GP appt yesterday and disappointment | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

GP appt yesterday and disappointment GP appt yesterday and disappointment

Unread 07-31-2002, 09:15 AM
GP appt yesterday and disappointment

Hi girls...well went to follow up with my GP yesterday and he was back to his wishy washy self

He had the report from the xrays and it said that although there were areas where the stool didn't seem to be moving through all that well, there wasn't anything that could be called and obstruction....he said that didn't mean that an adhesion hadn't gotten worse and was slowing things down which likely wouldn't show up in the xray. He said that he didn't think more tests were warranted at this time as I seem to be feeling somewhat better, and i said that was likely due to the fact that I had taken the week off

I told him what the GS office had said and could his office phone and please clarify when they thought they would get me in for surgery so we'd know in case I need to go on sick leave....and he said NO......basically when they could fit me in would be when I would get it and nothing he could say would change that He said that the next time the pain gets bad to head to the ER and at least the GS would be notified which might help move things along faster

He even went so far yesterday to jokingly say that maybe I had a 3rd ovary that they forgot to remove which would explain all the hormonal cycling type symptoms that I have (pain gets worse, left boob hurts) and I said that they would likely be caused by the endo and he said "except no one has found endo for awhile" hello? What happened to the guy that was saying I had an endometrioma????

Anyways, he has prescribed tylenol 3 for breakthrough pain, since I can't take more oxy without passing out.....so if the pain gets bad 1/2 way through my 12hrs of the oxycontin I take a couple of the them and it should quiet it down......he said he's basically trying to "patch me together and keep me working until surgery" ......I asked him if he thought any of this was appropriate (the waiting, the pain....the emotional stress of it all) and he said no, but that in our province right now that was the way waiting lists were and it was more of a guessing game then anything when it comes to surgery dates.

he is also sending me for a mammogram today because the spot on my left breast that we ultrasounded in Nov is still hurting and feels bigger.

I feel like I"m fighting a losing battle here girls and just have to wonder what needs to happen before I will get the treatment I deserve???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-31-2002, 09:30 AM

Also I asked him about the pain in my collarbone and chest area and he pushed on it which caused me to jump it hurt so much and he said that he could feel some inflammation in the area but couldn't give a good explanation as to why....except that maybe it was like the rest of my joint pain which he also has no explanation for? :burning:
Unread 07-31-2002, 09:56 AM

Gidge,
I'm sorry your appointment was a disappointment. We all need to find that magical doctor.

I'm sending big s Somehow we have to get through this. I'm sorry I don't have more to offer right now my friend, but I'm getting up my courage to see the nasty uro-gyn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-31-2002, 10:26 AM

ah thanks Kim, every little hug and word of encouragement helps, it really does

best of luck with Dr. Nasty, let us all know how it went ok! 's!!!
Unread 07-31-2002, 11:18 AM

Hey Gidge: I'm afraid I have no answers for you either sweetie, but I did want to send along lots of gentle 's! Being in chronic pain sure gets old very fast, doesn't it? I wish you could find some relief much sooner!

Good luck with your mammogram too! I have had some problems with soreness, but no lumps as of yet. I still have no clue what causes this.

I'll keep you in my prayers, Hon!

Lisa
Unread 07-31-2002, 11:27 AM

Gidge,
It sounds like your Dr just doesnt know whats wrong or what to do. It sure wouldnt hurt to send you for more tests, its something the GS might want anyhow when he finds outs whats been happening. My sister has a partial bowel obstruction and is having surgery soon, trying to get Drs schedules to agree on a day. She had a Ct scan and colonoscopsy which showed the obstructions. She is in bed, horrible pain, cant eat solids,if she trys it comes out both ends and makes the pain worse. She had her ovaries removed in march, Gyn saw the adhesions then and left them so she never got better.. she had a hyst 10 years ago.She is seeing a GS now but its still taking too long for her to get in for surgery..very frustating...
Has the Dr mentioned you might have a ovarian remnant? Thats something that needs to be checked out. My Dr suspected I had one 2 weeks after surgery, kind of early for him to be thinking that I thought, I need to get my records to see whats in there so I know why he was so worried about it.He did hormone tests that showed I was in menopause but that was right after being on lupron..HELLO!!! 6 months after hyst my GP who used to be a GYN could feel the endo implants still there, GYN had said lack of estrogen would kill them and did not remove the endo at surgery since he said there was too much.. When you had your last surgery was the GYN looking for the endo?? It could be buried under the adhesions and the internal incisions, it will need to be biospied..
My pain also cycles, I have daily pain but I noticed it was worse at certain times so I started charting it on a calender.What a shock to find it is following the same pattern as before hyst. Does that mean I have a third ovary, ovarian remnant or the endo is producing estrogen that cycles??? I wish someone knew..
I know its not easy to go to he ER but maybe if you go there a few times they will realize how serious this is.Take it easy and enjoy your vacation, one day at a time.... Patty
Unread 07-31-2002, 02:52 PM

((Gidge)),
I'm sorry you had such a disappointing visit Sometimes it is hard to find a partial obstruction because there is 20 some feet of intestines in there If there is a Total Obstruction Gidge, it will show things backing up even if they cant see the actual obstruction. Please be sure to monitor your symptoms and head to the ER if they get severe. Hang in there and try to enjoy your holidays
Unread 07-31-2002, 03:20 PM

Gidge,

I'm so sorry you had such an awful visit! I think its horrible to have to go through so much and you've waited so long and in so much pain. and i know your feeling but just hang in there and try to rest and a little! I also agree monitor your symtoms and if it gets really bad head to the ER, because if need be they call the surgeon right then and there, even if you have to go back a couple of times to get the point across!

Love Colette
Unread 07-31-2002, 04:40 PM

(((Gidge)))
I know how disappointed you must feel and how frustrating this is. I saw my GP last Friday and felt really bad afterwards. I'm sure I'm paying him to make me feel better- give me some hope In retrospect he had a bad day and had a cold himself..........but I was really counting on him to give me some magical answers/solutions. I've got to stop doing tht to myself! He is just as disheartened by this as I am. He's tried so hard and we take one step forward and two steps backwards it seems. He won't even give me ANYTHING to take now and he has days where he contradicts what he said before. He's human and I have to remember that......as long as he keeps trying and points me in the right direction that's all I can hope for. He was depressed about the prospect of future surgery for me because he thought that at least we had that part right.
Hang in there gidge, we're here and we understand.
Unread 07-31-2002, 08:18 PM

well thankfully things have improved somewhat.....check out my post "further mammography needed and GS surgery date" that's right girls I have a tentative surgery date of Sept 23......yay! Unfortunately I also have to have some more tests done on my boob

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register