Help!! Three different opinions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help!! Three different opinions Help!! Three different opinions

Unread 07-26-2002, 08:54 PM
Help!! Three different opinions

I'm sorry if this is long!!I am fairly new and I have been reading these messages which have been very helpful. After getting a three different Doctor's opinions I thought I would see if anyone here could help. I have a 5cm fibroid on the outside of my uterus pressing on my bladder. It's causing alot of bleeding, pain and bladder problems. I am 43 years old and I do not plan on having any more children.

My first doctor said he was going to do a myomectomy. He told me I needed surgery and it took three weeks to get an appointment to discuss it with him. The only info he gave me was when I asked him a question then he acted like I was bothering him!!

So a friend recommended her Doctor and I went to her. Very nice and spent a lot of time answering my questions. Her opinion was to do a hyst. She would do the myomectomy but didn't think it was the best procedure and wanted to do D&C also because she thinks something else is going on other than the fibroid.

Now I have two different opinions. I figured instead of driving myself nuts I would get one more opinion to see which of the two recommended procedures I would do. Of course it wasn't that easy, he had another idea! He wants to put me on birth control for 4-8 weeks to see if my symptoms go away and if they don't then do a hyst. In the meantime he wants me to do an endometrial biopsy because he thinks there is something going on also. He also did not want to do a myomectomy.

I decided the myomectomy is out. I already have a date set for surgery August 16 with the second Dr. and now I don't know what to do? The question is, Is it worth trying the birth control? If it even works at all, will it only be a temporary fix and prolonged the inevitable? If that's the case I'd just rather get it over with. I know every situation is different, put if anyone has tried the birth control please let me know if you think this could help.

Thanks!!

MishK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2002, 08:37 AM
(((hugs))))

((MishK)),
It gets so confusing exp with you getting 3 different opinions on what to do?!? A Hysterectomy is a major surgery and the outcome can sometimes bring more problems than what you started with On the flip side, many are very pleased with their surgery and wish they would've had it done sooner. I'm not one of the lucky ones but I am neither anti nor pro Hyst. I would suggest tho that any and all viable options be tried first before resorting to a Hyst. I believe this should be a last resort. Many of us have learned we need to educate ourselves, there is so much our Drs seem to neglect to tell us Please research your symptoms and options, weigh the pros and cons and then go from there. Only you can make this decision, for you will have to live with the results. Here are a few links that might be of some help:

http://www.uterinefibroids.org/
http://www.fibroidcorner.com/
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/ann....php?forumid=4
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=61217
http://www.obgyn.net/ah/ah.asp

Whatever you decide we will be here to support you! There is tons of excellent info here on this site. I would only wish for you or any women in your place to be able to make a well-informed, educated decision. Good Luck and please keep us posted....
Unread 07-29-2002, 07:54 AM
choices, choices

Hi, MishK;
I can sympathize totally with what you are going through.
From what I've read here and experienced on my own, I would try the birth control to manage your bleeding--even if it's a temporary fix. From reading the posts here, it seems like lots of the hysts were preceeded by myomectomies.
It seems that an imbalance of estrogen/progesterone is the culprit in lots of cases, mine as well. Ask your doctor what he has in mind for you as far as b/c goes and then do some research--there are some good books on hormones available here.
Personally, I don't think you should rush into any surgery.

Hope you find the answers you are looking for!
JoAnn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-31-2002, 12:20 AM

Thanks for your advice. I saw my doctor today and I am going to have a D&C and hysteroscope on August 6. She is concerned that my problem is more than just Fibroids. This will hopefully give me more information to make a better decision on wether I will have the scheduled TAH on August 16 or try Birth control pills.

Thanks!!

MishK
Unread 07-31-2002, 04:46 AM
Excellent starting point

That's a great idea--I had both (unfortunately not at the same time) and it revealed lots of news.
I'm glad your doctor suggested that before going in an taking out your uterus. The D&C alone may bring you some relief.

Please keep in touch!
JoAnn
Unread 07-31-2002, 07:33 AM

((MishK)),
Good Luck on the 6th Hopefully the less invasive options will help. Please keep us posted....
Unread 07-31-2002, 12:16 PM
D & C

MishK;
Don't be afraid of the D/C and hysteroscopy. It will all be over in 30 minutes (you'll be under anaesthesia, right??) and you'll walk out of the hospital about 3-4 hours after the procedure. Please do keep us posted!
JoAnn
Unread 07-31-2002, 02:31 PM

Yes, I'll be under anesthesia. I actually feel like the D&C is the right thing to do, so I'm anxious to have it done. Then I'll have more information other then the ultrasound to make my decision on. One way or another I hope I don't have to go through another period like I'm having now, it's so disruptive to my life. I had to miss work and today is my anniversary. I was looking forward to today we have theater tickets and now I can't even stand us straight. It days like these that I just want to be done with this, but I feel in my gut that more tests are the right thing to do.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,
MishK
Unread 07-31-2002, 02:45 PM
Theatre

Just load up on advil and go enjoy yourself. I have missed way too many things since this started with me. Even now, I'm afraid to leave the house without a maxi-pad, several in my purse and a couple of tampons!!! The D/C is definitely the way to start. They run pathology on the tissue and really get a good look at what's going on in there with the scope where they might just see a polyup or nothing at all--it's the rational way to approach this whole hysterectomy thing.
After my D/C, I got a shot of depo-provera to keep the lining thin and stop the bleeding--it was GREAT!!!! Unfortunately, the second shot caused some sort of allergic reaction and my doctor won't give it to me anymore.

What show are you going to?
Where are you in NJ? I'm in White Plains, NY. Practically neighbors???
JoAnn

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register