Walking causing pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Walking causing pain Walking causing pain

Unread 07-26-2002, 02:48 PM
Walking causing pain

Hi Everyone,

I'm 15 days post-op, TAH, horizontal incision, both ovaries remain, cervix taken.

I've only been able to take an outdoor walk twice--day before yesterday and today. Both times (and when I've walked to the mailbox several times), my incision really aches the whole time. It feels like a band stretched across the incision and the band is being tightened with each step I take. It's so uncomfortable that I dread to walk any kind of distance! I've guestimated the distance that I walked today as about two tenths of a mile--not far at all, even for me--it's all totally flat and easy walking.

I'm wanting to get back on my treadmill, but figured walking the dog--10 lb puppy--would be more interesting as sitting in this house is making me stir crazy! Also, we have the fold up type treadmill and have to keep it folded up when not in use. It's quite heavy to let the tread part down and to lift it back up, so I haven't even attempted it! (trying to be a good princess!) I've thought about getting my son or partner to set it up for me before they go off to work, but then it would be in the way big time until they come back home....*SIGH*

I was wondering if anyone else has had anything similar to what I'm feeling? This is driving me nuts! LOL (Well, I'm already nuts, but.....well...lol)

hugs,
Ria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2002, 03:21 PM
Walking causing pain

HI Ria,

When I walk I feel the exact same way. Even when I walk real slow I feel incision pain. I just take tiny walks inside my house instead because I'm afraid to do too much. When I take it easy and don't walk too much - I notice I feel much better the next day. I'm really trying not to overdo it.

Don't worry - these weeks will pass and you will be on your treadmill sooner than you think. Until then...just take it easy and let your body heal.

Best wishes!
Unread 07-26-2002, 03:28 PM
Walking causing pain

Ria-
I have alot of incisional pain if I walk too far. I'm 3.5 weeks post-op now & am measuring my walks by driveways. I'm up to 5 driveways & back as of yesterday. I really feel it by the time I get home. I'm a person who is used to walking 5-10 miles per day at work prior to surgery & exercising almost daily.

As far as the treadmill goes, I would call your doctor & ask if it is ok for you to use it. He may want you to just go at your own pace & not push it. I asked my doctor at my 3 week post-op appointment if I could use my elliptical trainer. He told me no & we would discuss it again at my 6 week appointment. He told me only walking & most light activities only until then.

Becky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2002, 08:16 PM
Walking causing pain

Well, in spite of knowing better I walked to the end of the road and back this evening. Now I'm paying for it big time! My entire belly is sore...all the way up under my breasts! *SIGH* And tonite I have the dreaded

I gave in and called the doctor this afternoon about the constant on-going bladder pain, too. They did a urinalysis at my one week post-op and it was negative, but she decided to put me on Macrobid just in case. She would have wanted me to come into the office if I'd called earlier in the day, she said. Now I have to go back in 10 days or so for a follow up on the bladder pain. Oh well...

AND on top of everything else...*SIGH* I'm having diarrhea. I'm pretty sure this is a result of the gallbladder surgery I had just 5 weeks prior to the hyst. Every time I eat, even if I try really hard to ensure that what I eat is low fat, within half an hour it hits me HARD! And I'd better be close to a bathroom when it does or I'm in major trouble!!! Add this to the sore tummy from the hyst and you have a very unhappy Ria!!!

What's a gal supposed to do? Thank the Lord for humor! And for my partner who has a wicked sense of humor that gets especially wicked when teamed my son, who also has a wicked sense of humor! They have had me holding my tummy and laughing till I cry from the pain as well as what they are going on about! LOL

Special thanks to hotlady and short circuit for your words of encouragement!!!

big hugs,
Ria
Unread 07-27-2002, 06:55 AM
Walking causing pain

Ria, I didn't have the same problem you're having when I walked, but I had a tip given to me that I want to share with you to see if it helps you over time. When you are standing and walking, make sure you are standing up as straight as possible. This will make sure that your muscles are getting stretched back into their usual position. I actually started this at the hospital. I would make it a conscience effort to stand up completely straight, before starting off on any walks, even just to the bathroom. This helped me a lot. This is just a thought on something you might try. Now, if you haven't been doing this, start in sort of easy getting up straight and tall. Don't just do it all of a sudden. You'll need to sort of easily restretch things to their original position. Take care!
Unread 07-27-2002, 09:27 AM
Ria

What really seemed to help me was the belly binder I got at the hospital. I used it when walking or riding in a car or when my belly ached. It really gave me the support in my belly that I needed for a while. I used it for about a month and then weaned myself off of it.

You can also purchase them at a medical store in your area. They are called abdominal binders.

Good luck

Unread 07-27-2002, 10:54 AM
Walking causing pain

I also have been trying to stand up nice & tall after my surgery like Nanci suggested. Other people who have had hysterectomies & nurses have made comments at their surprise about how straight & tall I'm been standing.

I talked to my doctor about the abdominal binder before surgery & he didn't want me to use one. He told me by using one it just takes that much longer for your abdominal muscles to get back into shape.

Ria, I had my gallbladder removed at the same time as my TAH/BSO. My family doctor at my last visit was questioning me whether I had problems with diarrhea since then. He told me that your cystic duct afterwards often dilates to act as a substitute gallbladder. When it is doing that, you can have a variety of bowel problems. I've been having the opposite problem, constipation, though the last few days. He doesn't want me to have that either so told me to take a laxative for that.

Becky
Unread 07-27-2002, 12:07 PM
Another suggestion for the walking...

In addition to standing up as tall as you can, and wearing some sort of support panty (which works for some women...helped my back enormously the first four weeks until my abdominal muscles could handle the load) I have another suggestion. When you walk, try to swing your legs from your hips, rather than your belly. This is weird to describe, I know, but try to picture your belly/pelvic area as staying straight, while you swing your legs forward from the hip sockets.

I don't know if this makes sense, but it was the easiest way for me to get around those first weeks. I also planned for my walks. About 20 minutes to half an hour before I went out, I would take my medication for pain (I was breaking Vicodin in half and taking them with some Advil on dr's advice) so that I could move more naturally and not stiffen up even more.

It is important to keep moving. For some women, that works out to ten minutes of walking around the house each hour. For others, one or two big walks a day works better.

Good luck. Gentle s!

Audrey

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register