help please--clear liquid diet | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

help please--clear liquid diet help please--clear liquid diet

Unread 08-03-2002, 07:45 AM
help please--clear liquid diet

Hello Everyone--Two days to go and definitely need some concrete advice. Have moved from grieving to being hyperactive and irritable and my brain just ain't working! I just read in the pre-op prep instructions from my doc that I have to be on a clear liquid diet on Sunday (surgery scheduled for 8:00 am Monday morning) during the bowel proep tomorrow. Other than soup, water, coffee with no milk(yuk) and jello (double yuk), what can I have that might give me some sense of not being hungry. I can have cold herbal teas, yes? Any and all suggestions will be gobbled up immediately. Thanks a bundle. Hyper New Yorker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-03-2002, 08:27 AM

I was on clear liquids the first day after my surgery and they gave me popsicles. I never thought they could taste so good!
Unread 08-03-2002, 08:38 AM
Clear Liquid Diet

HI, I also was on a clear liquid diet after my last surgery, I had lots and lots of herbal tea, broth, and it seems like I had italian ice. Kinda got an addiction going to the last one. Take care and good luck.
Let us know how u r.

s Wendy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-03-2002, 09:02 AM

A clear liquid diet is what I experienced during the first few days after surgery...in fact, when my doctor cleared me to have solid foods, I threw up the first meal because it was just too much...so even though it does not sound at all appealing pre-op...post-op, it will seem just right...and you will ease back into normal eating as time goes by. I ate "weirdly" for the first few weeks...lots of wheat thins(which have some B vitamins), cheese(which has calcium), warm water(heated as if for hot tea but without the tea bag in it) which was trick I learned from a hystersister's grandma's secret for avoiding constipation(I desperately wanted to avoid constipation because I had experienced that misery with an earlier surgery), and whatever seemed like a good idea...esp. fruits and veggies as they looked good to me. Hope all goes beautifully for you as you count down the days...and then move into recovery. God Bless, : Nancy
Unread 08-03-2002, 09:30 AM
clear liquid diet

Dear NYer:

Rule of thumb - hold it up to the light - if you can see through it - you can have it!!

Worked for a gastroenterologist once who constantly gave instructions for bowel preps and the above was his rule of thumb! I would add to that though, forget the carbonated things you can see through - they will contribute to your gas pains.

Always, Lulu
Unread 08-03-2002, 09:42 AM

Popsicles and italian ice were a great help! I was on a liquid diet for 2 1/2 days prior to last surgery. I feel for you. After a while it gets better. Stay busy too--soon enough you will be doing the bathroom run too much to realize you are hungry!

Take care! Monday will be here before you know it!
Unread 08-03-2002, 11:19 AM
clear liquid diet

thank you so much for your suggestions. Soon it's off to the supermrkt for popsickles, jello (yuk,yuk))and broth. I do not understand why the diet has to be clear liquid. Does anyone know? I could understand if they were going to scope my colon, but if they aren't and I'm doing a thorough bowel prep, how come I cann't have milk in my coffee or a gallon of ice cream (yum for ice cream; just kidding about the amount), rather than just clear foods? Just curious. Thank you again. you guys have been so great. My dd is home now and helping tremendously to gets things ready and dh is running around too, feeling a bit like a duck out of water I think. Thanks so much. These last couple of days are flying by way too soon. I wonder why I felt so lathargic and drained a week ago and two days before my surgery, I'm feeling like I have to clean every room in the house . Our defenses are so strange, aren't they? Thanks again for your help. A hyper and cleaner New Yorker!
Unread 08-03-2002, 11:29 AM
A clean house pre-op?

You'll be so grateful when you come home to a clean house post-op -- don't forget, after surgery, no for you!

The one thing I did on the clear liquid diet (they made me do it for three days, since my surgery got postponed for a day while I was in the middle of it) was a little bit of a "cheat" that my doctor OK'd. I get very hypoglycemic and my doctor said miso broth was OK (but you have to find the stuff that has no added tofu or other solids). Yes, it was cloudy, but I would wait for it to settle and drink off the top.

And whoever said, no soda, ABSOLUTELY! Once you start your bowel prep, that can make you pretty miserable. Some doctors also say no red drinks, like cranberry juice, as they stain the tissues.

Good luck!

Audrey
Unread 08-03-2002, 01:51 PM
clear liquid diet--clean house prep

Hi again--just back from the supermrkt with a fridge full (far more than I could ever consume) of all your suggestions. Thanks again. Audrey and Lulu, I remember in the past prepping for colonoscopies and for sigmoidoscopies and was always told no red dye. However, it seemed to me to be related to the scoping and getting clear images. The magnesium citrate I bought is red: it just appealed to my eye more when I bought it than the lemon/lime color. And I figured since the plan was not to scope my colon, whatever was up with the red dye business must not apply since noone mentioned it. I cannot drink GoLytely. My electolytes get totally out of whack after just an 8 oz. glass--even before I start passing anything. I makes me positiively ill. So I was allowed mag. citrate for this surgery plus guidelnes to drink gatorade after every trip to the bathroom, which makes a whole lot of sense to me. Do you or anyone else with any sort understand what difference a little rye dye in the colon would make if ostensibly they are not planning to go into the colon? Nothing in the pre-op instructions said avoid red dyes--do you think I should take the mag. citrate back and get the lemon/lime? Now I am obsessing again. Oh dear! Thanks, New Yorker
Unread 08-03-2002, 02:17 PM

The red dye stains the tissues, making it difficult to tell on colonoscopy whether the tissues are normal or not.

Shouldn't be a problem for this, however! My doctor told me that red dye would be OK for my surgery (even though at the time we thought bowel work would be needed).

So, drink away...Mag Citrate is evil, for sure...hope the cherry flavor is better than the lemon-lime! And good luck on Monday. We'll look forward to your Castle story.

Audrey

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register