Tummy Tuck question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Tummy Tuck question Tummy Tuck question

Unread 07-29-2002, 06:48 PM
Tummy Tuck question

I had a TAH/BSO 13 days ago and had some questions for those of you that have had tt with your TAH.

How long did you have to wait until you could climb up and downstairs?

How long until you were released to drive?

How long were you in the hospital after surgery?

Did your PS have you wear a binder or a girdle?

Did you have any complications from doing too much after surgery?

How much pain did you have after surgery?

When did the majority of the swelling go down?

I am having several issues and getting different answers from different doctors and was just wondering about your basic experiences. I would appreciate any help.

I am going to be in a wedding 3 hours away at 6 weeks post op. I can't fit into the bridesmaid dress right now (I am 13 days post-op) so I am freaking a bit wondering if I will be able to fit or not.

I am wondering if I need to pay another $170 for a bigger dress or if I will be able to fit in it by giving it soem more time. This is frustrating.

I also have had to go upstairs on several occasions but my PS said not until 6 weeks. Just curious about others' experiences.

Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2002, 07:33 PM
Tummy Tuck question

Hi! Hope you are doing great! Here are some answers to your questions.

1) I could do stairs slowly and carefully at about 2 weeks, but in retrospect, I probably shouldn't have been doing them since I had complications at about that point.

2) I was released to drive at 5 weeks (but released for sex at 4 weeks!).

3) I was in the hospital 2 nights (total of about 34 hours).

4) I was put in a binder in the OR, and wore that 24 hours a day (washing every couple days). I got a panty girdle that came up high (under my breasts so it held in my stomach as well as the hyst/incision area) that I started wearing at about 3 weeks. I wore it during the day, and the binder at night. It is just now (at 5-1/2 weeks) that I stopped wearing either.

5) I had complications from the TT because I did too much right after surgery, and specifically after the drains were removed. I walked a lot within the first 2 weeks, walked to get my own prescriptions, walked to get dinner, walked up hills, etc. etc. I pushed it, and I swelled and then couldn't breathe for a about a week. The PS had to pull fluid out from my abdominal area 3 separate times for me to be able to breathe and move. It was not a happy time, but I'm fine now. I just had to go backwards for a while. I am just now walking a lot and getting my stamina back. I had evidently upset my lymph system and it wasn't reconnecting to handle fluid buildup.

6) I did not have a huge amount of pain after surgery. I took codeine for a couple days after I got home. I don't like it because it gives me weird dreams and constipated me, so I just started taking ibuprofren and it worked fine.

7) Haha. That's a funny one... NOT. I'm still swollen. Although it is great in the mornings, when I move around, walk, drive or do ANYTHING, I swell up quite a bit by afternoon. Unfortunately, even my clothes that fit before the surgery (that I assumed would be hanging on me) still fit me because of the swelling. Flat belly, but SWOLLEN!

When I was having problems, I told my PS what I had been doing. She put many more restrictions on me than the GYN, especially since I had a problem. He released me to do just about everything at 4 weeks. She told me to wait until 5-6 weeks, so I'm just now adding in everything. I even vacuumed yesterday for the first time!

I'm now driving, took a first bath the other day, have had sex and the big O and came through great, and am breathing just fine. I am feeling like a real person, but the clothes issue is one that I just don't know. Would you fit into the dress with the panty girdle on?

Take care. I hope you are doing great and don't have any complications. I remember talking to you before the surgery!! Yeehaw. You are on the other side, and hopefully healing happily!
Unread 07-29-2002, 07:48 PM
Tummy Tuck question

Hi Sister!

First of all as my Doctor told me last week, we are still fresh! Im three weeks today and still taking it slow. I figure the questions you asked are different with everyone depending on surgery and age and other stuff, so I answered your questions as a TAH/BSO
45 year old women.

How long did you have to wait until you could climb up and downstairs?
We live on the second floor and obviously I had to climb stairs right away to get in. But, I waited just about a week before I climbed back down them. I only climb them maybe twice a day now. My body really lets me know if I over did. I pay more attention to that.

How long until you were released to drive?
I have driven locally. (Up the street to the store) but this was just 2 days ago.

How long were you in the hospital after surgery?
In Tuesday @ 9:30 am Out Thursday @ 8:00 pm

Did your PS have you wear a binder or a girdle?
No

Did you have any complications from doing too much after surgery?
No

How much pain did you have after surgery?
I had pain around incision area that kept me on strong pain medication for about 5 days. Now I just take Tylenol when needed. Still am doing light stool softeners though.

When did the majority of the swelling go down?
Still have some swelling. I would say I felt the most relief from it after the 2nd week.

I am not the best to answer about buying another dress though. I’m wondering if I will need to but a few outfits to start back to work. I figure if I keep going as I have I should be fine, but some of the other sisters told me they are beyond 6 weeks and still not comfortable in their old clothing yet.

Hopefully we will both get an answer!

Keep resting and listen to what your body is saying, sis!

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2002, 08:46 PM
Tummy Tuck question

Hi...I might as well give my worth ! I am 5 weeks post op from TAH/BSO and TT. I am more swollen now than at any time before. My stomach that knida hung (yuck) before is gone and that part is great...but the hard knot is there almost all the time, and makes wearing anything tight at the waist impossible! Depending on how the dress fits, you should be OK. My swelling is mostly below my belly button(which was also sutured around) to my pubic bone. The area where the drains were located are also still a little sore. I was in the hospital from Tuesday to Friday. Was on pain meds mostly every 4 hours the first week, then only a Tylenol PM at night, and occassional Advil. Can honestly say I had very little pain, just trouble getting comfortable trying to sleep. Moving was a chore. I also had to walk bent at the waist for a full week so as not to damage the TT repair. Could have used a cane for that cause I had tremendous back pain. But once I could stand, that was gone! :
I was told by the PS that steps were OK if I didn't overdo them. He seemed to be mostly concerned with NO bending, twisting, lifting or generally anything that involved using the ab muscles.

the GYN deferred to the PS for limitations the first week, then they kinda fliped and the PS said follow your GYN for limitations. He said drive at two weeks, no baths until 4 week post op exam. Still no sex till I go back next week. And No yet!

I feel great at this time...had a lot of constipation, but I always do, so I have tried everthing and was even ready for a Fleet if needed. Taking colace every night, fiber con, prunes..you name it!
Other than the size of the incision ( mine is around both sides ), the recovery seems to be very much the same as just the hyst alone.
Hope this helps...feel free to ask if you have any more.
Oh..the binder is off now for about 3 hours a day....PS said to wear it to sleep for added support, or when walking. But, I feel uncomfortable without it. The swelling seems worse without it!
Take care..
Linda
Unread 07-30-2002, 02:13 PM
Tummy Tuck question

I thought I might as well let you know my experience. I did not have to climb any stairs until I was 4 weeks post. I did okay with that. I still have not driven anywhere, but this is due to some complications that I had. I was in the hospital from Tues. morning to Friday nite. The PS had me wear a girdle, it goes from right under my breasts to my knees. I have to wear it for 6 weeks. Sometimes it really bugs me, other times I'm glad I have it on. I had very little pain. My swelling seems to get better with time. The PS says it is still very swollen and will go down over the next few months. Good Luck!

Linda
TVH, Abdominal removal of ovaries, A&P repairs, TT, liposuction on 6-25-02
Unread 07-30-2002, 04:09 PM
same here

Hey!! I had my TAH/BSO and tummy tuck on the 11th of July. I am almost 3 weeks post op. Anyway, I stayed in the hospital 2 days, was supposed to be 3 but I was doing fine.
I have a one story house, so I have not had to climb any stairs.
I am supposed to wear the binder every day, but not at night if I don't want to.
I am so very swollen, it is weird though, I have lost 20 lbs in the last 2 weeks. The doc took off about 8 or so, and I have not had that much of an appetite, but I drink water and crystal lite like crazy. From my belly button on down, I am flat as a pancake, but above my belly button to under my boobs, I am swollen,it looks kind of weird. My gyn told me that that could take several months to go down. It is kinda like a catch 22. You shouldn't wear tight clothing after a hyst., but you are supposed to wear the binder after the tummy tuck, so............I don't wear the binder as much as I should. I find that when I take it off in the evenings, I am so much more swollen.
As far as pain, I had to take a pain pill last night, mostly because I think I did too much yesterday, so I was hurting last night.I learned my lesson though. Anyway, my doc. said that I could start driving, but only short distances, like within 5 minutes or so of my home, but not by myself.
I hope I answered all or most of your questions.
Good luck to all!!!!!!!

Yolanda
TAH/BSO with tummy tuck on July 11th, 02

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register