Finally have a diagnosis - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Finally have a diagnosis Finally have a diagnosis

Unread 08-02-2002, 06:47 PM
Finally have a diagnosis

Hi Legume and the other ladies writing in,
It is so helpful to read all this. I had an endo. biop. in May which showed precancerous cells. Everything takes so long. I just had a D & C last Tuesday and I am shaking in my boots, waiting for the pathologist's report. If it is cancer I will have a hyster right away.

What are the normal symptoms of endo. cancer?

Judy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-02-2002, 08:41 PM
Finally have a diagnosis

Endometrial cancer does not show up on a Pap smear. The main symptom is abnormal uterine bleeding, especially after menopause. Another symptom is a thickening of the uterine lining. I had the kind of heavy, constant bleeding that goes along with fibroid tumors, which I clearly had. The transvaginal ultrasound I had in February showed that my uterine lining was "totally effaced", or thinned out. I'm glad you have had a biopsy. It sounds like any cancer you might have will be caught early, when it is very curable.
Unread 08-03-2002, 03:27 PM
Finally have a diagnosis

Hi Teacher 2,
I am a teacher too. I was curious about two things. You said your lining was thin, even though you had cancer? Do you suppose that is why they missed diagnosing it? My lining is thinner than they expected, 5mm. But I could have cancer too.

Secondly, what is a transvaginal ultra sound? Is it different from the one they do in the doctor's office?

Thank you and I am happy that you had such a good outcome.

Judy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-03-2002, 07:45 PM
Finally have a diagnosis

During a transvaginal ultrasound, a "sonar" wand is inserted into the vagina and moved around inside. I'm told that they can get a lot closer to the organs and thus get a much better view of what's going on. My ultrasound report doesn't say what the thickness of my uterine lining was, just that it was "totally effaced". Since my ultrasound was at the beginning of February and my hysterectomy was at the beginning of June, I'm wondering if the cancer just wasn't visible at the time, and grew alot during the 4 months. It could have made a difference between a Stage 1 and a Stage 3. It's my own fault for waiting until the school year ended, as we teachers tend to do.
Unread 08-04-2002, 11:44 AM
Finally have a diagnosis

Hi Legume and all that replied to her.
what a wonderful group of concerned strong women we are. I was diagnosed in April with ovarian cancer and have been on a roller coaster ride ever since. everything just happened sooo fast. I too am a teacher and had to take off for 6 weeks after my April 18th surgery. I also tried to put things off until after school ended but am glad that i did not. I have finished 4 out of 6 rounds of chemo already.(5th one is next thursday) and will be done before school starts in september.
I know how scary all of this is but it does get better as time goes on. Legume, please keep us posted as to how things go.
Rosalie
Unread 08-04-2002, 12:02 PM
Finally have a diagnosis

Rosalie, as you know, we teachers are really bad about putting ourselves last when it comes to our health. I'm so glad you went ahead and had your surgery before school was out. I was always one of those who thought I'd be letting the kids and teir classroom teachers down if I wasn't there to teach them, and then the paperwork deadlines at the end of the year seemed so much more important. No more of that! I'm going to be the worst nag in the world reminding all my teacher friends to put themselves first and take care of themselves. I hope to finish my radiation the Friday before our kids start back to school, although the radiotherapist mentioned last week that the oncologist is thinking of extending it for a while longer. Yuck! I don't know how much more my intestines can take. I'll be in a portable classroom this year--a looooong way from the restrooms, and I may have to beg my principal for a port-a-potty! You're right, it's scary at first, but it does get better, and as my gyn told me, cancer is not a death sentence these days. Good luck to all of you, and let's show this disease how strong we are!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register