Shaving? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 07-30-2002, 07:21 AM
Shaving?

I forgot to add in the previous post I did, that they told me yesterday at my pre-op that they would be shaving pubic hair,
YUCK!!!!!

She said they would just do it in the operating room. I HATE THAT. Anyone had any experience with that? She (a friend who works for my dr. just had a Partial Vaginal 6 weeks ago) said she wished she had done it herself at home.

I know this is kind of personal, but doesn't it itch when it grows back? HOW EMBARRASING!!!!!!

HELP.

Terri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-30-2002, 07:53 AM
Shaving

As for the itching, try baby oil, everytime I have had surgery down that way, I do shave myself, this way I know I won't nick myself or anything, hope this helps
Unread 07-30-2002, 07:58 AM
Shaving?

I am one week post-op, YAY! I had a TVH but was shaved "just in case" I needed an incision. I thought it was going to be a horrible experience, but the nurse just took an electric razor and... zip, zip it was done. I stared at the ceiling the whole time! I figured she does this all day, and if it isn't a big deal to her, it shouldn't be one to me. They only take it off the top area, not between your legs. So far it doesn't itch, but it sure looks funny! Kind of like a goatee Good luck to you. Try not to worry too much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-30-2002, 08:26 AM
Shaving?

Hi Terri,

I am glad pre-op went good! That was one question I didn't ask so I am glad you did. I am very modest and hope that they will do that while I am asleep!! But I liked what DKJ said - they do it every day and probable don't think a thing about it!!

Julie
Unread 07-30-2002, 09:09 AM
I was asleep

so I don't remember a thing, nor being embarrassed.
Unread 07-30-2002, 09:25 AM
Shaving?

In the hospital i was at, they catheterized AND shaved me after they put me to sleep for surgery. That's sort of new for me, i was used to having all that done while awake for other past surgeries. But i guess all hospitals are different....but glad they did, i'm shy too

love and blessings,
Mina13
Unread 07-30-2002, 09:30 AM
Shaving?

Same here - they shaved the top part and I feel like I've got a little mohawk when I look down! Nobody told me that was going to happen, but I've read about it here so I wasn't surprised. They did that and the catheter after I was asleep.

It is itching some as it grows back, which I don't much like. . .
Unread 07-30-2002, 09:35 AM
I asked about this too...

I was told they only shave the top inch or so. I asked doc if I should do it myself and he said that he prefers I didn't because studies have shown that there seems to be a correlation between an increased risk of infection and self-shaving....hmmmm..Dirty used razors maybe?

Anyway, I'm kind of extra 'hairy' there so I have shaved this 1" down section for years. No, it doesn't itch as much as you would think. I'm not shaving for the next week so the good doc will know I followed his request.

It is a bit embarrassing, but you know, these folks deal with this every day. They aren't phased by it so I won't be either. Besides, if that's the worst of it during pre-op, I'll be pretty darn happy!

O.
Unread 07-30-2002, 09:38 AM
Shaving?

For my myomectomy two years ago I was shaved after the anesthesia was administered so I don't know where or when it was done. I was told NOT to do it myself because if there were any nicks or cuts they wouldn't be able to do surgery.

The worst part was when it grew back because it itched soooooo much.
Unread 07-30-2002, 09:41 AM
Try Sarna Anti-Itch Lotion

It's over the counter and non-steroidal. Has Menthol in it so it really cools the itch. I never have itching there, but when I shave my legs, for some reason my thighs start to itch bad when the hair grows back. I use the Sarna. It works great!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register