hormones after cancer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

hormones after cancer hormones after cancer

Unread 07-31-2002, 04:38 PM
hormones after cancer

i had endo cancer in may of 2002. i had a complete hysterectomy
my doctor does not believe in hormones. I am getting the
hot flashes and just do not feel right. I exercise, eat soy and
and do not eat red meat, or processed foods. is there any
help out there for me, or do i just have to be snorfledoodled and feel
out of sorts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-31-2002, 05:41 PM
hormones after cancer

s Ilene

I hope you continue to well in regards to your endo cancer. It sounds like surgery was the treatment for you.
Does your doctor not believe in HRT or does he not think it is a good idea for your type of cancer? Every doctor seems to have a different opinion. I had ovarian cancer and to this point in time am not allowed HRT. That's fine by me. There are others on this site who do use HRT with an ovarian cancer diagnosis. So I'm sure if you check with other docs, you might get varying opinions about what goes best with endo cancer. There is a long thread on this site right now about HRT. I hope you read it. There are also different forums about HRT. Visit these as well.

Best Wishes
Karenann
Unread 08-01-2002, 08:54 AM
hrt and endometrial cancer

I am almost 3 weeks post op for stage 1a endometrial cancer. I am 44. I talked with my reg. gyn this morning about hrt and she said if I need replacement therapy she will agree to it, but she would prefer I not use it for about 2 years. She said that this type of cancer is estrogen fed and even though there is not a likelihood that any cells escaped that estrogen therapy would be the only thing that could feed a cell if one did get out there. She said that the body naturally fights cancer cells everyday and that after two years of health the body would of gotten rid of any possible stray cells, because there would be no estrogen to feed them.
She suggested a combination supplement with black cohosh and soy, along with vit. to help with the hot flashes and other symptoms. I am also taking celexa 20mg for mood. So far so good. I feel really good and the hot flashes are not that bad.
I see the gyn/onc at the end of Aug. and I will get his opinion on all this.
My gyn also suggested genetic counseling to rule out a genetic link for this type of cancer. She said that if there is a genetic link that I should be watched for renal, breast and pancreatic cancers. I had not read anything about these being related to a stage 1a endometrial cancer. Anyone out there with any info??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-01-2002, 10:04 AM
HI

I also had endometrial cancer listed as Grade 1. My doctor is one of the one's that does not feel that we are at anymore risk than those who go on hormones who have not had cancer.
I did not start the patch until I was 5 weeks post op. I was feeling fine without it. However I felt I was still using stored estrogen and would eventually feel some effects. I had consulted Dr. Susan Love's "The Hormone book" and she suggested that those of us who undergo surgical menopause use it for 2 years as our bodies go into shock. Of course she was not weighing out every single cancer and other health situations.
My doc started me on the .1 mg vivelle patch. After 2 weeks I cut it back to .05 mg. I may now cut it down to .375 and see how I do. I would like to get on the lowest dose possible. I also started using Testosterone cream about 2 months ago and it has really helped my sense of well being and energy.
I do feel like my body is in much better shape to fight off any potential cancer cells or free radicals now. My anemia is gone and all of the cancer which has freed up my immune system. I am eating better, taking vitamins and exercising more religiously.
I have read about a genetic marker for endometrial cancer. It is of particular interest to me as I am adopted with no family history.
Chris5 please keep us posted on how you go about the genetic counseling or testing. I am under the impression it can be quite expensive and is not very available in the mainstream yet.
good luck to everyone with whatever you choose.
Unread 08-01-2002, 12:09 PM
Seeshelly

I am still undecided about the genetic counseling. My dr. said with or without being tested for the specific gene I would still come in for frequent checks over the next few years and she and I would determine what ct scans, blood work, xrays are needed to keep everything in check. She also said the risk of recurrence, however low with a stage la would most likely happen within the first 2 years. My understanding is that the risk decreases even more after that point. One point to be made with genetic testing is that there are no laws in place to protect you.....like ADA. In other words would a employer, insurance co be able to discriminate based on a genetic test...if it showed you are predisposed to a particular illness. I for one feel am bit uneasy about that. It would be interesting to know if there is any legislation in the works about this.
The subsequent cancers that she mentioned that could come into play have not been a factor in my family. My dad had colon cancer, which was slow growing and cured.....so that is where she is concerned about genetics. I had a colonscopy before surgery and that was clean as was my inhanced ct. scan, chest xray and blood.
This can be such an emotional issue and I think in some instances screening and testing can get out of hand and good common sense should prevail.
My dr is wonderful and I have been going to her for 20 years. I think she is just wanting to touch every possible base or link. Again, I am going to consult with gyn/onc about these issues....When I talked with him earlier he didn't seem concerned at all about the endo cancer linking to possible future cancer, since it as stage 1a.
Please feel free to private message me or email me and we can stay in touch concerning these issues. Chris

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register