium (sp?) to check for invasive endometrial CA. They did the MRI without the contrast agent first then injected the agent and did it again. It is one of the longest MRIs they do (total of about 45-50 minutes) but you go in feet first so at least for me it wasn't so bad as my head was almost out of the machine (and I'm short - 5'4"). They also injected me with glucagon - it slows the bowels and gives them clearer pictures. I have lots of allergies so I was concerned about having a reaction to the contrast agent but I didn't have any trouble (and it didn't hurt when it was being injected). Good luck to you!
Unread 07-28-2002, 09:12 PM

Hi Legume,
I am so glad you did not have a reaction to the gadolinium(sp?) used during your MRI. I chickened out and did it without. Still the MRI took 2 hours! Do you believe it? I had to take Xanax just to get in the machine. Thankfully my husband was there.

They found a mass in the uterous. I will have a D & C this Wednesday so will know more once the pathologist gets a look at it.

I wish you well!

Judy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register