Anxiety and sleeplessness | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anxiety and sleeplessness Anxiety and sleeplessness

Unread 07-22-2002, 10:42 PM
Anxiety and sleeplessness

I am 8 weeks out from a TAH/bso and have had a very uneventful recovery. Surgery went great and have been treated like a queen at home. Within the last few weeks, I have started having trouble sleeping and feel very anxious for no reason. Could it be my HRT? I am on Premarin .9mg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2002, 03:35 AM

Hi Pam,

I'm sorry that you've started feeling this way, especially since your recovery has gone so well. I started Premarin 0.625 the day after my surgery, and didn't experience anxiety or sleeplessness, except for the first few weeks post-op.

I think you should definitely discuss this with your Dr. Perhaps you can try a different HRT to see if that is indeed the culprit. Or maybe some anti-anxiety medication may be in order for a short while.

I'd also like to suggest that you check out the Hormone Jungle forum here at HS (you can get there by using the Forum Jump at the bottom of the page and choosing Hormone Jungle from the drop down menu). The gals in the Jungle know a lot about various HRTs and may be able to give you more suggestions.

Best wishes and s
Unread 07-23-2002, 06:34 AM

Hi Pam,

We had our surgery the same day. I also had some sleeplessness through weeks 2, 3, and 4. It got so bad I had to call for sleeping pills for a few days. But that was while I was starting on hrt and I am sure that mine was hormonal.

Definatly wander over to the hormone jungle Those ladies have so much information on the symptoms of too much estrogen and too little. They are also great support for problems.

Good luck. I know how miserable it is to lay awake at night!!!!

Caren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2002, 04:26 PM
Depression,sleeplessness,anxiety

I had a total abdominal hyst.on July 5th. I was on Climara 1.0 for week,I felt fine. Week 2 came and I got panic attacks,couldn't sleep and am suicidal. The doctor thinks that the patch isn't working and today changed me over to pills. Physically I feel great. No pain at all. Is any one else crying all the time? I am 41 years old and can't function. I was not prepared for it to be this bad. I have one friend who has been keeping me company and the rest think I am doing it on purpose. The doctor told me to wait 2 days if the pills don't help I will probably have to try antidepressents. I don't care what I have to take I just want my life back.
Unread 07-23-2002, 05:22 PM

smltd27

I am sooo sorry you are feeling so bad. I had my hyst 9 wks ago. They waited 2 weeks before they put me on vivelle patch for hrt. About 5 days later all I wanted to do was cry. I didn't get dressed for days. I had aches that I hadn't had before and felt really depressed. After about 4 days it started to get better. Slowly I started to feel half way decent, but not great. At my 6 wk visit we increased the dose on the hrt and things have gotten MUCH better.

I also at about the time things started getting better, read the info on supplements in the hormone jungle: http://www.hormonejungle.com/supp.php
I started taking a B complex and a good multi vit for women. I will always believe that these helped as it was then I started feeling better. Maybe it was just that the hrt kicked in at the same time, but I will always take my vits.

Please keep your friend close. Bless her for being there for you!!! Please keep in touch with your Dr. If it takes the antidepressants to get you over this hump, that is what they were made for. Hopefully once you get the hrt regulated, everything will fall back into place.

I hope that you are much better very soon. Please let us know how you are doing. There are lots of ladies here that can give you extra support and love.

Caren
Unread 07-23-2002, 05:37 PM

Dear smltd27,

I wish that I could give you these hugs in person. Please follow Caren's very good advice about not being afraid to take the anti-depressants if you need them.

A Hysterectomy is major surgery, and it can take time to bounce back, especially when your hormones may have to be adjusted to find the right dosage and type for you to take.

Please keep us posted on how you are feeling. We all understand and care about you.

's

Karen
Unread 07-23-2002, 06:00 PM

Oh smltd27 - I just wanted to tell you that we're here for you and that often, panic attacks are your brain's way of connecting your fears and anxieties to your body. That happens so that you don't ignore the very real feelings you're experiencing.

They need to be acknowledged and dealt with, and it sounds like you're doing alot about that by looking for help from your doc and the good friend who is by your side.

Anyone who dismisses your feelings or who gives them other ridiculous motives, is not worth your energy - especially, not now while you are working so hard to heal.

Hold on to us and all the support people in your life who envision your new wellness.

You wrote of being suicidal, and if you are considering ways to end your life, it is critical that you go to the ER or call your doctor's on call number and get attention right now. If this is about hormonal imbalance, you have every right to find relief from those desperate and lonely feelings immediately.

Please let us know how you're doing, smltd27. Your sisters care so much about you.

Cecee
Unread 07-23-2002, 06:14 PM

(((((((Smltd27)))))))
Sending many healing 's your way and keeping you in my . You will "get your life back". Keep your friend close by and your doctor informed. Don't worry about what others think. Recovery is our time to be selfish. Those that haven't walked in our shoes can't understand. I remember one crying spell, DH asked what was wrong and all I could do was because I had no idea. You have gotten good advice here from the other ladies. Antidepressants are there for a reason and if you need them, by all means, don't hesitate. You stay close in touch with us. We care about you. We're all in this together. Karlene
Unread 07-23-2002, 09:17 PM

Smitd27..Sweetie s

I know just what you are feeling and hear what your saying... I went through a bad bad time after surgery with depression... I just could not handle anything.... I was overwhelmed... .
This surgery does a number on our bodys and brain.. And you can't help what you feel.... But let me tell you what did it for me a little pill[ANTIDEPRESSANTS]I felt like a new person within days... I just was lifted and smiled and all of a sudden things didn't look or feel so bad anymore.... I was put on zoloft and felt good but got a skin rash so my GP, took me off and didn't put me on another for 10 days..... I went down so fast......I went on prozac and feel great... I will never be without and if I have to take it the rest of my life then so be it.......

PLEASE... Call the DR and tell him/her you need something now!!!! you don;t have to feel this way, So many of the sisters are on antis......Go to the ER if you really feel bad.... the sooner you get help the sooner you will feel better... We are here for you sister and you are not alone... We care about you very much...... Im so glad you have your friend with you[nice friend] I will for you sweetie...... But PLEASE call your DR.... tell them you need something now!!!!!Hang in there help is there for you and you are cared about...... keep posting... call the dr OK????

s to you sister

SIS
Unread 07-24-2002, 08:11 AM

Oh hon, I feel for your. I had anxiety attacks for years, even without the surgery! I've been taking an anti-depressant for about 8 years now and my life is so much better. I hope for you it's a hormone thing and with a little adjustment you'll feel better. Please keep in touch with your doctor - suicide is really not an option! It seems sometimes with depression that there is no way out, but there is. Unfortunately sometimes it takes time to find the right solution, but there IS something out there that will help you get your life back.

God bless your friend for being there for you! You are so lucky to have her. Don't worry about anyone who doesn't understand what you're going through, you have enough on your mind right now without worrying about them! E-mail me if you want to any time. I check my e-mail constantly since I'm not working. I'd be glad to do anything I can for you. We're all pulling for you here, don't forget that!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register