hyst for chronic pelvic pain? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

hyst for chronic pelvic pain? hyst for chronic pelvic pain?

Unread 07-25-2002, 02:32 PM
hyst for chronic pelvic pain?

I need some advice:

Although I suffer from textbook endo symptoms-my recent lap was negative.

I also have frequent (every 2-3 weeks) bleeding, which can be very heavy with clotting. This continues despite a recent d & C

I also suffer from "estrogen dominance" -bad pms, incredible water retention, etc. My hair is falling out and I've been tested for everything and so far everything is normal.

So far nothing has worked. I am taking micronized progesterone but refused lupron after researching it thru the FDA.

I have been diagnosed with "chronic pelvic pain". My doc and I have decided to go with a hyst leaving my left ovary. (My pain is terrible on the right) My doc would prefer to give me lupron as a "diagnostic tool" but I figure why go thru that and just prolong the inevitable. I already have children, a tubal 13 yrs ago and am 39 yrs old.

My question is this: the doc says that the only thing she can guaantee is that the bleeding will stop. Yiipee! But she cannot guarantee that the water retention will go away or even that the cyclical pain (ovarian pain, painful intercourse, painful bowel movements) will go away.

Has anyone had a hyst for these symptoms and did you experience relief? I would really appreciate your input. I go for pre-op next week.

mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-25-2002, 02:48 PM

Oh hi Mary,

While you are waiting for replies...post this same question on the POST OP forum. Those girls over there have had their surgery
and perhaps can give you before and after ideas.

Sounds like your poor uterus is in trouble but I guess there can be other things too that might contribute to pelvic pain. At least eliminating it will make you feel better and narrow the other possibilities.

If I may ask, what does it feel like? Like an army standing on the pelvic floor or sharp pains that come and go? Is your back or leg involved?

I believe a hostess on the "Road Less Traveled" forum has this. I will read around and see if I can find her. Until then, hang in there.
Unread 07-25-2002, 02:56 PM

Thank you maralyn. i'm new here and am not that good at finding my way around the site. i'd be happy to see anything you find.

mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-25-2002, 03:14 PM

Hi again Mary,

I read around, "The Road Less Traveled" forum and think this is where you need to post. These are sisters who have had a hysterectomy but are still having problems due to numerous things. Go back to the Forum page and scroll down, I think it is the seventh forum. You might learn alot from those gals. It can't hurt to post on different forums in the beginning if you need help.

I did look up pelvic pain on the net last month and found a site stating that muscle pain can present (mimic) pelvic pain.
It lists 8 questions for you to test yourself so you can rule out muscle pain. You can find it at http://www.wdxcyber.com/npain05.htm The theory here is that you do have pelvic pain but it is actually originating from the spine because... its all the same nerves.

I too, am concerned that I will still be left with back and leg pain after a surgery for out of control fibroids. Guess I should cross that bridge when and if I come to it.

Best of luck,
Unread 07-25-2002, 03:54 PM

The bleeding/clotting you described sounds a lot like my "textbook" fibroids. Plus I had awful cramps, very long periods, hip, lower back, and leg pain, exhaustion... If you haven't already, you could have a vaginal ultrasound or hysteroscopy to see if you have fibroids. Keep in mind though that US can miss them, and they don't have to be large to cause trouble - so if you don't seem them on US, that doesn't mean they aren't there.

Best of luck!
Unread 07-25-2002, 06:17 PM

Can you give me information on your hysterectomy done with a spinal?
Unread 07-25-2002, 06:45 PM

Just click the little "www" button at the bottom of my posts - tons of details.
Unread 07-25-2002, 07:17 PM

Hi Mary I am in the SAME boat your in. I have had chronic pain for 4 yrs now ( I am 32). I was diagnosed with endo ( on my left ovary 4 yes ago) through a lap. But the pain got 100000 times worse after that lap. I could harly walk somday, it completely took over my life. I went on Lupron which worked wonderfully for me. No more periods and No more PAIN. I was so happy to be out of pain that I didnt care about the side effects from the lupron. But you can only take it for 6 months, so when I came off BAM the pain was back with a vengence. I tried b/c pills, pain management, trigger point injections, Biofeedback. NOTHING worked! Had another Lap and told the dr to take out my left ovary (thats the side my pain is on). He said after the sugery that I looked "clean" no signs of endo at all??!! Ovary came back from pathology ok. SOoooooo why was I in sooo much pain? I went on depoprevara, took the pain away, but blead for 1 yr straight and gained 30 pounds. So now I stopped the depo and BAM the pain is back! So dr and I decided its Hyst time. He thinks I have "microscopic" endo, which can for some women be more painful that if you are coved in it. So he will take my remaining ovary also, because with endo its not a good idea to keep the ovariees they are the fuel that causes the fire. Sorry so long, but wanted to share my story with you. My hyst is 8/8.

Donna
Unread 07-26-2002, 06:47 AM
DEPO

I too have had similar problems as yours. I had these problems 5 years ago and had 2 surgeries for the
and adhesions. I was put on Dep for
because I had already had Lupron prior to 1st surgery. I gained 40 lbs. My ? is, have you been able to lose any of the weight? I have not. I have yo-yoed around with 10 to 18 lbs. and that's it. I get to a certain weight and my body says "nope, you're done, no more weight loss for you" Please let me know. Good luck with your 8-8 hyst. Mine is on 8-27.

Wendy
Unread 07-26-2002, 07:12 AM

I am new here too. My surgery is scheduled Aug 19th. The biggest reason I decided to have the surgery is the lower rt front/back, pelvic and just recently rt thigh to knee pain. I am 55 and cannot seem to get through men-o-paws. Though diagnosed with PCOS, I have two children but now the symptoms have gotten the best of me.
My Ultra sound shows one left fibroid and 3 rt cysts but as with your GYN mine says no guarantee the pain will go away.
I went to an internist on her recommendation and he looked for arthritis. Very minimal and not enough in the pelvis/hip area to cause this much pain. However, he did give me some samples of Vioxx 12.5mg (1am & 1pm) and I must say they are the only thing that has helped my pain.

One thing I have done and would encourage you to do, is research, research, research.

Remember we are all special and what works for one does not always work for another so don't give up and learn from everyone.
This is a great site for that. I also go to the Soul Cysters site and now use the "Hunter Gatherer" eating plan or Glycemic Plan. It has helped me lose 23#'s and all in all I feel better even with the pain.

Good luck and Cheers from Breezeie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register