Prophylactic Hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Prophylactic Hysterectomy Prophylactic Hysterectomy

Unread 07-30-2002, 07:26 PM
Prophylactic Hysterectomy

My Great Grandmother died from Ovarian Cancer, My Grandmother died of Ovarian cancer and my Mother died of Ovarian cancer when I was 7. All of them lost their mothers before they were adults.
I have 7 children and am pregnant with number 8. My husband and I have agreed with the doctor that I will have a hysterectomy after this child is born. I don't want 8 children to grow up without a mother like I did, their grandmother did, thier great Grandmother did and their Great Great Grandmother did.
I am scared of the hormonal changes that will take place once the ovaries are gone. I have a strong faith in God and have prayed about this for years and it seems His will is for us to take advantage of this opportunity to avoid the fates of my maternal ancestors.
Any insight is welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-30-2002, 07:44 PM

(((Lorrie)))

Many 's to you. It sounds as if you've really thought this through, and I applaud you for facing things with such courage and faith. I know some of the other Cancer sisters will be along to offer support. I know very little about ovarian cancer (mine is cervical) and I got to keep my ovaries, so I don't have any hormonal issues right now. I would also like to invite you to stop over in The Hormone Jungle to look into future possibilities for hormones for you or to the No Hormone Desert Oasis if you are thinking of going without hormones. The ladies in both of those forums are super-helpful and should be able to give you some good insight into what you will be facing.

Also, feel free to read the pull-down menus on our home page. There's lots of helpful information there for you as you are preparing for your surgery. My best suggestion for you--get some help lined up to care for the children for a few weeks, and start freezing meals as soon as you are up to it. I have 6 children, and I could never have gotten through all of this without the help I had (especially the food!).

Good luck, Lorrie! I hope the rest of your pregnancy is easy and that your surgery goes well. Please keep us informed of how you are doing.

Unread 07-30-2002, 08:42 PM

s Lorrie

That is quite a strong family history for ovarian cancer. Can't say I blame you for wanting the hyster. However, be aware, that a TAHBSO is not a fool proof weapon against ovarian cancer. Ovca can still show itself in the form of primary peritoneal cancer, even ten years after the TAHBSO. However, the surgery would reduce your risk considerably.
I was 49 when I was dx'd with stage III c ovca. The cancer hospital where I am treated set up guidelines for my three sisters. I hope you also are followed closely. Here is the advice my sisters were given.
1. gyn internal exam every six months with a rectal vaginal palpation
2. a vaginal ultrasound every year
3. a ca 125 blood test each year
My youngest sister had an ultrasound that showed a small complex ovarian cyst along with a slightly elevated ca125. She chose to have the surgery done at that time. The cyst was benign, but she has no regrets.
You should also be aware that a very new accurate blood screening test will most likely be available within two to three years. This test will be much more accurate for detecting ovca than the current ca125.
I am not permitted HRT, so I can't help you there. However, surgical menopause has not be as difficult as I would have imagined.
Best wishes to you. Let us know what you decide.

karenann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-31-2002, 03:50 PM

Dear Lorrie,

I am with you on your decision. Won't it be nice to get that emotional load off of your shoulders? I am so sorry to hear about your family hystory.

I had ovarian cancer. Two years ago in June. I had a radical hysterectomy and an oophrectomy. The reproductive tract is where the cancer most likely returns, so my oncologist and gynecologist took this path.

Your reproductive organs have served you well my friend! My goodness, I bet your home is bursting with love. My twins are 10 years old, and this summer I finally let them in on the fact that I was a cancer survivor. It was hard to explain without getting them to freaked. I did not go into great detail.

When I got my diagnosis, I was more worried about leaving my children without a Mom than anything else. Looks like you and I think alike!

Good luck. You will do fine with the surgery and recovery if you go ahead with it.

Donna
Unread 07-31-2002, 05:32 PM

Hi Again Lorrie

My younger sister, that I mentioned in my earlier post, highly recommends that you visit this web site. It is specifically for women with relatives who have cancer. Hope it helps. It's called FORCE. Facing Our Risk of Cancer Empowerment.

http://www.facingourrisk.org/

karenann
Unread 08-01-2002, 03:55 PM

Hi Lorrie,

I don't blame you at all. My grandmother died of ovarian cancer. I had a hysterectomy for cervical cancer but left my ovaries. If they do not come up with a reliable screening test for ovca in the next decade, (I'm 36) I plan to remove my ovaries as soon as I hit menopause. My oncologist did tell me that a screening is possible within the next few years.

-Denise

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register