The News Was Very Bad Today - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The News Was Very Bad Today The News Was Very Bad Today

Unread 07-26-2002, 07:40 PM
The News Was Very Bad Today

Margaret

I think this hospital needs you on their board of trustees!!!! Then you could implement the changes to benefit we cancer patients. I am so glad to see your sense of humor still firmly intact!! I swear, Ellen, no matter what the situation you always make me smile.

karenann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2002, 08:10 PM

Ok, Ok, Ok We can't have you freezing and starving while ya get your chemo!! So, even if it is just a cyber snack.......Close your eyes Ellen and imagine this.....remember the hippo on the disney shows that wore a too too and danced around?? Well, that's me..LOL...and while your reclined back getting infused with MORE toxic chemicals, here I come tiptoeing in the room, tray held high above my head with your special amaretto coffee, and those Wonderful Butter S cookies from La Brioche...can ya see me yet?? .....Then I have this warmed blanket, been saving it just for you....tuckin you in so you're nice and warm. LOL...got the picture? Now, just think of me when you get started on your treatment. Hope I can bring a smile to your face!
When I had my treatments, it was kinda the way karenann did, except we had volunteers coming around every 15 or 20 minutes and they had a snack cart with goodies on it, but I had one nurse that stayed with me from checkin till I checked out and she brought me blankets and soda and water, whatever I wanted. Most of the time I just wanted to be left alone!
Wish I was there with ya Ellen, but if you need me, I'm HERE, ok?
Wishing you many smiles, with lots of hugs and prayers, and of course angels too!
Susan

PS: That hospital definitely needs you on their board of directors!
Unread 07-27-2002, 05:37 AM

Oh my....
I am shocked that you guys didn't get fed or have reading material or "warmies"!!!!

Wow..... Our clinic sounds like yours karen, with the recliners all lined up and the room was indeed cool.
I was there from 9 to 2 at least, and we always got lunch. A sandwich, juice, cookies and a piece of fruit. Plus there was always access to juice and crackers and cheese or cookies at any time.

For those of us who had the IV in the hand.....the nurses at my clinic make up "warmies' They fill rubber gloves with really nice warm water, tie the end off, and put it over your hand and put a towel over it. Thats a really nice added touch that our chemo angels would do for us. Its amazing how cold your hands get when kept still with an IV in it for hours. And they also always had a closet full of warm blankets.

Come to my clinic Margaret!! I will be your personal assistant at your beck and call during your treatments!!!

M.xoxoxo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2002, 07:22 AM
Some of you are SO lucky where you get chemo

They stopped serving at lunch time in the clinic where I go (attached to the hospital) last May. I guess they used to send up a standard lunch tray from the kitchen and with that hospital you never chose--you got what they dumped on it and that was it, take it or leave it. I think most people weren't touching the food (which is awful there--mostly inedible--I threw out whole meals) and then they were trying to save money (the clinic would have to pay the hospital I'm sure). So now you get your choice of a juice drink (not real) or apple juice (guaranteed to send me to the ladies' room several times, shall we say) or else an off-brand of soda (white or cola) that tastes so bad that even I, who live on soda, couldn't handle it. People who bring relatives can have them run for something; otherwise, you're best off taking nothing there. Maybe it won't be so bad since this is a shorter infusion and I'll have toast and stuff when I get home (afraid of carbo and vomiting, so I will tell them I won't eat dinner that night). I would see people up there getting chemo looking so sad and playing with the little bit we got. At least they don't try to foist off the awful stuff I got up in the cardiac thing last year. The doctor fouled things up and wanted me rushed up there early with no breakfast and we waited 25 minutes later than the scheduled appt. for him. In the meantime, I raised holy hell as I'd had nothing at that time for over 12 hours and you're allowed a simple, light meal--so out comes this person with a package of three dry, dark brown foul-smelling crackers--no water, nothing, just three goshawful dry crackers I threw right in the wastebasket in front of her and said anyone who would give me that was plain nuts and told her just to get out. (She did). I think hospitals are very patient-unfriendly in many ways and it would take just a little bit--like at this Clinic--to make it so much nicer. So those of you who get service--be thankful!
Unread 07-27-2002, 08:11 AM

MARGARET,
I AM KEEPING YOU IN MY PRAYERS EVERYDAY.
YOU HAVE BEEN THROUGH SO MUCH I AM SURE
THERE WILL COME A SILVER LINING SOON.
Unread 07-27-2002, 05:56 PM

(((Ellen)))

Sweetie, keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. I just wanted to add my 's to those above.
Unread 07-28-2002, 10:28 AM
Go on Strike

Ellen,

(finally got the name right) Have you thought of bringing a sign like strikers use when pacing in front of [fill in the blank]. It could say "Starving in Cemo", "Free the Food", "Let Fruit Juice Live at 100%". Bring a new one each day!!

But, seriously, my thoughts are constantly with you. My mother battled cancer twice, and like you, she never lost her sense of humor or humanity.

Hugs

Laura
Unread 07-28-2002, 12:14 PM
I'm so sorry...

Margaret (Ellen) --

I'm so sorry to hear of your bad news. It is truly heartbreaking, this cancer. I know you are a strong woman and an inspiration to us all. Chemo can do wonders and I am praying that the carboplatin will work for you. If it doesn't, my MDs have told me that there are many, many chemo drugs out there that can work.

Hang in there, my friend -- remember, we are feisty Badgers, the toughest of the tough, and we're going to make it!

Love you lots,

Cyndy
Unread 07-28-2002, 08:10 PM

I am so sorry to hear your news. I am praying that the carbo works and your side effects are mild.

I have read this on ovca network and I like to think about ovca being a chronic illness. That you have to go for treatment from time to time, but that the treatments work in keeping the disease at bay- for a long, long, long, long (until they find a cure) long time. I hope this is true for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register