Why Progestin Isn't For Me | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Why Progestin Isn't For Me Why Progestin Isn't For Me

Unread 08-04-2002, 04:50 PM
Why Progestin Isn't For Me

I had a sub-total hysterectomy in November 2001. I still have one ovary so I'm still producing hormones. My gyn placed me on Megace/Megesterol (progestin: a synthetic progesterone) about 4 months after surgery to shrink my recurring endometriosis. Progestin can also be in the form of Depo-provera, Provera, Prometrium, etc.

These were my side effects while on progestin:

1. Frequent urination with a great sense of urgency. Never had this problem before and it was becoming very frustrating.

2. Mild Weight gain. Gained about 8 pounds in 5 months and I normally lose 5 pounds in the summer.

3. Experienced no PMS or migraines while on medication. This was a plus.

4. Breasts were smaller and did not become sore during the month.

5. Loss of libido and ability to climax (again never a problem, not even after the surgery).

6. Noticed more hair loss than usual (I have very thick hair). A lot more hair in the sink and in the shower drain.

7. Moods were neither high nor low. Felt a little bit too even keeled--almost as if I was merely existing.

8. Slept like a baby. Didn't have monthly insomnia.

I told my doctor that I felt his other diagnosis (adhesions) was probably causing my aching pain and not endometriosis. The medication's side effects were far worse than the disease. I can manage a mild backache, but the loss of libido at the age of 39 was becoming very depressing and frustrating. Also, the frequent urination made me feel horrible. I never could go anywhere without thinking about where the next bathroom was.

My gyn wanted to put me on birth control pills after the Megace, but I opted not to. I'd rather go natural and take my chances. I figure I have about 10 more years until menopause and I want to enjoy these womanly cycles while I have them.

I'll have to take the good with the bad. Granted I got a migraine a week after stopping the progestin, but I feel human again.

I just wanted to pass this along in case any other women may be experiencing this or thinking about going on progestin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-04-2002, 05:19 PM

Your experience is a classic example of how not all drugs work for all people.

I do want to point out that Progestins are synthetic drugs and Prometrium is a bioidentical drug. There is a difference. For some of us who do not do well on Synthetic Progesterone or Progestin, Prometrium has been a good alternative as it is a bioidentical.

I have been on compounded progesterone and am now on Prometrium. I have to say that I liked being on the compounded best, but my new doctor is not comfortable prescribing compounded drugs. Also my insurance does not cover compounded prescriptions. Therefore, Prometrium was a good alternative for me.

I did indeed gain about 6lbs since going on it 5 weeks ago but I also have not been watching my eating nor walking this past month. So, it wouldn't be fair for me to assume at this point that the weight gain is due to the Prometrium. I started back on my low carb lifestyle last Monday and am now down 3 lbs. of the 6 I had gained.

If you have not tried the Prometrium and you feel you benefited from Progesterone therapy then it might be worth a go. If you are happy the way you are then I wouldn't worry about it. Everyone has to find what works for her.
Unread 08-04-2002, 07:09 PM
wendymoo,

Good for you! I wish you all the best as you try to get through the jungle on your own. sometimes , i think TOO MANY things we take can be the culprit...like the saying goes..."why fix something that isn't broke". Good luck..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-04-2002, 08:19 PM

Thanks for your response. I didn't know that Prometrium was a bioidentical progesterone. When I went to Medline they indicated that they were all under the same classification.

About the weight gain. Megace or Megesterol (progestin) is also used to help people gain weight due to anorexia, AIDS, and cancer (wasting away type diseases). It stimulates the appetite.
Unread 08-05-2002, 05:18 AM
Wendy

I took the depo injection for endo. It is just now wearing off and I will NOT be doing the next shot that my DR insists I need. These darn things last three months! As time goes on I feel much better.

It's amazing how meds affect all of us differently! Listen to your body.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register