No symptons | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 07-25-2002, 09:41 AM
No symptons

I have had fibroid cysts for 5 yrs, had lap done in 1997. When I went in May for my yearly, my DR. said she could not feel my ovaries, so went for the fun ultrasound. Results , uterus is size of 16 weeks, and cysts have gone from 6cm to 10 cm. I have multiple cysts. The only sympton I am having is occasionaly I have a pulling in my right side. Periods are still very regular and no heavy bleeding. Dr. says , since I am not having any symptons, this is the reason she has given me several months to stew on the operation. I go back Sept. 3 to be checked to see if the cysts are growing at a rapid speed. I still think of the old saying," if it is not broken, do not fix it". Dr. also says it is more difficult to remove the uterus if we allow it to get much larger and then is could start pushing on some of my other organs. I am still not convinced this is the right thing for me,especially with complications that I have read that some of you have experienced. Any imput would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Raelee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-25-2002, 09:55 AM
We're all different!

s Raelee! This is a very difficult decision only you can make for yourself. Since you're on the fence, maybe you should to to the Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives Forum
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/for...p?s=&forumid=4

Keep in mind, however, that many of the posts are from who've been having complications. There are lots of us out there who are doing quite well and haven't felt the need to post (except to respond to posts).

Good luck in your decision!
Unread 07-25-2002, 09:56 AM
No symptons

Hello and welcome to Hystersisters!
It sounds to me like you have a very thorough, thoughtful doctor. And I imagine you count yourself fortunate to NOT have the symptoms that many of us do before surgery.
When you mention the "right thing to do" do you mean the waiting or having the surgery? IMHO, you are on the right tract - close monitoring. You will likely know when the time has come.

Keep reading, studying and talking everthing over with your doctors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-25-2002, 01:11 PM
No symptons

Welcome Raelee. Gustogal and LindaJean have made very good suggestions, so I will thrown in something different....just as food for thought.

Two things in your favor: no painful symtoms and no urgent decision needed. "This is a good thing", as Martha would say.

As far as the saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it,"( I noticed you cleaned this up )...well, I believe it is broke. I believe fibroid tumors are not normal, common yes. You have these things growing in you that could become symtomatic and turn into an emergency. I would rather be proactive and have some control over the situation then wait for the emergency which could result with a more severe diagnosis/prognosis.

With over 19,000 members you are only currently looking at a hand full on the Post Op side who are dealing with common effects of surgery within their 2-3 months recovery. The standard is 8 weeks off work and 12 months to get everything back to normal. Much of what you are now reading gets resolved with time and healing. Yes, there are some who are on the Road Less Traveled, who have more or new or old problems. They are also working on them to resolution. Yes, they are the ones that I hold dear to my heart...they truly are having a difficult time. This is the risk all surgery patients take.

I agree with the others...you need to feel comfortable and confident with your decision. And when you aren't having symtoms.....it would really be hard. Do your research, get a second opinion and weigh the pros and cons (make sure you include possible symptoms from not having the surgery; prolapses, incontinence, decaying fibroid, etc.) You have time..take it.

Unread 07-25-2002, 04:41 PM
No symptons

Hi Raelee. You've gotten some great advice from the other ladies, but if you don't mind, I'd like to add my .

I was diagnosed 3 years ago with fibroids, but since they weren't causing any trouble we decided to let them be. As they grew (to 16 week size) they began to make themselves known. My periods did get a little heavier, but nothing major. And I'd never had cramps until about a year ago. Still, Tylenol was all I needed to keep them under control. My biggest problems were constant bladder pressure and, more recently, bowel pressure. My DR and I discussed leaving things be, as well as some of the complications that can come from leaving them to grow inside me. We finally decided that since I wasn't planning any more children and because I didn't want to feel the constant sensation of having to go to the bathroom all the time we would do a hyst. Well, 3 days later I panicked. After reading the stories some of the other ladies posted I canceled my surgery because I felt guilty for even cosidering surgery when I wasn't anywhere near as bad off as some. I posted some questions and the ladies here helped me see that heavy bleeding and severe pain are not the only reasons to have surgery. My problems were legitimate and doing nothing was not necessarily the best option for me. I am now 2 weeks post-op and I feel great!

You are the only one who can decide if you are ready for this. I just want you to know that you don't have to "earn" the right to feel better with heavy bleeding and painful cramps like I unfortunately thought at first. You are certainly on the right road to making the best decision by getting informed and asking alot of questions. I wish you the best of luck whatever you and your DR decide.

Diane
Unread 07-26-2002, 05:36 AM
No physical symptoms

Hello! I can relate in that I have no physical symptoms either. I used to have hemorrhagic bleeding - that is all under control. Yes, I have fibroids and my ovarian cysts were incidentally found while I was undergoing that "fun" ultrasound of the pelvis to monitor my endometrial stripe and fibroids. The cyst on the left is a definite dermoid - has not changed in size or characteristics in almost a year, the right side has functional cysts. Both Benign.
My CA125s are all normal. I have no fluid collections or lymph node involvement - therefore nothing looks suspicious. Yet, here I am in line for a BSO/TAH! True my uterus is termed "very large and has fibroids". The doc also through in "I don't see anything suspicious BUT I won't know until I go in and see the tissue under the microscope!" Kind of leaves you with food for thought.

It is so difficult to make a decision to elect to have major surgery when you are not feeling particularly bad and have no symptoms. Functional cysts, have been known to get very large and then burst, but these are functional, benign cysts that fill with fluid. Suspicions start to rise when a ovarian cyst is complex, persistent and septated (having like little walls within it), or some solid cysts can be suspicious. However, mine is a solid dermoid which is benign. I am 55 and still cycling every month!!

If this is not an emergency hysterectomy for you - take some time and get a couple more opinions. I plan on asking the next doctor to please "justify" this surgery for me. It is major and there is a lengthy recovery from what I have learned. Ask them to justify the surgery for you - that surgery is a last resort. I am a soldier and I can do this even at 55, but I have to know that it is necessary because as far as "quality of life issues" - nothing is interfering with the quality of my life other than the mental anquish over this. I want to get my head out of my pelvis and back on to life!! I am not trying to discourage you but I understand how you feel. You don't feel the need for surgery has been clearly validated for you. Maybe another opinion or two would help. Good luck and take care. Luv, Lulu :
Unread 07-26-2002, 08:57 AM
No symptons

I am 4 weeks post-op. I had a TAH/BSO. My surgery was for heavy, constant bleeding and suspected adenomyosis. My path report also showed endometriosis, a cyst on one ovary and a benign tumor on the other that didn't show up in the ultrasounds. My recovery so far has been great. I am 48 with 2 grown children and a husband who watches me like a hawk to see if I'm over doing. I haven't needed pain meds since mid-day the day after surgery. My MD allowed me to start driving some at 2 ˝ weeks (as soon as I could get in the car without taking it easy). At 3 weeks I started going to my husband's office for 2 or 3 hours a day to do desk/computer work. Everyone's recovery and situation is different so you can't go by ours, good or bad. You may want to ask your MD if delaying would require a TAH instead of a TVH. That wouldn't necessarily make your decision but sometimes one bit of info is the final piece to help you put it all together. I'm praying that the Lord will bless you and lead you to the right decision for you.

Love,
Susan
Unread 07-26-2002, 10:51 AM
No symptons

Thanks to all of you who responded to my post. I worry about things that may never happen or before they actually do happen. I have type A personality and do not know how to change. I know at times I ask too many questions, and would be much better off if I did not know the answers. I will keep researching and will have many questions ready for my next dr's visit on Sept. 3. In the mean time I will be sending my only child, a son, off to college in about three weeks. I will need to make sure he has made the adjustment and is getting along ok at school, before my final decison is made. Of course, I myself will have to adjust to his leaving also. Well here comes the tears!!!
See I have empyt nest syndrom and he has not left yet...I will keep all of you LIW, in my thougths and prayers. I wish you all a speedy recovering.

Thanks for listening!
Raelee
Unread 07-26-2002, 11:36 AM
No symptons

Hi again Raelee,

It's pretty difficult to see your son go and think about losing your uterus all at the same time. That "empty nest" feeling never went away for me and my son left 10 years ago.

You must see your son off and attend your Sept appointment. There is time for research and you will know when and if you are ready. Until your decision ( either way ) is made, please know that we are here and we understand the turmoil this surgery creates in our lives.

Bless you,
Unread 07-26-2002, 02:12 PM
No symptons

Empty nest can really add to the difficulty of any decision. Both of our children are in college and both had prior ministry commitments that have kept them gone for the summer. Before my surgery I was concerned that it would bother me for them to be gone, but it turned out to be a blessing because I know if they were home I wouldn't have napped as much, I would have spent too much time trying to cook and would have wanted to go places too quickly. I'm including your son in my prayers for you.

Love,
Susan

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register