Any of you ever taken Duragesic patch ? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any of you ever taken Duragesic patch ? Any of you ever taken Duragesic patch ?

Unread 08-05-2002, 10:03 AM
Any of you ever taken Duragesic patch ?

Hi ladies !

I just got back from my 2nd pain dr. app. & they gave me a rx for the duragesic patch. Plus they gave me some Lortab for break-thru pain. They said they dont prescribe Oxycontin to any of they're patients. I thought that was kind of strange
For those of you who have taken it, did you have any bad side effects? I am going to look it up on the web in a minute, but just wanted to know what others' experience is with this med.
I am going to get off here now- I have such a bad headache- feels like my face is going to explode any minute. Another bad sinus infection ............
Thanks for any in-put any of you might have !

's

Susan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-05-2002, 02:05 PM

Yes I took it one time for fibromyalgia pain and it made me so sick to my stomach I couldnt keep anything down. I hope you have better luck than I did.
Unread 08-05-2002, 04:27 PM

Susan,
I used these for over a year before I was switched to Oxy, my body started rejecting them After I got over the usual side-effects Narcotic Pain meds have, I got wonderful relief from it It provides constant pain relief with out the ups and downs of using oral meds! I'm so glad he prescribed you something stronger and I hope you have the same excellent results I did.....

PS-Here is a link with info about them...
http://janssen.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-05-2002, 10:01 PM

Thanks ladies

Blessed: Thats funny - I was reading about it & it supposedly is less likely to affect your stomach- since its a patch. But then, everyone is different too.
Sheri: Thanks so much for the link - it has a lot of good info on it. Sounds like a lot of people are pleased with it. Did you get nausea with it? How could you tell that your body was rejecting them ?
Believe it or not, but I still dont have the rx. My Ins. co. wouldnt fill the rx without some kind of authorization from my dr. And the drs. office was too busy & said they probly wouldnt get to it till tommorrow. So hopefully I'll have it tommorrow.
Thanks for the input !!

Susan
Unread 08-06-2002, 05:07 PM

Susan,
You are only supposed to place the patches on your upper arms, back or chest. Well, the back and chest gave me an awful itchy rash even with using an rx cortisone cream. So I was left to using my arms. They always caused a little irratation but the last couple of months on them I had a horrible reaction, swelling red skin, that was blistering and caused so much pain, so my PA said it would only getiworse and that we should switch to oral meds, Oxy. I've suffered with nausea since my Obstruction surgery, so I'm not sure how much, if any was from the patches I would ask for an anti-nausea med just in case. When you put on your 1st patch it will take about 12 hrs to start working. Please let us know how they are doing for you.....
Unread 08-06-2002, 05:21 PM

Sheri:
Thanks for answering my questions
Can you believe this, but I STILL dont have my Duragesic RX !!!!! The pharmacy said that the dr. had to give the ins. co. an authorization. Well, the dr. STILL hasnt called the INS. Co. to take care of it ! I've called the dr. & pharmacy probly 6 or 7 times now :burning: Last time I talked to the pharmacy at 5:00 they said the drs. office wanted them to fax it to they're other office. Now I'm really confused :eyes: The pain drs. main office is like 2 hrs. away & thats the one where he spends the most time. If I dont have it tommorrow I will be ready to whip out the old broom stick. And they do NOT want me to do that.........
Thanks for listening to me vent- I feel a little better now.

((((((hugs))))))

Susan
Unread 08-07-2002, 07:47 AM

((Susan)),
How awful for you. You finally get something to control your pain better, yet you cant get it Have you tried calling the ins co. yourself? Explain your situation, what you are having to endure and that you need this med now!! I have to fight with my Insurer (BCBS) almost every month about my Oxy! They've changed a lot of the procedures regarding this certain med because of all the negative media hype over it. You can only have it refilled right on the 30th day, you cant exceed the 90 pill limit per month, the co-pay is now $49.00. It's ridiculous!! My Pain Dr always schedules our appts every 28 days to get our scripts (just to be safe in case something happens), you cant have refills on Schedule 2 meds. So every time I try and pick up my meds my Pharmacists has to battle with them. I can say have the world's most compassionate Pharmacist tho, for that I am very lucky He always makes things work out! Because of the pill amount limit, I had to change my scripts to where I have to get 2 separate ones each month. 1 for 30-80mgs and another for 40-mgs, so I can take them every 8 hrs. They are supposed to last for 12 hrs but for many the max seems to be 8.
When I was using the Duragesic patch, I had to change mine every 48 hrs for the same reason. I've heard that many have to do this as well. Did he start you on the 25mcg? I was on that for about 6 weeks when I had to move up to the 50mcg, then to the 75mcg and then finally to the 100mcg, its called tirating and mine was done over a 4 month period) which I was on the longest. Also, if you find you have a problem keeping them stuck (exp in the summer), Jaansen will send you Adhesive
covering that really helps keep them on, for free. I emailed them off their home page and they called me the next day and sent them out to me!

Good Luck getting them and when you finally do, I would really like to know how they are working for you...

PS- They is also another Long-acting med like Oxy but it is MSContin(morphine), should the patches not work out...
Unread 08-07-2002, 12:48 PM

Sheri:

I am SOOOOOOO over it right now :burning:
I just got done talking to the Ins. Co. & get this - they said they wont pay for the Duragesic unless I have tried oxycontin or MSContin. And the drs. nurse practitioner told me that they dont prescribe oxy to they're patients. I have been leaving messages- 2 today & 3 yesterday & they STILL have not called me back !!!!!!
All I get is "well, he's at the other office today, you can leave a message on his voicemail" - AARRGGHHHHHHHHH !! Guess you can tell I'm a bit upset right now.........
So I dont know whats going to happen now. I did tell them on the last message that I need SOMETHING other than what I am taking now. I have had 3 migraines this past week - & each time it was shortly after I took the Lortab, so I know thats whats causing the migraines. Its depressing because I had my migraines under controll for so long. When I tried Ultracet it did the same thing - migraines got bad again & as soon as I stoppd taking it they went away.
I am at a loss here. Do you have any other suggestions ? You've been dealing with this stuff a lot longer than I have. I guess you know the ropes by now

I'll let you know if I make any progress, it certainly cant be too much worse than it is right now.

Susan
Unread 08-08-2002, 01:45 PM

Susan,
I'm sorry, that is crazy!! I know it is a long drive but maybe you could go to the office and stay there til someone works this out for you or you can pay out of pocket, they are expensive tho Call Jaansen-1-800-jaansen and ask to speak to a customer rep and tell them what you are having to go thru to get their product, who knows, maybe they can help Good Luck......
Unread 08-08-2002, 08:12 PM

Hi Sheri !!

Gee, believe it or not but I finally spoke to someone at my pain drs. office. Looks like they are going to try to put me on something else, because my Ins. Co. wont pay for the Duragesic unless I have tried MSContin Or Oxy (which is pathetic because my Ins. is one of the major Co.'s). So they want me to come in on Mon. afternoon to see the dr. I guess he wont prescribe anything different over the phone. And I am allergic to a lot of different stuff too, so I think that scares them. It is just SO frustrating !!!!!!! Its almost like 1 step forward & 3 steps back.............
I did ask the pharmacy how much did the Duragesic cost & get this - its $90 just for a 2 wks. supply !! I just cant afford that right now- thats almost 200$ a month ! Evidently, as far as the Ins. Co. is concerned, this is basically about one thing only - the almighty dollar. The woman I spoke to at my drs. office said she never heard of anything so ridiculous from an Ins. Co. I told her that the person I spoke to from my Ins. Co. said that the Duragesic is used as a "last resort". She said that my dr. generally uses the morphine pump as a last resort ! These Ins. Co.'s have gone whacko :eyes: !
One good thing happened today at least - my ortho dr. released me back to work A light schedule of course, & I have to try & stay off my feet. He said that I do have a stress fracture, but since its not bothering me much & is now about 80% better that I dont need a cast. I was really sweating that one.............
I guess I needed to vent again- thanks for listening to me complain !

(((((((hugs)))))))

Susan

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register